White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What city gets an expansion team?
San Antonio/ Austin 4 6.67%
Charlotte 8 13.33%
Montreal 33 55.00%
Oklahoma City 4 6.67%
Other 11 18.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2017, 12:03 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Indy Indy Indy!!!!!

I would be in heaven if we had an MLB team. Even if it was a crappy one.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em Contest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danryan View Post
So your proposing 4 west coast teams in our division, dozens of games starting at 9 central time and many ending after midnight? Would much rather all midwest teams in our division.
You're forgetting that in 1969, we had three West Coast teams in our division, two from 1970 to 1976, and then three again from 1977 to 1993, as well as a team in Texas starting in 1972.

Baseball's going to need some sort of travel partner system. The scheduling used to be a lot easier before they started jerking teams around due to their division alignment.

Obligatory 2017 attendance record: 0-1 (5-3 loss to Oakland on 6/25)

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
I see baseball going to 32 teams with 2 leagues/conferences of 4 teams each.

I can see the following Divisions assuming POR and MON are the additions:

American League

East: BAL-BOS-NYY-TB
North: CLE-DET-MIN-TOR
Midwest: CWS-HOU-KC-TEX
West: LAA-OAK-POR-SEA

National League

East: ATL-MIA-NYY-WAS
North: CIN-MON-PHI-PIT
Midwest: CHC-COL-MIL-STL
West: ARI-LAD-SD-SF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
I still don't believe it happens. I would argue that if two expansion teams are added, it's one per league, or both to one league (probably the AL) and someone moves from AL to NL. If the argument goes that a Montreal team would be better placed in the AL, and I believe that Portland fits better as an AL team to give Seattle a close natural rival, then someone moves from AL to NL. The most likely candidate would be Kansas City (plus I don't see any of the original eight teams in each league being asked to switch).

There is too much tradition built in AL vs. NL for it to be dumped.

If you put Montreal and Portland in the AL, move KC to the NL, and then go to two divisions in each league, you get:
AL East- Baltimore, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Montreal, NY Yankees, Tampa Bay, Toronto
AL West - Sox, Houston, LA Angels, Minnesota, Oakland, Portland, Seattle, Texas
NL East - Atlanta, Cubs, Cincinnati, Miami, NY Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
NL West - Arizona, Colorado, Kansas City, Milwaukee, LA Dodgers, St. Louis, San Diego, San Francisco

There's also the possibility of not moving KC but moving Tampa to the NL to give them a natural rival in Miami and all three Southeastern teams in the same league. That would move the Sox to the AL East, put KC in the West, and move the Cubs to the NL West, putting Tampa in the NL East.
Okay, I'll take a stab at this. Keeping the AL and NL and leaving the option open for either four 8-team divisions or eight 4-team divisions:

AL East: NYY, BOS, BAL, TOR AL Central: SOX, DET, CLE, MIN (<---or all 8 in one division)
AL West: LAA, OAK, PORT, SEA AL Southwest: TEX, HOU, KC, COL

NL East: NYM, WAS, PHI, MON NL Central: STL, CHC, MIL, PIT
NL West: LAD, SF, SD, AZ NL South: MIA, TB, ATL, CIN

I have Colorado and Tampa Bay swap leagues to get the geography to be reasonable in each division.

This option does place Montreal and Toronto in separate leagues. If we want them in the same league, then move Toronto to the NL East with Montreal and Washington to the AL East (where they can be division rivals with Baltimore). Washington DC was an American League city from 1901-1971, after all.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:22 PM
WSI Regular

Been hoping this happens for years: Houston would be put back into the NL and Colorado would go to the AL. and if Oakland and Tampa Bay move, it SHOULD be Montreal and Portland.

AL East: BAL, BOS, NYY, TOR
AL North: CHW, CLE, DET, MIN
AL South: COL, KC, TB, TEX
AL West: LAA, OAK, POR, SEA

NL East: MON, NYM, PHI, PIT
NL North: CHC, CIN, MIL, STL
NL South: ATL, MIA, HOU, WSH
NL West: AZ, LAD, SF, SD

Go to the NFL style playoffs and expand the playoffs to two wild card games per league instead of one. Still gotta make it fun.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny bench View Post
Think bigger. Put two teams in Mexico City. Its the largest city in North America and opens up a country of 127 million people for future expansion.
It's also in the middle of a large scale drug war with prominent people being kidnapped and / or killed. A very unstable situation...baseball doesn't need that at all.

Pass.
Yep, not to mention that a Mexico City team wouldn't be able to even come close to MLB teams in terms of local TV revenue, corporate sponsorship, and also US dollar equivalent of revenue generated by tickets sold.

Not going to happen.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Killing the AL and NL would be terrible IMO.

Sox fans, be careful what you wish for when dreaming of dumping the AL and NL in order to lump the Sox and Cubs in some sort of Midwest Conference or whatever the hell it would be called. Such a reality brings MLB one step closer to determining there's really no need for Chicago to have 2 teams. At least it can be argued now that Chicago gets representation in both the AL and NL and the different set of teams that brings here every season. The Sox would start to look more and more redundant to the Cubs if we were in the same division as them.

I know people will point to how all the NBA and NHL NY and LA teams exist just fine in the same conf/division. Let's face it, Chicago is NOT New York or Los Angeles. Not even close anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
AL East: NYY, BOS, BAL, TOR AL Central: SOX, DET, CLE, MIN (<---or all 8 in one division)
AL West: LAA, OAK, PORT, SEA AL Southwest: TEX, HOU, KC, COL

NL East: NYM, WAS, PHI, MON NL Central: STL, CHC, MIL, PIT
NL West: LAD, SF, SD, AZ NL South: MIA, TB, ATL, CIN

I have Colorado and Tampa Bay swap leagues to get the geography to be reasonable in each division.

This option does place Montreal and Toronto in separate leagues. If we want them in the same league, then move Toronto to the NL East with Montreal and Washington to the AL East (where they can be division rivals with Baltimore). Washington DC was an American League city from 1901-1971, after all.
That actually looks pretty good. The divisions make geographical sense PLUS we wouldn't be scrapping the AL and NL.

If you want Montreal and Toronto together, you could also go with AL East: NYY, BOS, TOR, MON and NL East: NYM, PHI, BAL, WASH. Though, I'm not sure how much the 2 Canadian teams would like being perpetually blocked in their division by the super rich and (essentially) permanently playoff-bound Yankees and Red Sox. It would also involve moving a charter member of the AL (Baltimore) to the NL, which I wouldn't be thrilled about.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Looks like we're gonna get NL and AL North, South, East and West divisions, with the 2 lower seeded division winners taking on 2 WC teams in the 1st rd (best of 3 at home of div champs), then Bo7 LDS all the way thru. That's what I predict.

Go ahead and make the AL North Sox, Tigers, Twins and Brewers. Idc.
If MLB expands to 32 teams, my guess is that they'll go with 4-team divisions as you suggest. In that case, they could to just do away with the wild card altogether and go with the 4 division winners in the LDS.

I'd be fine with that, but i'm guessing that MLB is not going to reduce the number of playoff teams. So, it will probably indeed be 2 WCs plus 4 division winners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
I see baseball going to 32 teams with 2 leagues/conferences of 4 teams each.

I can see the following Divisions assuming POR and MON are the additions:

American League

East: BAL-BOS-NYY-TB
North: CLE-DET-MIN-TOR
Midwest: CWS-HOU-KC-TEX
West: LAA-OAK-POR-SEA

National League

East: ATL-MIA-NYY-WAS
North: CIN-MON-PHI-PIT
Midwest: CHC-COL-MIL-STL
West: ARI-LAD-SD-SF
I do want them to keep the AL and NL, but I'd be opposed to an alignment that sticks the Sox in a division with far away teams like Houston and Texas. IMO, the Sox need to be division rivals with other Midwest teams like Minnesota and Detroit (and Cleveland, too).
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM
WSI Personality

Dodgers and Padres may play a regular season series in Mexico City in April, 2018.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:23 PM
WSI Personality

It would be great to get two more teams, but like others have said, you have to clean up the Tampa and Oakland problems first. Montreal deserves another team.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

I haven't read through this entire thread, but here's a wacky idea. Use DH for both leagues, same rules across the board, it's going to happen, will probably happen when there is expansion. Expand to Charlotte and Portland. Huge mix-up of teams moving from National to American because the rules now have DH so who cards. Then put all the rivals in the same divisions. If you're playing 18 games a year vs your division, then why not be against the teams that will draw the best attendance.

East - NYY, BOS, NYM, TOR
East - PIT, PHI, BAL, WAS

SOUTH - CHA, ATL, TB, MIA
SOUTH - KC, COL, TEX, HOU

MIDWEST - MIL, CHC, CHW, STL
MIDWEST - MIN, DET, CLE, CIN

WEST - SEA, POR, SD, ANA
WEST - ARI, ANA, LA, SF

KC, COL, ARI, POR, SEA Really don't have rivals. This has a lot of movement and a ton of changes to NL vs AL. With as big as the history of the game is, this would NEVER work! But how awesome would it be to play the cubs, st. Louis and Milwaukee 18 times each year?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Killing the AL and NL would be terrible IMO.

Sox fans, be careful what you wish for when dreaming of dumping the AL and NL in order to lump the Sox and Cubs in some sort of Midwest Conference or whatever the hell it would be called. Such a reality brings MLB one step closer to determining there's really no need for Chicago to have 2 teams.

Uhhhh....no.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
I'd love to see a team in Montreal, but it has to be an American League team.

With natural rivals in Toronto and Boston, they'd make a boatload of money.

Regarding expansion and tinkering yet again with the playoff system, IMO the worst change in the playoff system has been the second wild card team and the play-in game.

Because of the second wild card:

- literally every American League team with a winning record was a "playoff" team.
- Did we really need to see the Diamondbacks and the Rockies play a 20th time to see who'd advance?
- Should a team that won 85 games in the regular season have even the slightest chance of winning a World Series?

One game for a tie-breaker is great. A play-in game, not so much IMO.
When it was first announced, I was against the second wild card team, but I have come around to it. The primary reason was because under the previous set up there was essentially no reward for winning your division vs the wild card. Now there is more incentive to try and win your division vs settling for the wild card.

But back to the original topic. I hope Montreal gets it's team back.

Anticipated next game: 4/26 vs Royals