White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2019, 04:31 PM
WSI Guru

Default New Cubs TV network

Crane Kenney made official today that it's happening starting around spring training of next year. More details will come.

The Cubbie Money Machine will never run out now.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:18 PM
WSI Guru

If it works they'll have the funds to do anything they want and buy any player they wish. They'll be right up there with the Yankees and Red Sox. That's if it works...we'll see.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
If it works they'll have the funds to do anything they want and buy any player they wish. They'll be right up there with the Yankees and Red Sox. That's if it works...we'll see.
C'mon... It will not work.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 01-19-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:22 PM
WSI Prelate

It’s only a matter of time before the rest of the world begins to grow tired of the Cubs.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:47 PM
WSI Guru

Kenney also said that there are other partners involved that also include baseball teams. I wonder who he meant by that remark?
Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Kenney also said that there are other partners involved that also include baseball teams. I wonder who he meant by that remark?

Minor league affiliates?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:43 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

I would assume their minor league teams. Also a rumor came out that Sinclair Broadcasting was involved. If so they own Ring Of Honor wrestling who just happens to be looking for a national tv deal. I'm not of each college conferences tv deals but but perhaps that is something they would look into. Lots of TV hours to fill from October-March

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Minor league affiliates?
You have to figure that's the case, which is a bit weird considering MiLB games typically occur at the same time (or similar times) as MLB games. And watching MiLB games on tape delay will only really cater to your most diehard, rabid fans. It's not like that will sell more casual fans on seeking out your RSN.

I'm skeptical that it's going to work. It almost feels like the Cubs are jumping into the RSN ballgame too late. As Lip said, "we'll see."

Now, if MLB has intentions of lifting/changing blackout rules and the Cubs have some type of national MLB partner in mind, then we're talking of a completely different landscape. That isn't happening though because you'd have 25-28 owners who were furious that MLB just handed the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs and maybe the Giants a pot of gold.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
You have to figure that's the case, which is a bit weird considering MiLB games typically occur at the same time (or similar times) as MLB games. And watching MiLB games on tape delay will only really cater to your most diehard, rabid fans. It's not like that will sell more casual fans on seeking out your RSN.

I'm skeptical that it's going to work. It almost feels like the Cubs are jumping into the RSN ballgame too late. As Lip said, "we'll see."

Now, if MLB has intentions of lifting/changing blackout rules and the Cubs have some type of national MLB partner in mind, then we're talking of a completely different landscape. That isn't happening though because you'd have 25-28 owners who were furious that MLB just handed the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs and maybe the Giants a pot of gold.
Wouldn't be an issue as much for the Cubs because of all the 1;20 starts
Old 01-22-2019, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
C'mon... It will not work.
It'll depend on what other assets they'll be able to acquire for the network. They'll be competing with the Sox/Bulls/Hawks for the rest of the sports programming in the area.

If they don't pick it up a lot of other programming and play old Cubs highlights all day....then yeah, it's going to fail miserably. Especially if the Cubs are not good for any stretch.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Workout shows, half-hour infomercials for spray-on hair, prostate remedies, etc. Where there's a will there's a way. Get ready Cubs fans.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
It'll depend on what other assets they'll be able to acquire for the network. They'll be competing with the Sox/Bulls/Hawks for the rest of the sports programming in the area.

If they don't pick it up a lot of other programming and play old Cubs highlights all day....then yeah, it's going to fail miserably. Especially if the Cubs are not good for any stretch.

As with all things it will be interesting to see the price point. I am wondering if transplants exceed locals in subscriptions.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Workout shows, half-hour infomercials for spray-on hair, prostate remedies, etc. Where there's a will there's a way. Get ready Cubs fans.
Lots of Jim Belushi and Jeff Garlin movie marathons to fill the time in the offseason.

That and testimonials from the people in the stands at Wrigley as to how long they've loved baseball and the Cubs.

Ernie who? Fergie who?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Crane Kenney made official today that it's happening starting around spring training of next year. More details will come.

The Cubbie Money Machine will never run out now.
Where will they air games this year, then. Are they still on nbcsn
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Where will they air games this year, then. Are they still on nbcsn
Yes, still under contract with them.