White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Tadahito Iguchi named manager of Chiba Lotte Marines

Tadahito Iguchi is now managing his old team:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...rines-manager/
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-17-2017, 04:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Tadahito Iguchi is now managing his old team:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...rines-manager/
One of my favorite players. He was just an all-around good player, and I still remember that bomb he hit off Wells in Game 2 of the ALDS after Gaffe-nino had his Buckner moment.

Best of luck to him.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: Hopefully around the beginning of May
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Last edited by MtGrnwdSoxFan; 10-17-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

A January 2005 online search for "Tadahito Iguchi" (when the Sox were rumored to be interested in him) was what brought me to WSI in the first place!

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 10-17-2017, 05:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

A favorite from the 2005 team. Glad to see him getting the opportunity and getting the recognition he deserves in his retirement. I was always sorry his White Sox career was so short.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
A January 2005 online search for "Tadahito Iguchi" (when the Sox were rumored to be interested in him) was what brought me to WSI in the first place!
Same here, my first post was in a thread about him. I want nothing but the best for him.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've seen game 4 of the 05 Series and the locker room celebration right afterwards many times, but I never see Tadahito anywhere. Does he run straight into the locker room when Paulie makes the catch, get his stuff, then head for the hotel.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
I've seen game 4 of the 05 Series and the locker room celebration right afterwards many times, but I never see Tadahito anywhere. Does he run straight into the locker room when Paulie makes the catch, get his stuff, then head for the hotel.
Iguchi was out of the game at that point. Willie Harris was playing 2nd base after pinching hitting for Freddy, and the pitcher was batting in Iguchi's spot. So, it is possible Iguchi was already in the lockerroom enjoying a beverage.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Good for him; Iguchi-san was one of my favorite players from 2005.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
Some fun facts about that time you are referring to:

-During the SoxFest "Town Hall" meeting that January, several Sox fans were asking KW on whether we were going to sign him or not. He wryly smiled at the crowd and said "You guys haven't seen him play yet and you already want him, huh?" The crowd laughed at his reply but as it turns out, all of us were right about Tadahito, including KW.

-All of the scouting they did on Iguchi was through video only. None of the scouts saw him play live.

-About a week after the town hall meeting, the Sox announced the signing of Iguchi.

-After the Sox won the World Series, Tadahito was allowed to briefly bring the trophy back to Japan. I still have a picture of Iguchi and the Prime Minister of Japan holding up the trophy.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:30 PM
WSI High Priest

I am typically a Yakult Swallows fan because of Shingo Takatsu, but I guess I can adopt the Marines as my second favorite Japanese team.

I attended Game 2 of the ALDS, and spent much of it nervously pacing the lower deck concourse. I was pacing the concourse behind first base when I heard the loud crack of the bat and excitement from the crowd. From where I was, I could not see the field of play, but I did see the lights on scoreboard turn on and I knew exactly what that meant. I quickly ran to the right field seats, where my friend was sitting, to high-five him.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I attended Game 2 of the ALDS, and spent much of it nervously pacing the lower deck concourse. I was pacing the concourse behind first base when I heard the loud crack of the bat and excitement from the crowd. From where I was, I could not see the field of play, but I did see the lights on scoreboard turn on and I knew exactly what that meant. I quickly ran to the right field seats, where my friend was sitting, to high-five him.
I did too. Sitting in 158 on the aisle about 20 rows back. When that loud crack reached my ears, the ball was already soaring directly at me. When it fell into the bullpen, it was the greatest Sox game I ever attended. Tadahito will always have a special place in my memories.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:42 PM
WSI Guru

Who knows? Maybe a future White Sox manager.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Who knows? Maybe a future White Sox manager.
Let's see how he does with the Marines before we get any crazy ideas.

I'm still holding out hope that one day AJ may want to try his hand at managing. He's one of the most intelligent players to ever play the game, so I'd love to see what he can do when he's given a chance with a team, if he decides to go that route.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
Let's see how he does with the Marines before we get any crazy ideas.

I'm still holding out hope that one day AJ may want to try his hand at managing. He's one of the most intelligent players to ever play the game, so I'd love to see what he can do when he's given a chance with a team, if he decides to go that route.
Given that he is a former Sox player and how important "loyalty" is to current ownership, nothing is really that crazy given the "family" ties.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Given that he is a former Sox player and how important "loyalty" is to current ownership, nothing is really that crazy given the "family" ties.
Good point.

So far, aside from the emphasis on small ball (which is fine, but we really donít have the team for that, at least yet), Iím overall happy with the job Renteria is doing. Itís more about the development of all our prospects this next year or two anyway, while Renteria keeps the Sox treading water until the cavalry arrives.