Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2018, 09:22 AM
WSI Regular

I view Palka as the White Sox version Of Kyle Scwarber. If you look at their numbers, they're remarkably similar, except that Schwarber walks more.

They're both real strong left-handed hitters, but their overall baseball talent would be more appropriate in a 16 inch softball league.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I view Palka as the White Sox version Of Kyle Scwarber. If you look at their numbers, they're remarkably similar, except that Schwarber walks more.

They're both real strong left-handed hitters, but their overall baseball talent would be more appropriate in a 16 inch softball league.
When the rebuild crests, the team will need someone(s) to DH. Some relevant questions include:

Will Abreu still be around?

Will Gavin Sheets fulfill his potential?

Will Jake Burger recover, and will he be able to play third, or relegated to 1B or DH only?

How will the outfield situation play out; will there be a surplus of OFs who play solid defense and hit well that Eloy gets relegated to DH duty?

While ideally either a surplus of good fielding OFs and corner IFs who can hit pushes Eloy to DH, or creates a DH rotation, there are numerous scenarios in which Palka could play a valuable role as a DH against RHP. He could increase his utility to the team by playing first base, as well.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
That difference is also the difference between a solid MLB hitter and a guy who barely cracks rosters.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-03-2018, 11:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
When the rebuild crests, the team will need someone(s) to DH. Some relevant questions include:

Will Abreu still be around?

Will Jake Burger recover, and will he be able to play third, or relegated to 1B or DH only?

How will the outfield situation play out; will there be a surplus of OFs who play solid defense and hit well that Eloy gets relegated to DH duty?

While ideally either a surplus of good fielding OFs and corner IFs who can hit pushes Eloy to DH, or creates a DH rotation, there are numerous scenarios in which Palka could play a valuable role as a DH against RHP. He could increase his utility to the team by playing first base, as well.
Palka is a decent LH bat to have as a spare OF/DH/PH- I think he'll outlast Delmonico and Davidson on the roster, but by 2020/21 he'll be 28/29 yo, I doubt he will survive all the competition from the farm system for that role.

Plenty of guys with questionable defense that could end up in the DH role (Jimenez, Collins, Burger, Abreu) and lots of outfielders (Robert, Basabe, Rutherford, Adolfo, Gonzalez)- most of these guys are RH hitters, so that could give him an opening.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 08-03-2018, 12:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Palka is a decent LH bat to have as a spare OF/DH/PH- I think he'll outlast Delmonico and Davidson on the roster, but by 2020/21 he'll be 28/29 yo, I doubt he will survive all the competition from the farm system for that role.

Plenty of guys with questionable defense that could end up in the DH role (Jimenez, Collins, Burger, Abreu) and lots of outfielders (Robert, Basabe, Rutherford, Adolfo, Gonzalez)- most of these guys are RH hitters, so that could give him an opening.
Iím inclined to agree on all points. Really, his only value comes from his LH power, a mirror image of Davidson.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:55 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I sure hope so. He can slap hit and walk, but he can't run and doesn't show much power at all despite being like 6'4" 240 lbs. He's only 22 and can develop a better power swing but you'd think a guy that big could muscle out a higher slugging line.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I sure hope so. He can slap hit and walk, but he can't run and doesn't show much power at all despite being like 6'4" 240 lbs. He's only 22 and can develop a better power swing but you'd think a guy that big could muscle out a higher slugging line.

By his own admission he deliberately has not been swinging for power, but rather for contact and to avoid striking out. I'm inclined to accept that explanation in the hopes that he'll tap into his power as he gains more professional ABs this month, and hopefully into AFL and next season.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
Iím inclined to agree on all points. Really, his only value comes from his LH power, a mirror image of Davidson.
The situation screams platoon DH system and a reduction to 12 pitchers, but then our manager may not get to use four pitchers to cover one inning anymore.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The situation screams platoon DH system and a reduction to 12 pitchers, but then our manager may not get to use four pitchers to cover one inning anymore.

I'm less concerned about this year than future years, but yes, I agree, that for this year we ought not try to play bullpen matchups in late innings.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
A strict L/R platoon of Palka and Davidson at DH would really not be a terrible player.

Platoon splits:

Palka: 240/282/525
Davidson: 257/373/543

Palka is, even with the splits, still a liability, but at least a power-hitting one.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post

If he's anything like his old man he'll be hitting roof shots.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-03-2018, 08:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
I'm less concerned about this year than future years, but yes, I agree, that for this year we ought not try to play bullpen matchups in late innings.
If anything, this yearís team should be even less inclined to prioritize individual platoon matchup advantages over health and usage rates. When a starter goes 7+ innings, that should be viewed as an opportunity to get most of the bullpen a day off. Instead, this coaching staff views it as an opportunity to leverage platoon situations even more heavily by tasking pitchers with one-batter appearances.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If anything, this yearís team should be even less inclined to prioritize individual platoon matchup advantages over health and usage rates. When a starter goes 7+ innings, that should be viewed as an opportunity to get most of the bullpen a day off. Instead, this coaching staff views it as an opportunity to leverage platoon situations even more heavily by tasking pitchers with one-batter appearances.
Agreed completely. The only rational explanation I can think of is they are trying to showcase Cedeno and Avilan, and only want them facing LH hitters.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
A strict L/R platoon of Palka and Davidson at DH would really not be a terrible player.

Platoon splits:

Palka: 240/282/525
Davidson: 257/373/543

Palka is, even with the splits, still a liability, but at least a power-hitting one.
They can extend the platoon to include 3B as well. Yolmerís .202/.268/.236 slash against LHP is ridiculously bad.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Most of these guys are corner outfielders and 1B
Very little up the middle talent and not a lot of athleticism with a few exceptions. Drafting Burger and Sheets with the first 2 picks - 2 likely 1B.They clearly needed/need to trade Avi and Abreu because the prospects replicate them (and if they don't replicate, that means the Sox had more stiff drafts). And of course Davidson, Delmonico and Palka are unathletic corner players as well. For some reason, they took a nap this July season trading season.
Hahn is going to need to make some trades - to send some of these guys to teams that might need DH types.
To me it's a little frustrating that in all of these trades over the last 2 years Hahn has gotten not 1 player he could just stick in the lineup. KC gets a starting CF for Moustakas (who has the same value as Frazier did)....the Tigers got a starting 3B for a middle reliever and Avilia (how long have the Sox been looking for one of those??).
Hahn ends up with Cordell and Gillaspie in these types of trades.

Last edited by Tragg; 08-03-2018 at 10:12 PM.