White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 04-04-2019, 05:39 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Right now Cubs fan's angers seem to be directed towards Epstein/Hoyer.


It's the bullpen, of lack of spending for one, that ticks off their faithful.
I think I heard that the Cubs have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll in MLB- I think their lack of ability to develop their own pitching is catching up with them- it's a very expensive starting rotation (both salary as well as trading Eloy/Cease to build it) with only Lester and maybe Hendricks living up to the price.

So far- 2019 reminds me alot of 2004- both years the Cubs were coming off a big disappointment from the previous season- and from the jump, in April, they faced huge pressure and scrutiny- and when they get off to a bad start- the whole thing starts to snowball- downhill.

It's very early, so they can turn this around in a few days- but if they don't- it could get pretty ugly- pretty fast.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
"When you’re going good, you’re not that ****ing good,but when you’re going bad, you’re not that bad. That’s ****ing Satchel Paige there and that’s wisdom.” - Don Cooper, April-2019
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think I heard that the Cubs have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll in MLB- I think their lack of ability to develop their own pitching is catching up with them- it's a very expensive starting rotation (both salary as well as trading Eloy/Cease to build it) with only Lester and maybe Hendricks living up to the price.

So far- 2019 reminds me alot of 2004- both years the Cubs were coming off a big disappointment from the previous season- and from the jump, in April, they faced huge pressure and scrutiny- and when they get off to a bad start- the whole thing starts to snowball- downhill.

It's very early, so they can turn this around in a few days- but if they don't- it could get pretty ugly- pretty fast.
Well they, the Red Sox and Yankees were the only teams over the Luxury Tax penalty.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 PM
MrX MrX is online now
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 5,785
Default

Maddon looks absolutely lost, his entire pitching staff is just a collection of gas cans.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-05-2019, 12:19 AM
102605 102605 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kingdom of Wakonda IL
Posts: 5,272
Default

The state of the 2019 Cubs is very enjoyable to watch unfold. I know I am not the only one before the season that said that bullpen is a dumpster fire.
__________________
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-Up
2011 WSI Football League Runner-Up
2012 WSI Auction Baseball Champion
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
2018 WSI Dynasty Baseball Runner-Up
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM
MrX MrX is online now
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 5,785
Default

I can only imagine what the reaction will be if the Brewers bury them this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think I heard that the Cubs have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll in MLB- I think their lack of ability to develop their own pitching is catching up with them- it's a very expensive starting rotation (both salary as well as trading Eloy/Cease to build it) with only Lester and maybe Hendricks living up to the price.

So far- 2019 reminds me alot of 2004- both years the Cubs were coming off a big disappointment from the previous season- and from the jump, in April, they faced huge pressure and scrutiny- and when they get off to a bad start- the whole thing starts to snowball- downhill.

It's very early, so they can turn this around in a few days- but if they don't- it could get pretty ugly- pretty fast.

Was 2004 the year that the Tribune literally had a "countdown to the pennant" coverage for the Cubs once the season got underway?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,962
Default

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...405-story.html

I need a couple of bottles of this. Brilliant!
__________________

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 5-2
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

282-243
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 PM
MrX MrX is online now
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 5,785
Default

Brewers are lighting Q up.

6-0 and through 2 innings.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:12 PM
TomC727 TomC727 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Suburbs
Posts: 709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...405-story.html

I need a couple of bottles of this. Brilliant!
I saw that. LMAO!!!!

Too bad the article said it sold out in 3 hours.
__________________
GO WHITE SOX


CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:24 PM
TomC727 TomC727 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Suburbs
Posts: 709
Default

Baez ejected.

This team is unravelling.

Here is a question...

If they continue to play like this for...say...another week, how long does Maddon last before Theo the boy genius fires him?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 PM
MrX MrX is online now
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 5,785
Default

Back to back

8-0
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:41 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 27,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
Baez ejected.

This team is unravelling.

Here is a question...

If they continue to play like this for...say...another week, how long does Maddon last before Theo the boy genius fires him?
It's anyone's guess, but to see Joe out the door before season's end would be very interesting. Honestly though, Theo might not have a choice. Still a lot of talent on that team, and this is inexcusable by their standards.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 PM
TomC727 TomC727 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Suburbs
Posts: 709
Default

I guess Baez wasn't ejected. According to At Bat - he was, but he just struck out. in the 5th.

I've been following on At Bat.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 PM
Marqhead Marqhead is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Shadow of the Sears Tower
Posts: 9,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
It's anyone's guess, but to see Joe out the door before season's end would be very interesting. Honestly though, Theo might not have a choice. Still a lot of talent on that team, and this is inexcusable by their standards.
I wouldn’t be surprised he if was canned if they get swept. He’s worn out his welcome and they are itching for a reason to fire him.
__________________


Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-05-2019, 10:11 PM
TomC727 TomC727 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Suburbs
Posts: 709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised he if was canned if they get swept. He’s worn out his welcome and they are itching for a reason to fire him.
I could definitely see this.

Theo the boy genius is just looking for a reason to dump Maddon just to take all the attention away from the front office failures.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.