Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Adam Engel

OPS:
2017: .517
2018: .614
2019: .685

Nice upward trend. A couple of months ago, I was touting Leury; in the end, Engel has exceeded Leury and Leury has fallen behind where he was last year.

Now it's nothing to get excited about other than it's reasonable to expect him to move into the low .700s next year, which would qualify him to be the 5th OF.

Narvaez showed a similar upward trend, but Narvaez' had much stronger numbers, including far and away the best walk rate on the team. Engel's walk rate is 6.6%, just .4% above team average.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 PM
WSI Prelate

I’m not adamantly opposed to Engel returning in a reserve role, as the late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner. But Leury does offer additional positional flexibility because he can play all the infield positions besides 1B.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Somebody's gotta be the 5th OF. Why not him?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
OPS:
2017: .517
2018: .614
2019: .685

Nice upward trend. A couple of months ago, I was touting Leury; in the end, Engel has exceeded Leury and Leury has fallen behind where he was last year.

Now it's nothing to get excited about other than it's reasonable to expect him to move into the low .700s next year, which would qualify him to be the 5th OF.

Narvaez showed a similar upward trend, but Narvaez' had much stronger numbers, including far and away the best walk rate on the team. Engel's walk rate is 6.6%, just .4% above team average.
Yeah, Engel will never be a quality bat in a lineup, but he's improved enough offensively to be a suitable option for 4th or 5th OF given his defensive ability.

He's still making league minimum, right? I know that Yolmer is getting more expensive with each year of arbitration-eligibility.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:02 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I’m not adamantly opposed to Engel returning in a reserve role, as the late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner. But Leury does offer additional positional flexibility because he can play all the infield positions besides 1B.
Why is it either/or? I’d expect both of them to be on the team in reserve roles.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Why is it either/or? I’d expect both of them to be on the team in reserve roles.
It doesn’t necessarily have to be.

It depends on how the rest of the 26-man roster is constructed.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Here’s the problem:

If you look at their splits, Engel, Leury, and Yolmer all hit well against LHP. But they are all quite poor against RHP. So each of them is a solid backup option but we lack a starter or at least a platoon partner at 2B, RF, and CF, who hits RHP well.

For instance, a hypothetical platoon between the 2018 version of Daniel Palka and 2019 Leury Garcia would provide solid production out of RF. Or a platoon between 2003 Jose Valentin (who was great as a LH hitter against RHP but struggled badly as a RH hitter against LHP) and Yolmer would be quite good at 2B.

Ultimately, once Robert and Madrigal arrive, and depending on how RF, C, and DH are handled, I think there’s one job for a solid defender who hits LHP well; I think the other utility player needs to be able to hit RHP well.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

I just don't understand some people's obvious dislike for Engel. Is he ever going to hit .300 in a season? Doubtful.

However, can he be a productive reserve/late-inning OF? Very much so.

On a Sox team where the defense at times flat out sucks, Engel is a damn good defender. The guy catches everything.

Obviously, Robert starts next season when Hahn decides he's ready to come up and has checked all the boxes.

But when the Sox are clinching the AL Central next season at GRF, I have no problem at all with Engel being in CF in the top of the ninth behind Colome or Burdi or whomever the closer will be.

Thanks and Go Sox!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:47 PM
WSI Prelate

A true borderline 25th (now 26th in 2020) man.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
I just don't understand some people's obvious dislike for Engel. Is he ever going to hit .300 in a season? Doubtful.

However, can he be a productive reserve/late-inning OF? Very much so.

On a Sox team where the defense at times flat out sucks, Engel is a damn good defender. The guy catches everything.

The defense is bad, it's been bad but hopefully it gets better soon if this team want to make a run at another World Series championship.

Twenty-ninth out of thirty in team defense. The pitching we know about. Not good. I am looking forward to 2020.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-20-2019, 09:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Here’s the problem:

If you look at their splits, Engel, Leury, and Yolmer all hit well against LHP. But they are all quite poor against RHP. So each of them is a solid backup option but we lack a starter or at least a platoon partner at 2B, RF, and CF, who hits RHP well.

For instance, a hypothetical platoon between the 2018 version of Daniel Palka and 2019 Leury Garcia would provide solid production out of RF. Or a platoon between 2003 Jose Valentin (who was great as a LH hitter against RHP but struggled badly as a RH hitter against LHP) and Yolmer would be quite good at 2B.

Ultimately, once Robert and Madrigal arrive, and depending on how RF, C, and DH are handled, I think there’s one job for a solid defender who hits LHP well; I think the other utility player needs to be able to hit RHP well.
Very good point. Yolmer also has much better numbers against LHP than RHP, so that would mean that if those 3 make up the bench, none of them would be strong against RHP. That seems like an issue, especially with such a starting lineup that is so heavily right-handed.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Very good point. Yolmer also has much better numbers against LHP than RHP, so that would mean that if those 3 make up the bench, none of them would be strong against RHP. That seems like an issue, especially with such a starting lineup that is so heavily right-handed.
It shouldn’t be too much of an issue. None of the regulars should be platooning or be lifted for a pinch hitter very often anyway.