White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 31,488
Default Upton back with Angels...

Let the moves begin:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...eal/ar-AAumVCr
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That's weird. He opted out of a contract that paid him more per year for the next 4 years for a contract at slightly less per year but added only one additional year. I thought the whole point of opting out of a $100 million-plus contract was to go for even more gold.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,191
Default

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/260461...year-contract/


According to this article, the new deal nets Upton an additional $17.5M AND a no-trade clause.
__________________
2017 Attendance Tracker: 7-7

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/260461...year-contract/


According to this article, the new deal nets Upton an additional $17.5M AND a no-trade clause.
The no trade clause makes it make more sense but he was owed $88.5 million over the next 4 years on the old contract. That is $22.125 million per year average. He signed a 5 year $106 million contract so he adds one year and $17.5 million on a contract that averages $21.2 million per year. So he gets one more year and a no-trade clause but takes less money on average. After the season he had that is weird. He must like it in LA.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2017, 02:09 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
After the season he had that is weird. He must like it in LA.
Jeez, how will he ever get by on $106 million?
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Jeez, how will he ever get by on $106 million?
Well, yeah, of course. These guys are paid outrageous sums of money to begin with. What is the league minimum these days? Half a million? I wasn't commenting whether he was going to be poor or not anymore than I was when Eaton, Quintana, or Sale signed their team friendly contracts. The point here is that he opted out of a better contract in order to get very little extra in return. That's different than signing for long term financial security in the first place. He already had that. I'm just surprised at how little extra he got for taking the risk of opting out of the previous contract.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:40 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 53,441
Blog Entries: 9
Default

He gets life stability for himself and his family and an extra $17.5M guaranteed to live in SoCal. Why not?
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He gets life stability for himself and his family and an extra $17.5M guaranteed to live in SoCal. Why not?
He got one additional year and a no-trade clause. That ain't nuthin' but it is coupled with less money on average per year (compare $17.5M to over $22M average on the current deal - that's a cut in pay). I'm just surprised he settled for so little after what is arguably his best year. Like I said, he must like it in LA.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2017, 01:53 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 53,441
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
He got one additional year and a no-trade clause. That ain't nuthin' but it is coupled with less money on average per year (compare $17.5M to over $22M average on the current deal - that's a cut in pay). I'm just surprised he settled for so little after what is arguably his best year. Like I said, he must like it in LA.
It's something if it prevents the team from shipping him cross country. You discount quality of life and being able to be sure you can settle down for the next 5 years and not be forced to pack up the family and move to Kansas or NY or some place else.

It gives him stability. The no-trade clause maybe be the reason he actually did it.

Yeah, money's important, but being a highly sought professional athlete and knowing you can now settle in with your wife and daughter and live your life in one spot probably means a lot to him.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's something if it prevents the team from shipping him cross country. You discount quality of life and being able to be sure you can settle down for the next 5 years and not be forced to pack up the family and move to Kansas or NY or some place else.

It gives him stability. The no-trade clause maybe be the reason he actually did it.

Yeah, money's important, but being a highly sought professional athlete and knowing you can now settle in with your wife and daughter and live your life in one spot probably means a lot to him.
Right, I don't disagree with that. The no-trade clause makes it make more sense, no doubt. But I remember when he was getting shipped out of Detroit that they made it sound like he was definitely going to exercise the opt-out and go for the big payday. I guess he opted for the no-trade clause because it sure isn't about the money on this deal (when you consider the one he is opting out of) and one additional year isn't much.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.