GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Thatís pretty astounding. Gio pitching a 7 1/3 inning shutout without his best pitch bodes well for the Sox future.
If he can continue to get that much speed differential and movement on his changeup it will make him very tough to hit.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't know how that's bad news. The White Sox won without Moncada and Anderson have good nights. And while Anderson has been looking much more ordinary since his home run to end the wild win against the Tigers, Moncada drove in the first run after the Sox sacrificed a leadoff double to third.

It was frustrating that Moncada struck out later in the game to fail to advance a leadoff double to third, and Cordell was left at second to end the inning. It was also frustrating that Anderson hit into the force at home with the bases loaded and one out to keep the Sox from getting a third run.

Really, the game shouldn't have been so close. When Renteria did the Indians a favor by replacing Giolito with Fry, I thought the Sox were going to lose it. But for a close play at first eventually going the White Sox way, this could have been an Indians win.

The Sox played a pretty good game tonight, beating the team that's supposed to be the best in the division for the second night in a row. I don't believe the Indians are a superior team, even if they are the better team in a matchup with the White Sox. The Sox won the last two night nights with excellent starting pitching and some timely hitting, Monday night being heavier on the timely hitting and Tuesday night being heavier on the pitching excellence with Giolito pitching shutout ball into the eighth.

Tonight's wasted scoring opportunities, though, weren't that far from costing the White Sox their best-pitched start of the season.
Its bad news because homefish predicted Moncada was a bust and it appears he is wrong so he stresses every failure in game based on failures.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM
WSI Regular

So maybe this is a topic for another thread but with the way they are playing lately and the weak division, I'm having a hard time understanding why there isn't more discussion around Dallas Keuchel.

I understand it didn't make sense at the start of the season but here we are two games under .500 and a team that for a month and a half now has proven that it can score runs but lacks severely in pitching. It even looks as though Rodon may not pitch again for the Sox.

All of the arguments about breaking the bank for Machado or Harper are relevant here only on a much shorter time frame.

For the next four to five years the hope is that you'll have Kopech, Cease, Giolito and Lopez in the rotation, why not a solid veteran to pitch until he's 35-36?

I get the idea that this is still partially because we're rebuilding but don't guys who are part of the rebuild deserve to understand the feeling of consistent winning? Not saying that this would take them to a 90+ win team this year but I really fear the inevitable slumps this team is going to have when you only have two decent pitchers in the rotation who are both still learning in their own right and are likely to have a few bad stretches, and then Nova who has been hit or miss.

Just a thought, would 4 years $90 mil with a 5th year option based on performance be something that would get him here.

I just fear we're going to lose a lot of games 10 to 8 this year if we don't address this somehow. Seems like a waste of offense.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:51 AM
WSI Prelate

There is a reason Dallas Keuchel remains unsigned: his skills as a pitcher are visibly diminished.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've actually grown fond of Homefish's posts over the years but Flight's post is one of the best on here since You Write the Cubune Headline days.

I can't see that there is any question that Moncada looks better. Who knows what the eventual outcome will be when all is said and done, but for now it's fun to watch his improvement.

Meanwhile I can't stand even to look at Fry. I try to console myself that bullpens all over are bad and but man, when you get a well-pitched start and have a lead on the line it's sooooo depressing.

Onward and upward against the Jndjans in their nearly empty stadium.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
You know what they say, give a man a HomeFish and he'll be down about the game. But teach a man to HomeFish and he can be down about the whole season despite all the visible progress!

This is one of the very best posts I have ever read since I've been here, since 2003.

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I really think Giolito has turned a corner. He hasn't missed a beat from before his injury. Let's keep it going tomorrow!
I think it's finally clicking for him and he's figuring out how to trust the strikezone with out having 97+ on the fastball.

But his stuff is close to elite even without throwing 97 as he once did.

There are so many guys who have elite stuff on this roster who for some reason just can't figure out to trust the strikezone. Covey and Fullmer being at the head of the class for this.

As hard as it is for me, maybe just keep having patience.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
There is a reason Dallas Keuchel remains unsigned: his skills as a pitcher are visibly diminished.
I couldn't agree more. People are just so hung up with the name. But he's really nothing more that 4th starter on a good team at this point in his career.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
That's fair. I admittedly didn't know enough about him or his history so that is why I asked.

I still wish there was a solution to the pitching woe's however as I fear the offensive momentum this team has shown will slowly fade after they are demoralized by pitching 2.5 out of 5 starts.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I think it's finally clicking for him and he's figuring out how to trust the strikezone with out having 97+ on the fastball.

But his stuff is close to elite even without throwing 97 as he once did.

There are so many guys who have elite stuff on this roster who for some reason just can't figure out to trust the strikezone. Covey and Fullmer being at the head of the class for this.

As hard as it is for me, maybe just keep having patience.
I know it's not 97 but he was consistently hitting 94-95 last night even late in the game. That's plenty fast enough.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I know it's not 97 but he was consistently hitting 94-95 last night even late in the game. That's plenty fast enough.
Especially when the pitch is elevated...

In retrospect, I canít really remember Giolito throwing any hittable fastballs right down the middle, yet he still threw an impressive 70 strikes with his 105 pitches. Sure, I would have liked to see more curveballs on 2-strike counts, but I canít blame him for sticking to the fastball-changeup repertoire when his command of those pitches was at such a high level. Jason Kipnis advancing on a foul-out to right field represented the only baserunner to reach 3B against Giolito, so it made sense to stick with the fastball-changeup tandem until Cleveland proved they could hit those pitches.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I wouldn't want the Sox to surrender their 2nd round pick in this year's draft to sign him.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He's throwing harder than last year and the year before that. Looking at Giolito's numbers it's pretty obvious that when the fastball is coming in at 94- 96, he's worlds more effective than when it's coming in at 92- 94. Kind of a "no s***" fact, but it's true.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-08-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Especially when the pitch is elevated...

In retrospect, I canít really remember Giolito throwing any hittable fastballs right down the middle, yet he still threw an impressive 70 strikes with his 105 pitches. Sure, I would have liked to see more curveballs on 2-strike counts, but I canít blame him for sticking to the fastball-changeup repertoire when his command of those pitches was at such a high level. Jason Kipnis advancing on a foul-out to right field represented the only baserunner to reach 3B against Giolito, so it made sense to stick with the fastball-changeup tandem until Cleveland proved they could hit those pitches.
And his changeup was just awesome last night. I've posted it but it bears repeating. In the third when they ended with a strikeout throwout DP, the batter had finished his swing before the ball hit the glove.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
He's throwing harder than last year and the year before that. Looking at Giolito's numbers it's pretty obvious that when the fastball is coming in at 94- 96, he's worlds more effective than when it's coming in at 92- 94. Kind of a "no s***" fact, but it's true.
Quote:
And his changeup was just awesome last night. I've posted it but it bears repeating. In the third when they ended with a strikeout throwout DP, the batter had finished his swing before the ball hit the glove.
Is his return to a higher velocity thanks to improved/more efficient mechanics?

Back when he was in the Nats system, he was ranked among the top prospects in baseball. It would be great (needless to say) if he's finally on track to live up to that kind of ranking. He's still only 24, after all. I know it's only been a few good outings, but the progress is encouraging.