White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2019, 03:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
So a sore or tight muscle which will be 100% the next day gets you two weeks off?

I hope MLB gives the teams a large stipend for travel costs since the number and frequency of AAA call-ups to fill in 15 day holes will skyrocket.

Or expand rosters to 35 players to allow for 10 additional Bullpen arms.

On MLB last night they were bringing up this very issue and pretty much said there is no solution.

I guess if MLS wants to really speed up the games, they could skip playing the games altogether and poll the fans to determine who wins that day. 10 minutes and they're done.
A sore or tight muscle isn't 100% the next day, especially for a pitcher.

As others have suggested, there would be a shorter DL or something like that. I'm not worried about teams faking injuries at this point, that will be dealt with with heavy fines. Bottom line is that they want to cut down on pitching changes, ultimately I see a minimum pitches for an inning or minimum batters unless the pitcher walks or fails to retire 1 of first 2 batters (can take pitcher out based on performance, not based on matchup).
Old 02-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Something like this. If the powers that be decide that 15 days is too severe, implement a 5-day short-term “inactive list” that does NOT allow for player replacement.
That will result in catastrophic injuries to pitchers who will be forced to pitch through a minor injury, thereby aggravating the soreness, to prevent their team from having only one or two arms in the Bullpen for a few days.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry
That will result in catastrophic injuries to pitchers who will be forced to pitch through a minor injury, thereby aggravating the soreness, to prevent their team from having only one or two arms in the Bullpen for a few days.
OK. Allow for call-ups on the third inactive after the team reaches two inactives. A player goes from 5-day Inactive to the 15-day DL to make room. Any more than two inactives in a five-day period is not likely to occur unless someone is trying to game the system.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:35 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The three batter minimum won't work as we can see from the discussion above.

I say leave well enough alone. Some "problems" are not really problems.

If a team wants to over-use its Bullpen by the ASB, so be it.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I say leave well enough alone. Some "problems" are not really problems.

If a team wants to over-use its Bullpen by the ASB, so be it.
The 3 batter minimum was simply a bullet point on their agenda, there will be more to it for it to ultimately work out smoothly. Suspensions and hefty fines will take care of all funny business from managers trying to game the system. This will likely mean less pitchers warming up in the bullpen daily and less appearances, this will lead to less wear and tear, and injuries.

If both sides want it to work, then there shouldn't be many issues.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I’m not at all ready to acknowledge that as a fact. I hope the league sticks to its guns on this.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Simple solution. Any pitcher or player removed from the game for injury must be assigned to the 15 day DL immediately.
What if it is a cramp?

As for the three batter minimum I am against it. If a manger wants to gas his pen so be it. Is time a factor, limit warmups (cold day? get the guys up in the pen).
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-06-2019, 04:41 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
What if it is a cramp?

As for the three batter minimum I am against it. If a manger wants to gas his pen so be it. Is time a factor, limit warmups (cold day? get the guys up in the pen).
Spot-on.

Oh, if this rule is instituted is any form, throw out the record book on pitching stats. Whole new world.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry
Oh, if this rule is instituted is any form, throw out the record book on pitching stats. Whole new world.
I already threw out the record book once Barry Bonds hit homer number 756.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:20 PM
WSI Guru

If they're indeed going with a universal DH, there's nothing to stop a radical realignment, which I think will happened. Say goodbye to the American and National League monikers. We'll be seeing conferences like we do in the three other major sports leagues, maybe even geographically defined. Maybe we'll even see one playoff bracket which takes every record into account, not two brackets depending on the league/conference. There's literally nothing left to differentiate between the American and National Leagues. If you're going to make it all go away, make it all go away.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
If they're indeed going with a universal DH, there's nothing to stop a radical realignment, which I think will happened. Say goodbye to the American and National League monikers. We'll be seeing conferences like we do in the three other major sports leagues, maybe even geographically defined. Maybe we'll even see one playoff bracket which takes every record into account, not two brackets depending on the league/conference. There's literally nothing left to differentiate between the American and National Leagues. If you're going to make it all go away, make it all go away.
That's not likely. The NFL has no differences between the AFC and NFC, they don't have a single standings for the league. I think you are reading a bit too much into this, they want to eliminate the sometimes not even HS caliber at bats from MLB games by adding the DH to the NL. This will be good for the game.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:31 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
What if it is a cramp?

Well there are solutions for that including the shorter 5-day DL suggested above. If a team has a lot of pitchers developing cramps during the season MLB can look into it.

Heck you could even make it a 3-day ineligible to pitch thing. That would tighten the screws on any bullpen and make them think twice about faking things.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-06-2019, 07:42 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
That's not likely. The NFL has no differences between the AFC and NFC, they don't have a single standings for the league. I think you are reading a bit too much into this, they want to eliminate the sometimes not even HS caliber at bats from MLB games by adding the DH to the NL. This will be good for the game.
But why still have separate leagues? There's no difference between them anymore if this comes to pass.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well there are solutions for that including the shorter 5-day DL suggested above. If a team has a lot of pitchers developing cramps during the season MLB can look into it.

Heck you could even make it a 3-day ineligible to pitch thing. That would tighten the screws on any bullpen and make them think twice about faking things.
No. If managers are stupid enough to burn out arms then that's on them.

Get guys up in the pen. Have them ready to go after getting to the mound. A couple throws that's it. No landscaping, conversing with the catcher, PC or manager. If the reliever is not up on the situation too bad.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
But why still have separate leagues? There's no difference between them anymore if this comes to pass.
Tradition and rivalries.