GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2019, 02:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
If you're looking for a bold sell-high candidate, how about Eloy? He looks like he's going to be a middle-of-the-order bat for the remainder of his contract. Could he bring back a #1 starter?
You might want to sit the next few plays out.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I really don't think you're going to get much of anything in return from those guys. Maybe a sixth-starter swingman type or someone off the bench, but I don't think a team would trade away any sort of quality piece for bench players and a lottery ticket.
A package starting with Stiever and Walker/Sheets does have value. Might need a third big name minor leaguer or a high end lottery ticket from A or rookie ball but then adding in Merndick or Leury to lessen the sting of losing a major league ready player might put it over the top. Heck guys like Kubat, Connors, Walsh Might be of interest to trams also.

And of course Lopez is a possibility also. He had a bad year but flashed at times and he is already through two years in the majors.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-08-2019, 03:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If the Sox trade no one, the spare parts are only going to lose value. So even if they acquire all their new players via free agency they should be trading those spare parts for prospects.
How do you define "spare parts"? Most of the names being discussed in this thread are either major league pieces right now (e.g., the RPs like Bummer and Colome) or prospects (Stiever/Sheets/Rutherford/etc.). If you're talking about trading guys like Yolmer and Leury, then sure, but you're not going to get much in return for them.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
How do you define "spare parts"? Most of the names being discussed in this thread are either major league pieces right now (e.g., the RPs like Bummer and Colome) or prospects (Stiever/Sheets/Rutherford/etc.). If you're talking about trading guys like Yolmer and Leury, then sure, but you're not going to get much in return for them.
Depends how they do in free agency. If they can put a 2020 contender together, they might want to hang onto the bullpen pieces -- even Colome. If they don't, then the only one who'd be hard to part with is Bummer.

I think they could survive trading any of Garcia/Engel/Sanchez.

I think Rodon is a spare part under any circumstances, and the one I'd most like to see them trade.

All of this, of course, is assuming that the trades bring back equal value or better, and improve the team.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Any package for Bryant would take one of our top prospects. I don't think the Cubs would ever considering parting with him without getting someone like Madrigal, Vaughn, or Robert in return. Bryant is an MVP caliber player entering his prime.
For someone who is allegedly hitting his prime, Bryant misses a lot of playing time to injuries and seems to not have fully recovered his bat.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
This is where the struggles of just about everybody in AA this year hurts. If Sheets, Rutherford, Basabe and/or Adolfo had good years, they'd be ideal pieces to move.

Right now the only prospects the Sox have that teams would probably want for a major league piece are Robert, Madrigal and MAYBE Vaughn. Steele Walker could probably be packaged with someone for a major league piece, but I kind of feel like the Sox are in a spot where to address a hole via trade they'd wind up creating another one they'd have to fill.
I think you can remove the word "maybe" from Vaughn's value as a trade prospect.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I think he means that Madrigal has a place on the 2020 team, trading Vaughn makes more sense as he might not be ready till '21.
That place would be filled quite nicely by Moncada half of the time and another option like Mike Moustakas the other half of the time.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
For someone who is allegedly hitting his prime, Bryant misses a lot of playing time to injuries and seems to not have fully recovered his bat.
Yeah, his batís fine, especially for this power-bereft bunch.

His bat certainly was far better than Jose Abreuís last year, and everyone is bending over backwards to heap accolades on Abreu.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If the Sox are going to improve via trade, then everyone will be asking for Robert, Kopech, Madrigal, or Vaughn. I assume the Sox would have to be bowled over to deal away a top 100 guy, since they have already penciled each in for many years of production.

They have a few other chips (Stiever, Walker, Sheets, Basabe, etc.) who might be trade bait, but IMO they can't afford to deal away too much of their future depth.

IMO the Sox should be looking to trade a lot of names from the big league roster, instead. For instance:

1. Aaron Bummer. I like him a lot, but selling high on relievers is almost always a good idea.

2. Carlos Rodon. He's seldom healthy and he's going to test free agency, so he is no longer especially useful to the rebuild. He still has enough potential and control to be tradeable.

3. Alex Colome. Unless you think the Sox are winning the Central in 2020, it's time to deal him. Extending him would be unwise.

4. Leury Garcia. Sox should have sold high on him at the trade deadline, but he single-handedly adds a lot of bench depth.

5 (tie). Evan Marshall, Josh Osich, Jace Fry. Again, sell high. I think all three of these guys have peaked.

6. (tie) Adam Engel, Yolmer Sanchez. They give you great defense and just enough with the bat to be playable for stretches, but are best used as reserves/defensive replacements.

7. Carson Fulmer. He's been consistently awful for the Sox, but has pedigree and stuff. There's always some team who thinks they can turn a pitcher like this around. (Of course, they might just wait for the Sox to waive him.)

Thoughts?
The only ones on here that would really be selling high are Marshall and Bummer; but there's no point because they would then go trade for relievers to replace them (and likely buy high).
Fulmer has an elite spin rate...sure teams would think they could turn him around, but they won't give anything for it.,...nor should they. That's their premium, not the Sox. They'll wait until he get released or offer up some useless Rule 5 guy.
They missed the opportunity to sell high on Colome and leury by doing nothing in July. Colome has value (but again, they'd trade for a reliever to replace him); Leury's offensive stats weren't good and he has little value.
The Sox should keep Engel. Yolmer just has to be let go. Yes another team will sign Yolmer but at a lower price than the Sox would have to pay.
Keep Jace - trading him is selling low. Osich has no trade value.
Trading Rodon, of course, is selling low.