White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2018, 03:16 PM
WSI Village Atheist

These aren't bad for years ending in 4 either. Another style to showcase.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I agree. We finally, have a classic, unique uniform with colors that compliment the name of the team, etc.

If anything, just tweak the current design and color scheme. I also would like to see the Diamond patch return to the sleeves of the road grays. I also think it would be nice to see an alternate solid white home uniform with pant stripes and collar stripes similar to the Mets alternate home uniforms and maybe an alternative road black jersey that has the Chicago script instead of SOX keeping the black SOX alternate for home games. I also think an alternate black cap with grey bill would look good matched up with the black alternate road jerseys and gray pants.

I know the brass and many fans like the 1983 Red/White/Blue alternates, but I'm over those. They looked good at the time but I like our current set better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The current uniforms are perfect and timeless. It’s great the Sox have had this set now for almost 30 years. Don’t change anything on them. No color tweaks, no underlines, nothing, except add the diamond sock patch to the road uniform. I always thought that Jersey was perfect because you had the city name across the chest, the secondary logo on the sleeve and you could wear that with the SOX on the cap. All the elements represented and no repetition.
Yeah, the current uniforms are excellent. Younger fans who grew up following this team post-1990 don't know how lucky we have it that our team settled on a timeless, classic, great-looking uniform. I grew up following the team in the 70s and 80s when it was one awful uniform after another and the Sox kept changing their look every 5 years or so. The late 70s throwback uniforms were a joke and the early 80s Astros-wannabe uniforms were beyond tacky.

And, I am sick and tired of seeing those awful 1980s uniforms every freaking Sunday for several years running now. Maybe on occasion is fine, but every Sunday? They've basically become alternate jerseys now. I'm sure some fans love them, but they're total eyesores IMO. Let's just keep them in the past. Is this being done at JR's command? Or is this just a marketing department with no imagination stuck in neutral? Case in point, in late 2017 the Giants made a rare visit to the Cell which just happened to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Sox World Series win over the Giants. You'd think the Sox would have worn 1917 throwback jerseys to mark the occasion. What did they wear? The same old 1983 throwbacks.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:48 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Is this being done at JR's command? Or is this just a marketing department with no imagination stuck in neutral? Case in point, in late 2017 the Giants made a rare visit to the Cell which just happened to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Sox World Series win over the Giants. You'd think the Sox would have worn 1917 throwback jerseys to mark the occasion. What did they wear? The same old 1983 throwbacks.
A couple of points. It was Jeff Torborg who told me personally that he told JR they had to get rid of the 1990 style "Dodger" script uniforms in favor of something else and he suggested the current uniform which is based on the "classic" 1951-1963 style worn during a large part of the Golden Era.

He told me, he told JR that really only the Dodgers could pull off that look and since he played for the Dodgers he knew of what he was saying. Jeff told me that JR looked at him and said, "Well I designed those uniforms" (because JR was and still is a huge Dodger fan). Needless to say this caused an uncomfortable moment or two but like Jeff said he finally got JR to agree to the change.

Also this is from my interview with Brooks Boyer in 2008, for what it may be worth to you:

ML: “Throwback’ games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series. To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our “Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,” where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th. We don’t want this to become gimmicky; we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans." (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)

My suggestion to everyone posting on this uniform thread is to contact Brooks and let him know how you feel about certain uniforms or if you have any ideas on what you'd like to see the Sox wear.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Perfect. I didn't realize that the 1964 squad had such different uniforms from the 1959 club, but upon a Google search, yes, definitely, let's celebrate them, too, in years ending in 4.

I remember the Sox wore the 1964 uniforms in a game in 1995, it was originally scheduled to be played in 1994 to coincide with the 30th Anniversary of the '64 team, but that game was wiped out by the players strike and then rescheduled for the following season.

I didn't go to the game or even watch on TV because I was boycotting baseball in 1995 because of the strike, but I remember seeing the sportscast that night on the news, and I think the Sox had their only sellout of the season wearing the '64 uni's.

A little history on the 1964 uniforms.

http://www.chicagonow.com/sox-stuff/...ion-1964-1970/