GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2018, 07:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
Barring a major breakout by several young players next spring, it's another rebuilding year with hopefully a win total around 81. Rodon, Gio, Lopez and Kopech should be starting all season. Who fills the 5th slot seems less important to me. I don't see a reason to keep Shields to be that 5th starter unless there are "intangibles" he brings like mentoring young pitchers that the team wants around.

I expect Covey and Fulmer to be given the first cracks at the #5 slot. No they shouldn't be penciled in all year and beyond if they cannot pitch at least adequately as a 5th starter but to open the season there's no reason to say they shouldn't be there unless some other AAA pitcher who I have no knowledge of deserves a shot in their place.

I don't have a problem with Covey and/or Fulmer being given a shot at that slot. Since the team will only need a 5th starter a few times before Kopech comes up they can both pitch as the #4 and 5 starters until that day comes and then the "winner" of the tryout competition can be the 5th starter.
I thought the decision to yank Fulmer out of Charlotte’s rotation was permanent. Maybe you’re correct that the Sox have not yet ruled out Fulmer as a future starter. My only issue with Covey getting more starts next year is that he has been every bit as bad as Fulmer while being given double the number of starts. If Fulmer is indeed done as a starter, then Covey should be as well.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

No
Old 08-19-2018, 12:29 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
If his worth is nothing now, it will be the same at next years trade deadline. Use the 14M to get some relief help so if the young starters turn it around they wont see their efforts pissed away.
Yes. If the 2019 White Sox have good bullpen, we are in the playoffs.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Yes. If the 2019 White Sox have good bullpen, we are in the playoffs.
I don't think so, still too many other question marks but I think a good bullpen might get us close to a .500 team.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:29 AM
WSI Prelate

The Sox had a good bullpen for 60% of 2017 and they were awful.
The Sox added 2 veterans this season - that's about the most that is reasonable for next until the rest of the team shows some signs of life.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The Sox had a good bullpen for 60% of 2017 and they were awful.
The Sox added 2 veterans this season - that's about the most that is reasonable for next until the rest of the team shows some signs of life.
I agree. With as many relief prospects as we have that are apparently almost ready for the majors, it doesn’t make much sense to invest in veteran relievers (except as “flip” candidates) given the state of the lineup and the additional anticipated learning curve of the starting rotation. Might as well use 2019 to continue with evaluations and development - including the bullpen - so that we have a much better idea where our holes will be entering the 2020 season, and thus make more informed trade/free agent choices.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Actually Robertson, Kahnle and Swarzak weren't just good in 2017 - they were close to great. And it didn't make any difference. The Sox should be more advanced in other areas than they were then, but they really aren't. They are still sifting through Davidson, Leury, Giolito and Lopez, etc. - none has proven they are part of the future, and none has proven they aren't. Not much has happened.

As for Shields, he's pitching decently and should be traded. Teams could use him. I certainly hope he's being peddled.
He's worth about 1/2 of his net $14 million in salary next season. Picking that up is just lazy.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Actually Robertson, Kahnle and Swarzak weren't just good in 2017 - they were close to great. And it didn't make any difference. The Sox should be more advanced in other areas than they were then, but they really aren't. They are still sifting through Davidson, Leury, Giolito and Lopez, etc. - none has proven they are part of the future, and none has proven they aren't. Not much has happened.

As for Shields, he's pitching decently and should be traded. Teams could use him. I certainly hope he's being peddled.
He's worth about 1/2 of his net $14 million in salary next season. Picking that up is just lazy.
Gio and Lopez are starting for the Sox for the foreseeable future. Leury and Davidson never were a huge part of the rebuild plans, though Davidson might have some minor trade value and Garcia makes a nice utility player given the amount of tools and positions he brings to the game.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-19-2018, 02:15 PM
WSI Regular

Default Shields 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
My openness for bringing back Shields would be predicated in declining the option and signing him to a lesser amount.
Agree 100%!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Zero interest in bringing back Shields- it's time to move on.

Rotation on Opening Day will be Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito and one of Covey, Guerrero or Stephens. I think Cease is coming quickly- and I think he comes up around the All Star break after a few months at Charlotte. But you always need rotation depth- so it will be good to see if we have anything with our other internal options for 5th starter.

Any money that might go to a veteran like Shields should go towards a veteran bullpen arm to complement all the young arms like Fry, Vieira, Hamilton, Burr, Frare, etc.-

2019 will be another rebuilding year- but I'm looking forward to a team filled with young prospects and eliminating the dead weight veterans we've had to endure the last few seasons. (with that said- huge respect for Shields and how he's turned it around, and how he's helped our young pitchers, etc.)
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Zero interest in bringing back Shields- it's time to move on.

Rotation on Opening Day will be Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito and one of Covey, Guerrero or Stephens. I think Cease is coming quickly- and I think he comes up around the All Star break after a few months at Charlotte. But you always need rotation depth- so it will be good to see if we have anything with our other internal options for 5th starter.

Any money that might go to a veteran like Shields should go towards a veteran bullpen arm to complement all the young arms like Fry, Vieira, Hamilton, Burr, Frare, etc.-

2019 will be another rebuilding year- but I'm looking forward to a team filled with young prospects and eliminating the dead weight veterans we've had to endure the last few seasons. (with that said- huge respect for Shields and how he's turned it around, and how he's helped our young pitchers, etc.)
Only thing different, is I could see them making Kopech wait until mid-April like Jimenez so they'll need a 5th starter a couple of times before he gets the call.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The belief that the free agent market will provide worthwhile relief help is unsubstantiated. Any worthwhile free agent relievers will command multi-year deals. The most noteworthy addition to this bullpen likely will be the return of Nate Jones.

Here is a list of potential free agents:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/...ee-agents.html
Also, with Burdi, Hamilton, and Burr waiting in the wings and possibly ready to come up next season, I doubt the Sox will spend a ton of money on free agent bullpen help. Maybe they'll make another Soria-type trade for bullpen help.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
My openness for bringing back Shields would be predicated in declining the option and signing him to a lesser amount.

Sure, MAYBE, if they could re-sign him at maybe 50% of his current salary. But overall, I think I would like to see the savings spent elsewhere.
Shields still being here proves he has no trade value. Another year of experience and age will not change that.

SMO
Old 08-20-2018, 02:15 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Only thing different, is I could see them making Kopech wait until mid-April like Jimenez so they'll need a 5th starter a couple of times before he gets the call.
They announced at the beginning of the game today that Kopech is coming up, will pitch on Tuesday.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
They announced at the beginning of the game today that Kopech is coming up, will pitch on Tuesday.
Yeah that was announced after I posted. I admit I'm surprised but actually happy. I never worry about 6 years in the future for my teams so much can change between now and then it's not worth it, IMO.