White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Everything I have read says it is just because of the fact they were ahead.
Hopefully thatís true. If it is, it means Sox management is treating him with kid gloves after the first two injuries.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:28 AM
WSI Guru

Any news on Dunning?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Laz Rivera for W-S tonight is 5 for 5, with HR, 2 doubles, 5 runs scored, SF, and 2 RBI.

I'll be watching his progress closely. It would be great if someone like him emerges as a (pleasant and unexpected) productive player for the major-league team.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/laz-r...te/c-282919428

"In the third inning, Rivera laid down a sacrifice bunt to the mound, moving Nate Nolan to third base."

A sacrifice? Can't have it. Are there any aging starters he can be moved for?

"I had a conversation with our manager [Omar Vizquel] and realized I was being too aggressive early in the count," he said. "I needed to work on slowing the game down more and waiting for my pitch. There's an opportunity here to take more pitches because the umpires are better. It came down to swinging at my pitch and not a pitcher's pitch."

How refreshing: making the pitcher pitch as opposed to swinging away hoping for the best.

I also believe the other guy to keep an eye on is Omar Vizquel.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-26-2018, 08:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Any news on Dunning?
I was looking for this as well. The latest I found is he's undergoing an MRI. Guess we'll know more today?

Kopech had a nice game last night. 6 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 9 SO, 2 BB. He's really only had 3 bad starts out of 15 for the year. I'll take that for a young pitcher.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I was looking for this as well. The latest I found is he's undergoing an MRI. Guess we'll know more today?

Kopech had a nice game last night. 6 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 9 SO, 2 BB. He's really only had 3 bad starts out of 15 for the year. I'll take that for a young pitcher.
I don't have Blake Battenfield's line in front of me at the moment, but he also had a monstrously good outing last night.

Cease...not so much.

EDIT: found Battenfield's line. It goes: 8 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

2014 PtC Score: 1

Last edited by DonnieDarko; 06-26-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM
WSI Prelate

That 19 runs for the Dash (9 in the 9th!) sets a franchise record for them.

Another good outing by Ian Hamilton.

Not a great AA debut for Dylan Cease. 4.2 IP, 7 H, 5 ER. But at least he did strike out 7.

Quote:
Battenfield is extremely impressive. His control is fantastic.

Laz Rivera and Luis Gonzalez still playing a great role in being guys who play a role at one point or another for the big club.
Quote:
Laz 5/5 today. We might have found a gem, folks.

The Dash lost two stud pitchers to start the year, lost some outfield talent and got...... better.

Probably because Gonzalez and Rivera are good one for one replacements offensively, and Battenfield could be another hidden gem.
What's the story with Battenfield? He was a pretty low pick last spring (17th round) and he's been outstanding so far this year. Stellar debut at W-S.

There was concern earlier in the season that the Sox, despite having a great farm system, had a big drop off in talent after their top 15 or so. Hopefully guys like these 3 and Booker can keep up what they've done so far this year and add to the talent depth we have.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I also believe the other guy to keep an eye on is Omar Vizquel.
Absolutely.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

I had asked about Laz Rivera a few weeks and about his chances to make the majors, and he was discounted by some, with some saying that anyone picked outside the top 10 rounds (he was a 28th round pick) rarely make the majors so he basically had no chance.

So I looked up the scouting report on him at the time and found this about his hit tool and power.

Hit (40) Tall hitter with high back elbow; short, choppy swing with some downward plane to it; ground ball hitter with compact stroke and some occasional line drive punch. Above-average bat speed; good contact skills with ability to hit the ball to all fields. Some ability to manipulate the barrel, but more so for gap-to-gap power than anything else, particularly to right-center field with inside-out approach. Knack for putting the barrel on the ball, though, and produces surprisingly consistent barrel contact even when on the ground. Above-average pitch recognition with ability to adjust; tracks the ball well and has good hand-eye coordination. Unlikely to develop average hit tool, but enough contact and a mature approach here thatíll bring some value with development.

Power (35) More gap-to-gap power than over-the-fence pop, with speed helping his case as a line drive doubles hitter. Downward plane on swing from tall stance and high back elbow hurts power projection; above-average bat speed helps produce line drive leverage, especially on balls in the upper half of the strike zone, but unlikely to be a significant power threat barring an adjustment in swing mechanics. Lean, thin build without exceptional natural strength, but could add a bit of weight with age (to be fair, he is already 23 years old). Long term power likely to remain below average with gap-to-gap ceiling; table-setter top/bottom of the order role ahead.

I have not seen Rivera play, but it would seem that something has changed in his swing and approach (is it possible the Sox could actually develop a player and get him to improve?). His power is much better, and the fact that he has above-average bat speed is good. However, it says he has a short, choppy swing. Has anyone seen him play and is that still the case? The excerpts above were from a scouting report from Dec. 2017.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Odds are still very long on Laz Rivera ever making any sort of impact in the majors. We're looking at a 23/24 year old hitting well in A ball, there's nothing overly remarkable about that. If he keeps raking in A+, then it's time to take notice. Otherwise, it's just a nice "Kid living his dream" fluff piece on a blog somewhere.

From a historical perspective, there have been 40 players taken at the 837th pick in the history of the draft, none have ever made the major leagues and only 6 have made it to AAA.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-26-2018, 11:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Laz Rivera came up a lot during Nick's guest spot on the Sox podcast with Garfein. He had some cool takes on Rivera.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Odds are still very long on Laz Rivera ever making any sort of impact in the majors. We're looking at a 23/24 year old hitting well in A ball, there's nothing overly remarkable about that. If he keeps raking in A+, then it's time to take notice. Otherwise, it's just a nice "Kid living his dream" fluff piece on a blog somewhere.

From a historical perspective, there have been 40 players taken at the 837th pick in the history of the draft, none have ever made the major leagues and only 6 have made it to AAA.
I get what you're saying and I agree we shouldn't pencil in Rivera for anything - especially after only a few games in High A ball. But that's a misleading stat.

To clarify, you're saying that no one picked EXACTLY at #837 has ever made it to the majors. There have been players picked later than this who have made it. Heck there's one guy on our current 25-man who was picked 915th overall and has had a decent MLB career. Another guy drafted vert late by the Sox had his number retired last year.

There are others to:
https://www.mlb.com/news/best-late-r...ry/c-182980276

....and I know you'll say that chances for late round guys making it to the majors are astronomical - and you'd absolutely right. But, it's not "never".
Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
That 19 runs for the Dash (9 in the 9th!) sets a franchise record for them.
Must have been facing the Cubs' pitching staff.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
I get what you're saying and I agree we shouldn't pencil in Rivera for anything - especially after only a few games in High A ball. But that's a misleading stat.

To clarify, you're saying that no one picked EXACTLY at #837 has ever made it to the majors. There have been players picked later than this who have made it. Heck there's one guy on our current 25-man who was picked 915th overall and has had a decent MLB career. Another guy drafted vert late by the Sox had his number retired last year.

There are others to:
https://www.mlb.com/news/best-late-r...ry/c-182980276

....and I know you'll say that chances for late round guys making it to the majors are astronomical - and you'd absolutely right. But, it's not "never".
I get what you're saying and you're not wrong in that players drafted in a round past the 20th have and will made the major leagues. However...

I think what we should understand as fans is how to properly set expectations for players drafted in the later rounds of the MLB Draft, which honestly is players taken past the 2nd/3rd round. When casual observers are bombarded with stories of guys like Mike Piazza, Albert Pujols, Mark Buerhle, etc. the true odds of players ever making the major leagues is lost. Numerically speaking, a guy drafted in the 28th round of the MLB Draft has a 1 or 2% chance of accumulating 1 day of service time in the major leagues.

For years I've watched fans of all teams (not just Sox fans) complain about "wasted" draft picks in the 20th and 30th rounds of the MLB Draft. I think that speaks to a lack of knowledge on how rare it is for these guys to make it. I've cheered on plenty of guys drafted past the 3rd round, hoping that the Sox would catch a break. But more often than not they don't make it past AA, which is to be expected.

No player drafted and signed in the 837th spot in the MLB Draft has ever made the major leagues and that's not misleading, it's just the reality of the situation. You can peruse through the other picks around there (839,840,843) and see mostly the same result. Zero players making the major leagues.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Based on Rivera's age- he may be pushed to AA before the end of the season- see if there's really anything here or as others have said, just beating up on younger competition- especially if they want Madrigal to start at SS.

It will be interesting to see the next round of the White Sox "Top 30" list- where do the 2018 draft picks fit in along with (potentially) some of the quality seasons from guys not currently listed (i.e. Booker, Battenfield, Rivera, Forbes, Flores, etc.)- seems like they're shoring up the lower half of the Top 30.

In general- it's alot of fun seeing guys make it to AA and the AAA and actually produce- for most of the last 10-20 years- other than a few exceptions- most of our prospects stalled at the AA level.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Based on Rivera's age- he may be pushed to AA before the end of the season- see if there's really anything here or as others have said, just beating up on younger competition- especially if they want Madrigal to start at SS.
I wouldn't expect Madrigal to make it to AA this season, but the organization will most likely put his development ahead of all other infield prospects going forward.

Quote:
In general- it's alot of fun seeing guys make it to AA and the AAA and actually produce- for most of the last 10-20 years- other than a few exceptions- most of our prospects stalled at the AA level.
A lot of that had to do with the White Sox not taking position players in the early rounds, but it's nice to see a guy like Rivera push his way up the levels while putting up respectable numbers.
Closed Thread