Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2018, 11:19 AM
WSI Prelate

As fun as he is on this team, and he is fun, but it is THIS team, he needs to raise that OBP .06 -.1 points or he's ultimately a Chris Carter.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Hopefully the Sox can work out a deal to sign him past 2021 despite his agent. The Sox should have plenty of payroll flexibility for the foreseeable future. As much as I hate Boras, the days of the Sox refusing to even talk to him regarding players should be behind us.
Is there a list anywhere of Boras' clients who DID NOT go the free agent route? That's his M.O. to try to get his client as much money as possible and I understand that.

I'm guessing the number of time that happened is pretty small. Unfortunately I'm not holding my breath that he'll cut the Sox a break in that regard. If it happens great...but I'm not holding my breath.

That's why you have to keep getting as much pitching as possible in the next year or so.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg
As fun as he is on this team, and he is fun, but it is THIS team, he needs to raise that OBP .06 -.1 points or he's ultimately a Chris Carter.
Yup. Palka simply makes far too many outs to be an everyday player on a team that is trying to compete.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yup. Palka simply makes far too many outs to be an everyday player on a team that is trying to compete.
Yep- nice upgrade over Delmonico for the LH 4th OF/DH/1B role- but unless he can start drawing walks and/or get his average into the .240/.250 range- he's not piece of the longer term rebuild puzzle.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 08-11-2018, 12:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Is there a list anywhere of Boras' clients who DID NOT go the free agent route? That's his M.O. to try to get his client as much money as possible and I understand that.

I'm guessing the number of time that happened is pretty small. Unfortunately I'm not holding my breath that he'll cut the Sox a break in that regard. If it happens great...but I'm not holding my breath.

That's why you have to keep getting as much pitching as possible in the next year or so.
Oh yeah, no doubt. I'm under no illusion that he'll sign an extension or give the Sox some sort of hometown break. That doesn't mean the Sox can't pay up and re-sign him. It depends on for how much and for how long...anyway, too early to speculate and worry about what will happen in 3 years. Lots of variables will take place between now and then.

That being said, all I can do now is dream of a future top 3 rotation of Rodon-Kopech-Cease. Lots of question marks for all three, but if things work out right....Wow!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Yep- nice upgrade over Delmonico for the LH 4th OF/DH/1B role- but unless he can start drawing walks and/or get his average into the .240/.250 range- he's not piece of the longer term rebuild puzzle.

But its OK if Moncada is doing the same thing?
Old 08-11-2018, 01:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think he's on the same level as Delmonico, just more interesting.
If either one could play a sharp LF, that would help. But DH is the everyday position on a good team, and that OPS needs to be well into the .800s......
Old 08-11-2018, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
.....and in 151 less ABs Palka has more homers and ribbies with a higher OPS.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE_NELL
But overall, they don’t do the same thing. Moncada strikes out a ****load but also draws walks, steals, and takes extra bases with his legs, and has the ability to play the field well, in spite of all the errors. The bar for Palka’s bat to even make it worth having him on the roster is a lot higher because he does none of those things.

There’s a lot of guys out there who can hit .220 with a lot of power without walking or playing the field much. There aren’t many out there who can do it while walking 60+ times a season, play the middle infield, hit 10 triples and steal 20 bases.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I think he's on the same level as Delmonico, just more interesting.
If either one could play a sharp LF, that would help. But DH is the everyday position on a good team, and that OPS needs to be well into the .800s......
MOncada's OBP is 20 points higher than Palka while his BA at present is 20 points lower. That means he's generating an extra 40 points of OBP from his walks and HBP. That's what people want to see from Palka for him to truly be a major piece on the future team.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-11-2018, 03:37 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
That means he's generating an extra 40 points of OBP from his walks and HBP.

HBP? His Barry Bonds armor is protecting him from being plunked 4 times in his MLB career. Once this year.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
HBP? His Barry Bonds armor is protecting him from being plunked 4 times in his MLB career. Once this year.
It's just part of the stuff that contributes to OBP. I wasn't saying it's a major part of his or any player's success but it does count toward OBP.

I honestly thought of leaving it out, but figured someone would correct me. I didn't expect to have a discussion about how much it helps his OBP.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:44 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's just part of the stuff that contributes to OBP. I wasn't saying it's a major part of his or any player's success but it does count toward OBP.

I honestly thought of leaving it out, but figured someone would correct me. I didn't expect to have a discussion about how much it helps his OBP.

I know, I just had to sneak my point in somewhere.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

Sigh. Does every discussion have to turn into a debate about Moncada?

To answer your question, no it's not OK. But are you suggesting that Sox management and Sox fans should conclude that the way Palka and Moncada are playing right now is pretty much their expected ceiling as a player and this is basically what we should expect of these guys in 2019 or 2020? If Sox management really thinks that, they should all be fired.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
But overall, they don’t do the same thing. Moncada strikes out a ****load but also draws walks, steals, and takes extra bases with his legs, and has the ability to play the field well, in spite of all the errors. The bar for Palka’s bat to even make it worth having him on the roster is a lot higher because he does none of those things.

There’s a lot of guys out there who can hit .220 with a lot of power without walking or playing the field much. There aren’t many out there who can do it while walking 60+ times a season, play the middle infield, hit 10 triples and steal 20 bases.
You make some good points, but if Palka is part of the future he will most likely be a DH who isn't expected to do the things that Moncada should be doing.
If Palka could hit .260, he would be dangerous.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-11-2018 at 04:45 PM.