White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2018, 11:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Mets Bat Out of Order

How does this even happen in a major league game?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
Old 05-09-2018, 11:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
How does this even happen in a major league game?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
If I had to guess they usually bat in that order and someone screwed up filling out the lineup card. But that's purely a guess. It was the first inning.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 AM
WSI High Priest

The computer generated line-up, that was posted in the dugout, was different than the line-up card handed to the home plate ump and to Cincy.
Mets' manager, Callaway, won't reveal who made out the wrong line-up.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is as about lolMets as you can get. Wow.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 05-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

I actually think the Cubs did that back when Dusty Baker was managing them too. I think it was kinda late in the year and a somewhat important game too.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-10-2018, 02:03 PM
WSI Guru

When Ted Williams was managing the Senators, he did it against the White Sox in 1971. Chuck Tanner waited until a crucial point in the game then let the umpires know about it.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Some website compiled a list of every batting out of order incident in MLB history. It seems a lot of the time, the opposing manager waits until a strategic time to call them out on it.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
When Ted Williams was managing the Senators, he did it against the White Sox in 1971. Chuck Tanner waited until a crucial point in the game then let the umpires know about it.
From http://www.retrosheet.org/outturn.htm

5/22/1972 - The Texas Rangers batted out of order in the bottom of the 10th inning against Chicago. Texas had made a double switch an inning earlier when Paul Lindblad entered the game as the new pitcher and Don Mincher went to first base. Evidently Rangers manager Ted Williams did not notify the umpire, who therefore recorded the substitutions in the same batting order slot as the previous players at the same defensive position. This is usually referred to as 'straight up.' Thus when Mincher batted in the ninth spot in the 10th inning he was out of order. Lindblad was called out with Toby Harrah as the runner on first and then Elliott Maddox struck out to end the game, with the White Sox winning 7-6.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

So what happens in this situation, the batter who was supposed to go up is called out, then game resumes as normal, right?

On that retrosheet page, they mention times the ump forgot the count, and it happens often even nowadays!! What the hell, how can you forget the count, then give away 3 ball walks, or keep the AB going after 4 balls or 3 strikes?!!! Unreal, how do the teams let these incompetent umps get away with it. If I'm pitching and a hitter gets 1st on 3 balls, I'm not pitching to the next guy, I'm waiting for the previous batter to return to the box to finish the AB.

For years, Milwaukee, which is west of Chicago, were in the division we were supposed to be in. It woulda brought us more revenue, which changes many things for the better. Meanwhile, the flubs were allowed in their East Div even though they belonged in West. MLB caved to the Tribune company like suckers. Cubs and Cards shoulda been in the West while Reds and Braves in the East. The 82 West Champs were east of the East Champs.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.

Last edited by cub killer; 05-20-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:19 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
We were totally screwed, just like we were for years when Milwaukee, which is west of Chicago, were in the division we were supposed to be in. It woulda brought us more revenue, which changes many things for the better. Meanwhile, the flubs were allowed in their East Div even though they belonged in West. We're seriously the Chicago Rodney Dangerfields. No respect at all
John Helyar's book, The Lords of the Realm goes into this a lot. The Cubs remained in the East because the Tribune Company was adamant about keeping as many late starts as possible out of the equation. It was bad for ratings on WGN and WGN Superstation. (i.e. 9PM starts Chicago time from the West Coast). Every time the subject for realignment came up the Cubs voted against it and so did the Mets because they wanted to retain the rivalry. That was enough to stop any changes.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:48 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
The Sox finished the season with 4 games left to play and only a game behind Cle in the win collumn. Which means they could have won the pennant if both teams finished their schedules. This is absurd, why didn't they finish their schedules! Is travel so expensive, the Palehose had to be screwed out of a pennant they wouldn't win for another 39 years! I'm livid at this, the only postseason those days was the Series, so it wouldn't have been pushed to any absurd cold weather. To cut travel costs, you could have all teams make up games at 1 venue, the venue that would require least combined travel.
It looks like 1924 was the first year where teams were required to finish their 154 games if it affected the pennant outcome.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L
Sep 22 L
Sep 23 L
Sep 25 W

Next Game 2019 ?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
It looks like 1924 was the first year where teams were required to finish their 154 games if it affected the pennant outcome.
They did finish the schedule in 1920, the Sox were two games out after 154 games, the last of which was played Oct 3. Previous poster is somehow confused. The page linked showed the standings as of Sep 29.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
They did finish the schedule in 1920, the Sox were two games out after 154 games, the last of which was played Oct 3. Previous poster is somehow confused. The page linked showed the standings as of Sep 29.
My apologies, the day after that day had no standings, so I assumed the season was over. Here is the final count: http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1920/10031920.htm

It's interesting how tie games didn't count, yet what happened in them counted towards the record books.