GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2019, 12:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I get why Wrigley wanted to be in the NL East. I donít understand why the other owners acquiesced. Did Wrigley have photos of them in compromising positions?
He bribed them with lifetime supplies of Juicy Fruit.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
I believe “The Lords of the Realm” cited that the primary reason behind the Cubs and the Cardinals being placed in the NL East was Philip K. Wrigley refusing to be put into the western division because of TV.

The advent of divisional play in 1969 resulted in an unbalanced schedule. National League teams played three home and home series (18 games) vs teams in their own division, but only two home and home (12 games) vs teams in the other division.

Wrigley wanted a majority of road games played at 6:00 or 7:00 pm CT rather than 9:00 pm CT. Better ratings, results on 10:00 pm news and made it a lot easier to follow the team.

What I never understood was how the Brewers were moved to the AL East rather than the Sox when the Senators moved to Texas before the 1972 season. The Sox were the lone original AL team in the Western Division
I always thought that the schedule that started in 1969 when both leagues had 12 teams and 2 divisions was great. The season was basically divided into 5 parts, the first, third and fifth parts were against divisional opponents, 30 games in each part for a total of 90. The second and fourth parts were against the other division, 36 games in each part for a total of 72. It was as fair as you can get and it was a good balance with about 55% of games in your own division and 45% against the the other division. If you want a completely balanced schedule where you are going to play every team in the league the same amount of games, why bother with divisions.
The lousy part and a crime was when they placed the Sox in the West.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 01-20-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
The Sox were the lone original AL team in the Western Division
This isn't entirely true since the Oakland A's trace their origin back to Philadelphia and the Minnesota Twins were the original Washington Senators.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox59 View Post
This isn't entirely true since the Oakland A's trace their origin back to Philadelphia and the Minnesota Twins were the original Washington Senators.
Good catch!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
He bribed them with lifetime supplies of Juicy Fruit.
I would have required spearmint. Juicy Fruit loses its flavor too quickly.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Never attended one of those Milwaukee Sox games though saw quite a few Sox-Brewers game at County Stadium.
The Sox weren't the only team that played home games in another city, the Dodgers before they moved from Brooklyn to LA played 7 games in 1956 and again in 57 at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ.

Teams in the NBA in the 1950s regularly played home games in other cities, the night Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points against the Knicks in 1962 was a Warriors home game played in Hershey PA.

Our old Chicago Cardinals played 2 home games in 1958 and again in 59 at Metropoltan Stadium in the Twin Cities.
The Packers for years would play 2 homes a year in Milwaukee.
More recently, the Expos played 22 home games in Puerto Rico in both 2003 and 2004.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:01 PM
WSI Regular

I seem to recall there was a team back in the 00s that had to finish their season playing all games on the road because their stands burned down.

I did a quick internet search and came up with the Boston Beaneaters, but their fire was in May and by July a replacement, though smaller, stands were put in place.

I'm going to Kathmandu
Old 01-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Turtle View Post
I seem to recall there was a team back in the 00s that had to finish their season playing all games on the road because their stands burned down.

I did a quick internet search and came up with the Boston Beaneaters, but their fire was in May and by July a replacement, though smaller, stands were put in place.
Didn't the Expos have to finish the '91 season on the road because of Olympic Stadium crumbling? I think the Yankees had a whole bunch of games moved to the road because of Yankee Stadium crumbling at some point in the late 1990s or early 2000s at some point too.

Go Sox!!!