Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2019, 10:40 PM
WSI Personality

Default Please cut Covey.

He's probably a nice kid but the time has come to cut ties with Dylan Covey. Three straight walks, a wild pitch bla bla bla. He's not a piece to our future puzzle.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamokes View Post
He's probably a nice kid but the time has come to cut ties with Dylan Covey. Three straight walks, a wild pitch bla bla bla. He's not a piece to our future puzzle.
Why he and Palka even have a MLB job is unbelievable! This pitching staff is reminiscent of the 1970 staff with a couple of exceptions. Cooper’s magic has faded away years ago.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Covey has no business being in MLB. It's a joke that the organization continues to trot him out there.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Covey has no business being in MLB. It's a joke that the organization continues to trot him out there.

Would you be happier if Odrisamer Despaigne was getting the Covey starts? Justin Nicolino started 19 games for Charlotte this year and had an ERA over 6. Donn Roach started 16 and had an ERA over 7. Dylan Cease isn't ready for the majors yet, assuming that, like Giolito, he will get better. The rebuild isn't producing enough pitching not to start Covey, and I don't know things will be much better next year, with or without Covey.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Would you be happier if Odrisamer Despaigne was getting the Covey starts? Justin Nicolino started 19 games for Charlotte this year and had an ERA over 6. Donn Roach started 16 and had an ERA over 7. Dylan Cease isn't ready for the majors yet, assuming that, like Giolito, he will get better. The rebuild isn't producing enough pitching not to start Covey, and I don't know things will be much better next year, with or without Covey.
I myself would be happy to see them obtain some quality starters next year. I don’t want to see Covey or Despaigne or Nicolino or anyone like them. The problem is the Sox have too many of the above mentioned players on their roster over the years.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:39 AM
WSI High Priest

He's 6-29, 6.46 ERA for his career
Old 09-14-2019, 06:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
I myself would be happy to see them obtain some quality starters next year. I don’t want to see Covey or Despaigne or Nicolino or anyone like them. The problem is the Sox have too many of the above mentioned players on their roster over the years.
The Sox roster is filled with a bunch a guys that prove that it's a big leap from AAA to the Majors. JR better have the checkbook open big time if he wants the rebuild to have a successful ending with a contending team.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:27 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Do you believe Covey is a ML pitcher? Yes or no? And to answer your question I think I am fine with a rotating clown car of has beens or nobody’s taking a start every fifth day. You might get lucky once in a while.

You know what you are going to get with Covey.

Obviously you are correct about the lack of pitching depth. I guess some fans find it hard to pat Rick Hahn on the back and say “no problem!” (even next year, as you said) while the clock ticks away on Moncada and Giolito’s service time.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Covey and Fulmer each have sufficiently live arms that I’d keep them both on the 40-man roster going into spring training next year, and give them opportunities to win bullpen jobs.

But I’d also sign both Cole and Nova for the rotation, because Kopech is likely to need a few rehab stars in Charlotte.

So the opening day rotation should be: Cole, Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Nova

When Kopech is ready, the worst among that group goes to the bullpen for a 6th starter/long relief role.

Anyway, back to Covey and Fulmer. If they can figure things out this offseason and perform well in spring training, I have no problem letting them pitch in low-leverage/mop up duties. If not, they can be DFA’d/outrighted.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:49 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Covey and Fulmer each have sufficiently live arms that I’d keep them both on the 40-man roster going into spring training next year, and give them opportunities to win bullpen jobs.

But I’d also sign both Cole and Nova for the rotation, because Kopech is likely to need a few rehab stars in Charlotte.

When Kopech is ready, the worst among that group goes to the bullpen for a 6th starter/long relief role.

Anyway, back to Covey and Fulmer. If they can figure things out this offseason and perform well in spring training, I have no problem letting them pitch in low-leverage/mop up duties. If not, they can be DFA’d/outrighted.
The 40 man roster will determine the futures of Covey, Palka, Fulmer and so on. They have to protect their core talent and best prospects. That may mean some familiar names get cut/left off the roster. I don't know how it will turn out but it will be interesting.

I would really like to have Cole but I can't see it with JR owning the team. Rumor has it that Cole's agent wants 7 years. Patrick Corbin got $140M over 6 yrs and Cole is a better pitcher. That is a big risk for a pitcher. I would love Cole on the Sox but that is a huge risk. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

There's absolutely no reason to keep Covey. He's had chance after chance after chance. Try someone else who has shown flashes of something. Fulmer has an elite spin rate - a team that uses analytics (which is most of them) might have be able to figure something out. Still the Sox should keep him, especially when there is nothing close to a 40 man crunch.
They need to bring in an abundance of pitching from "all walks of life" into this organization and/or properly evaluate their own pitching. (see Brandon Brennan for the most recent example of the work of Getz and Hahn).

Last edited by Tragg; 09-14-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
There's absolutely no reason to keep Covey. He's had chance after chance after chance. Try someone else who has shown flashes of something. Fulmer has an elite spin rate - a team that uses analytics (which is most of them) might have be able to figure something out. Still the Sox should keep him, especially when there is nothing close to a 40 man crunch.
They need to bring in an abundance of pitching from "all walks of life" into this organization and/or properly evaluate their own pitching. (see Brandon Brennan for the most recent example of the work of Getz and Hahn).
Fegan had an article about the Sox 40 man roster several days ago. He said they have 44 they want to protect but went through on whole series on what may happen. He felt it was manageable but it needs some thought. And I'm sure Hahn and his staff already know who they will protect from the Rule 5 draft.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

I’d put the Sox chances of signing Cole at 2% and the chance of Kopech needing only “a few rehab starts” at 15%.

I’d put the chances of either Covey or Fulmer ever becoming a useful major leaguer at 5%. Doing so by spring training? 1%.

I think the chance of Nova being a serviceable 4th/5th starter next year is 50%. Being better than that? 10%.

I think the chance that Giolito, Lopez, and Cease all have consistently good seasons next year is 10%.

I’d like to see a more credible plan. Any international free agents out there?

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 09-14-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
Do you believe Covey is a ML pitcher? Yes or no? And to answer your question I think I am fine with a rotating clown car of has beens or nobody’s taking a start every fifth day. You might get lucky once in a while.

You know what you are going to get with Covey.

Obviously you are correct about the lack of pitching depth. I guess some fans find it hard to pat Rick Hahn on the back and say “no problem!” (even next year, as you said) while the clock ticks away on Moncada and Giolito’s service time.
No. I’d rather see Nicolino — or any other pitcher who has not already proven, on multiple occasions this year, that he cannot handle the job.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Covey is not a ML pitcher.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."