GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default 2019 Spring Training Thread

Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow, with everyone else joining Monday 2/18 .

Play ball!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 AM
WSI Personality

Finally!!!

My boy and I will be out there in a few weeks !
Old 02-13-2019, 02:49 PM
WSI Regular

I'll be in Arizona next week, but coming back before ST games begin the following weekend. A few years ago, I was in Port Charlotte and the Rays had a special fan day on the opening day of ST that was well attended. (Maybe more than an actual Rays game!) I understand that, depending on the team, workouts are open to the public. Any tips on timing, entry location, etc., for Sox spring training next week, particularly the opening of full squad workouts on Monday?

-- Ari Gold

Old 02-14-2019, 08:53 AM
WSI High Priest

I found this little blurb about Carson Fulmerís last-gasp attempt to resurrect his career, and I thought it was interesting enough to share.

https://sports.yahoo.com/carson-fulm...140030895.html
Old 02-14-2019, 09:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I found this little blurb about Carson Fulmerís last-gasp attempt to resurrect his career, and I thought it was interesting enough to share.

It is interesting that the Sox are not doing that kind of work. It also is telling how many of our young pitchers have struggled since coming to the Sox. Maybe it is time for the Sox to get with modern baseball training.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

More power to him. I can't fault him for not working hard and trying to be a good pitcher.

I still don't have that much hope for him, but it would be a great boost for the Sox if he could somehow get himself back on track.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM
WSI High Priest

What I found fascinating was that Fulmer himself expressed a preference to be a reliever rather than a starter. He thinks the high-intensity, high-leverage short stints align more accurately with his mental makeup. Maybe heís right...
Old 02-14-2019, 05:52 PM
WSI Prelate

A few updates from spring training:

A new twist on the old spring training cliche of a player reporting to camp being in the "best shape of his life" - this report says Giolito is in the best "mental" shape of his life after using biofeedback. I know this will draw some eye rolls, but it's February....hope springs eternal.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...e-of-his-life/

Here's an update on Jake Burger on the comeback trail at Glendale. I can't wait to see what he can do at the plate when he returns to action in a few months.
https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ja...te/c-303946796

Kopech playing catch as part of his long rehab:
https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/mi...mp/c-303911432
Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It is interesting that the Sox are not doing that kind of work. It also is telling how many of our young pitchers have struggled since coming to the Sox. Maybe it is time for the Sox to get with modern baseball training.
Doesnít surprise me. I was a pretty big fan/defender of Cooper until recently, when it became clear how stubborn and regressive his methods are.

Not saying Driveline is the end all be all of pitching (though I donít think anybody can deny they really do know what theyíre doing), but yeah, it speaks to where the Sox are as an organization. Itís not coincidental that the teams that have dominated the last few years (Houston, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox come to mind) are well known to have been quick adopters of the tech and biomedical advancements of recent years.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
More power to him. I can't fault him for not working hard and trying to be a good pitcher.

I still don't have that much hope for him, but it would be a great boost for the Sox if he could somehow get himself back on track.
I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nice to see he's open to relieving. If he can still have an impact, it'll be as a reliever with his old mechanics, they did set him apart, and I hope the Sox let him go with it
Old 02-16-2019, 07:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Maybe it is time for the Sox to get with modern baseball training.
Next someone will suggest that the Sox should use analytics.
What is this world coming to.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Next someone will suggest that the Sox should use analytics.
What is this world coming to.
Cooper has a pretty good track record of keeping pitchers healthy and finding ways to get additional productivity out of them. Perfect? No. But solid and likely envied by numerous other clubs.

That said, even before Driveline, itís been clear that sometimes Cooperís methods arenít for everyone. Letís hope the Sox find a way to bring in fresh ideas about pitching without completely throwing aside what has worked well.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:20 PM
WSI Personality

Please please please let this thread be free of any significant injury reports this year. Last year was the least enjoyable Spring Training of my life. Every other day someone was going down with something major.

Here's to a new and healthy year for our Sox.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:51 PM
WSI Guru

Nice story about Eloy.
https://apnews.com/0a7fda2448f94be5a...ign=SocialFlow