GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Is his return to a higher velocity thanks to improved/more efficient mechanics?

Back when he was in the Nats system, he was ranked among the top prospects in baseball. It would be great (needless to say) if he's finally on track to live up to that kind of ranking. He's still only 24, after all. I know it's only been a few good outings, but the progress is encouraging.
He completely revamped his mechanics in the offseason, which he said improves his changeup because he is not showing the hitter the ball as long during his wind up.

Giolito is such a strange pitcher because even last year when he was awful, he was able to shut down the Red Sox. This year he's looked good against bad offenses but while he hasn't done great against good offenses, I don't think he's done terrible either. I hope he has something figured out though.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Giolito is finally learning to be a pitcher and not a thrower.
McCann is underrated for his blocking of balls in the dirt and his framing of pitches.
Nice win.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
They won correct? That's good correct? Giolito was not horrible correct?

They did. I think I wrote that. Putting in Fry, though, after leaving a leadoff double at second, after failing to score from a bases-loaded-one-out situation, made the game, to paraphrase Wellington's postgame analysis of Waterloo, a nearest run thing.

The White Sox have a bullpen that will win lose a lot of those games. Sadly, that's been the case for awhile.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:37 PM
WSI Personality

Colome has been unreal in save situations this year: 7/7 in Saves, 0 Runs, 0 hits, 2 BBs, 12 Ks, 7.1 innings.

With the extra year of control, I really think the Sox can get a nice return for him in July.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:46 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Colome has been unreal in save situations this year: 7/7 in Saves, 0 Runs, 0 hits, 2 BBs, 12 Ks, 7.1 innings.

With the extra year of control, I really think the Sox can get a nice return for him in July.

You could say the same about McCann. I am of a different mindset, I think they should consider locking them up for awhile.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
You could say the same about McCann. I am of a different mindset, I think they should consider locking them up for awhile.
McCann is a different story, hasn't really had any success in the minors or majors before this hot start to the year. That said, I would like to see how he does in the coming months and possibly extend him if he is still providing value. Colome has been been at least a dependable closer for a few years now, which has value around the league.

I think that being in current position the Sox are in, you MUST sell high on a 30 year old reliever.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I agree when it comes to McCann. I don't care about his hitting. I believe he's a positive for his defense and handling young pitchers.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
McCann is a different story, hasn't really had any success in the minors or majors before this hot start to the year. That said, I would like to see how he does in the coming months and possibly extend him if he is still providing value. Colome has been been at least a dependable closer for a few years now, which has value around the league.

I think that being in current position the Sox are in, you MUST sell high on a 30 year old reliever.

That depends on when they expect this team to compete. If its in the next 2 years, i say keep him. Colome, that is.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Colomé, Herrera, Abreu, and McCann all look like good trade candidates right now. Good, affordable relief pitching is always in demand, so that should not be a problem. Maybe the Astros finally come to their senses and refuse to allow Yuli Gurriel’s useless bat to negatively impact their postseason chances again? Maybe the Mets would be interested in McCann as a possible solution to their ongoing problems behind the dish?
Old 05-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Colomé, Herrera, Abreu, and McCann all look like good trade candidates right now. Good, affordable relief pitching is always in demand, so that should not be a problem. Maybe the Astros finally come to their senses and refuse to allow Yuli Gurriel’s useless bat to negatively impact their postseason chances again? Maybe the Mets would be interested in McCann as a possible solution to their ongoing problems behind the dish?
I understand where people are coming from on trading these players, but I admit I'm of mixed emotions on trading McCann and Colome. Both could be longterm cost controlled solutions to problems that have plagued the Sox for years. McCann at the least is a solid platoon option who can actually field the position.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-08-2019, 01:08 PM

And at this point Colome or McCann are not blocking anyone. Also money should not be a factor.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Is his return to a higher velocity thanks to improved/more efficient mechanics?
I do not believe so, as he was pitching with increased velocity last summer before tailing off. Perhaps the new mechanics will allow him to throw hard consistently for the entire season, but who knows?

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-08-2019, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I agree with this sentiment, because we've all seen how up and down closers are from season to season...
Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

For a while last night, I thought the title of this thread was going to be "Giolito gets Fried in Cleveland....."

Old 05-08-2019, 01:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I wouldn't want the Sox to surrender their 2nd round pick in this year's draft to sign him.
I suspect there aren't any teams that want to do that right now, and that Keuchel's camp knows this, so they're just waiting it out until after the draft. But it's certainly possible that even after the draft, the big offer they're looking for just isn't available. At that point he's going to have to make a decision - maybe take a short-term "prove it" deal to try to show he's still got it? I don't think he wants to sit out the whole season - it's not like that's going to help his value at all.