White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 AM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Default Matt Kemp

He was released by the Reds. Should the Sox see if they can catch lightning in the bottle for 3 months and then try to deal him at the deadline? Its a minimal risk at best

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
He was released by the Reds. Should the Sox see if they can catch lightning in the bottle for 3 months and then try to deal him at the deadline? Its a minimal risk at best
Yes.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-10-2019, 12:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
There's no risk, but I just don't think anybody is going to give up anything of note for Kemp, even if he's able to get back into his 2018 form (probably the best case scenario). The main benefit to picking him up (in that scenario where he does in fact catch lightning in a bottle) would be to be more competitive this year, I would think. For the long term, it might be better to see exactly what we have in guys like Cordell/Tilson.

Here's a fangraphs article from a few days ago, FWIW:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/what-to-...mp-free-agent/
Old 05-10-2019, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

The only scrap heap signings I would want to see would be pitchers. The team should be looking to subtract veterans like Alonso and Castillo, not add veterans like Kemp.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 PM
WSI High Priest

If he clears waivers, the Sox wouldnt have to give up anything right?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
No. He has a broken rib. We already have a washed up veteran on the IL, no need to add another.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
No. He has a broken rib. We already have a washed up veteran on the IL, no need to add another.
There's a WORLD of difference between the two.

It doesn't hurt, and it certainly helps. Can't imagine Kemp won't have better opportunities, but he'd have more playing time here. And he could turn into a tradable asset if he returns in time and produces.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

No.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:28 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
No.
??
Old 05-11-2019, 08:30 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
??
Churros.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Churros.
😂

As for my answer. No. Let Tilson and Cordell play. Iíd rather watch young kids suck than veterans suck. At least we know Tilson and Cordell are healthy enough to field their positions adequately.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
😂

As for my answer. No. Let Tilson and Cordell play. Iíd rather watch young kids suck than veterans suck. At least we know Tilson and Cordell are healthy enough to field their positions adequately.
And maybe one of them actually turns out to be a solid enough player to be tradable or even a longer term solution, though their ages make it tough for them to be a serious long term option.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-11-2019, 09:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And maybe one of them actually turns out to be a solid enough player to be tradable or even a longer term solution, though their ages make it tough for them to be a serious long term option.
Precisely. I’d even be satisfied if Tilson or Cordell (or both) turned out to be a viable productive platoon partner, either with each other or with another one of our OF prospects. For the sake of argument, if Eloy and Robert have LF and CF covered, I’d be pleased to get .800 OPS total production in RF out of a platoon consisting of some combination of one of our LH OFs (Tilson, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker) and one of our RH OFs (Cordell, Adolfo, eventually Bush who has been moved to RF from 3B), and that doesn’t even account for any possible contribution from the switch-hitting Basabe. Even more hypothetically, if we get something useful - even on a platoon basis - from Cordell and Tilson, it gives us additional flexibility to trade from the OF depth for pitching, and/or move Eloy to DH if necessary. And at that point, if Eloy is the DH, we can select a 1B from among the best among Sheets, Burger, or - if we draft him - Vaughn, which might in turn might provide additional surplus prospect capital to include in trade for pitching.

There’s very little risk in giving Cordell and Tilson as many starts as possible in the outfield right now, but with the additional - if admittedly unlikely - upside. There’s much less upside with a veteran like Kemp.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

I disagree wholeheartedly, and over the course of their next 300 at bats I'd take Kemp's talent, even at his age, over Cordell or Tilson - both of whom very likely don't belong at this level.

Kemp hit .290/.338/.481 in over 500 at bats last year. I don't think it's a stretch to say that even in a platoon that is WELL beyond those two.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly, and over the course of their next 300 at bats I'd take Kemp's talent, even at his age, over Cordell or Tilson - both of whom very likely don't belong at this level.

Kemp hit .290/.338/.481 in over 500 at bats last year. I don't think it's a stretch to say that even in a platoon that is WELL beyond those two.
To what end? To win three more games this year and move our draft position down five spots?

If we were competing for a wild card spot, then sure, but we arenít, so why bother?