GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2019, 08:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Right now he's nothing more than a DH. It is crazy to think that he should get on the job training in the majors on how to play LF. With him in the field he'll either hurt himself or others. The dismissal of the skill set required to play !B continues to amaze me.
As much as I wish it were not so, I have to agree with this. I want a 1B who actually can play the position. We play in the AL, and we should be taking full advantage of the fact that there is a built-in position to hide a defensively-deficient masher like Eloy. We canít really do anything about it this season, but this really should be resolved by spring of 2020.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Right now he's nothing more than a DH. It is crazy to think that he should get on the job training in the majors on how to play LF. With him in the field he'll either hurt himself or others. The dismissal of the skill set required to play !B continues to amaze me.
I'm not diminishing it, I believe he should take time away from the big league roster to start learning it for the long run.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:29 PM
WSI Guru

Saw video tonight where before the game Eloy was on bended knee throwing on the sidelines without his walking boot. He said it was "uncomfortable."

Very, very surprised the Sox are letting him do this (especially after the Burger situation...) as in taking the boot off and trying to do something.*It only takes him to stumble once or lose his balance and twist that ankle again and the situation could get a lot worse.It may be uncomfortable but that seems to me to be taking an unnecessary risk.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:04 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Saw video tonight where before the game Eloy was on bended knee throwing on the sidelines without his walking boot. He said it was "uncomfortable."

Very, very surprised the Sox are letting him do this (especially after the Burger situation...) as in taking the boot off and trying to do something.*It only takes him to stumble once or lose his balance and twist that ankle again and the situation could get a lot worse.It may be uncomfortable but that seems to me to be taking an unnecessary risk.
Burger was recovering from Achilles tendon replacement surgery. The two issues are not even remotely related and a walking boot for a sprained ankle is not normal treatment. Wrap it and ice it are the standard things players do and athletes suck it up, wrap it tight and go back out there on sprained ankles every single game. Of course it's uncomfortable, but that's a LONG way from dangerous.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It's a twisted ankle, I'm sure he'll fine walking around as long as he doesn't try to chew gum at the same time...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He's not going to get better instincts over night coming from where he is. You're talking about YEARS of both terrible body for outfield coupled with poor reads and range skills before he gets the latter sorted. Then what? A few serviceable but below average seasons of OF defense before he degrades? All while a plethora of OF propsects who are better defenders are looking for a shot.

With two first basemen on the roster, it makes sense for Eloy to take lumps in LF this year. But it makes way more sense to fill the inevitable 1B hole with him, giving him the offseason to work on the fundamentals of the position switch. There are a lot of possible OF options down the line, and really only one maybe at 1B that is probably never going to be good enough to reach the bigs. But if he is, then one of them can DH.
Of the OF in the minors, Robert is the one who looks like a fast riser/bonafide star. And he's at best targeted for next year. Everyone else is beyond that most likely and some of those will fail as the progress. And it's by no means a given that it takes 3 years for Eloy to become serviceable. Lots of players have improved to be serviceable in LF in much shorter time. He's been up for 3-4 weeks (and out for some of those). Perhaps we can give him rest of the season before we give up on him in the OF and start counting on guys like Adolfo/Rutherford/Basabe/etc to be bonafide regulars by 2021?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:32 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
It's a twisted ankle, I'm sure he'll fine walking around as long as he doesn't try to chew gum at the same time...
It's a high ankle sprain BIG difference.

Voodoo: Actually a walking boot is common to help treat high ankle sprains. Saw it myself three times this year just with athletes at Idaho State.

And my reference to Burger was because according to reports he took the walking boot off and was doing something when he tore it again, supposedly he tripped or something along those lines. I completely realize a torn achilles and a high ankle sprain are two different things.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
Of the OF in the minors, Robert is the one who looks like a fast riser/bonafide star. And he's at best targeted for next year. Everyone else is beyond that most likely and some of those will fail as the progress. And it's by no means a given that it takes 3 years for Eloy to become serviceable. Lots of players have improved to be serviceable in LF in much shorter time. He's been up for 3-4 weeks (and out for some of those). Perhaps we can give him rest of the season before we give up on him in the OF and start counting on guys like Adolfo/Rutherford/Basabe/etc to be bonafide regulars by 2021?
I think Adolfo has a shot at being special, though obviously not as much as Robert. I think Steele, Gonzalez, and Rutherford have floors that make them major league players, if not regulars.

I don't believe Eloy will be anything but subpar in LF, and he'll for sure block guys from getting looks if he stays there. If he take time to learn 1B, there's really only one guy he'd block, and that guy is a longshot anyway. If he pans out, DH is still there.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Voodoo: Actually a walking boot is common to help treat high ankle sprains. Saw it myself three times this year just with athletes at Idaho State.

And my reference to Burger was because according to reports he took the walking boot off and was doing something when he tore it again, supposedly he tripped or something along those lines. I completely realize a torn achilles and a high ankle sprain are two different things.
Lip is right about this. For a high ankle sprain, the key is to completely immobilize the area until it is healed. If the White Sox are bone-headed enough to have Eloy trying to push through it, they need to fire their training staff.

A high ankle sprain (which I have experienced) is damage to the ligament between the tibia and the fibula. Without immobilization, it will not heal. Without immobilization, it will persist, cause more swelling, and possibly lead to much greater injury. I'm dumbfounded by the story that Eloy was out there without the boot moving the ankle. I can only hope that either this didn't happen/people are mistaken, or that he has another type of injury.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Lip is right about this. For a high ankle sprain, the key is to completely immobilize the area until it is healed. If the White Sox are bone-headed enough to have Eloy trying to push through it, they need to fire their training staff.

A high ankle sprain (which I have experienced) is damage to the ligament between the tibia and the fibula. Without immobilization, it will not heal. Without immobilization, it will persist, cause more swelling, and possibly lead to much greater injury. I'm dumbfounded by the story that Eloy was out there without the boot moving the ankle. I can only hope that either this didn't happen/people are mistaken, or that he has another type of injury.
As much as people like to criticize the Sox training staff for being incompetent, I have a hard time believing that anyone on this board knows how to treat Eloy's injury better than they do, based solely on internet reports. We've moved from armchair GMing to armchair training staffs on this board...
Old 04-30-2019, 12:31 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

I'm sure Eloy is getting excellent medical care. Perhaps it's a mild high ankle sprain and in need of lesser measures or perhaps the report it was a high ankle sprain have been revised and the Sox didn't release an updated report.

I don't assume our training staff is seriously falling down on the job to that degree.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'm sure Eloy is getting excellent medical care. Perhaps it's a mild high ankle sprain and in need of lesser measures or perhaps the report it was a high ankle sprain have been revised and the Sox didn't release an updated report.

I don't assume our training staff is seriously falling down on the job to that degree.
All I'm going on here is the publicly stated injury and the report here that he was fielding and bending without a boot.

If both of those are true - even if it's mild - then medically they are giving him bad advice that could be potentially damaging. I don't know if that's true, but I DO know that if what's being said about his injury is true, then they are definitely "falling down on the job".
Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think Adolfo has a shot at being special, though obviously not as much as Robert. I think Steele, Gonzalez, and Rutherford have floors that make them major league players, if not regulars.

I don't believe Eloy will be anything but subpar in LF, and he'll for sure block guys from getting looks if he stays there. If he take time to learn 1B, there's really only one guy he'd block, and that guy is a longshot anyway. If he pans out, DH is still there.

I'd hold off on that assessment until after the June draft. There is a chance that the "best player available" could arguably be first baseman Andrew Vaughn.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I know, just a lame attempt at humor on my part....
Old 04-30-2019, 12:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I'd hold off on that assessment until after the June draft. There is a chance that the "best player available" could arguably be first baseman Andrew Vaughn.
Vaughn has cooled off a little over the past few weeks, so it will be interesting to see what scouts will say about him versus some of the guys who are surging (Hunter Bishop and JJ Bleday are right there).