White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2018, 02:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Alec Hansen to begin throwing next week

https://twitter.com/FutureSox/status/991363447408427009

Everybody breathe out now. It's gon be okay.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 05-01-2018, 02:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
https://twitter.com/FutureSox/status/991363447408427009

Everybody breathe out now. It's gon be okay.
Let's hope so. We'll see what happens after he's thrown a bit if the issue returns much like Rodon's did last year.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Bigger disappointment than the Big League club to me has been the injuries to the young players who were suppose to be knocking on the door soon.

I thought this team would make noise come 2019 but doesn't look that way now with the delayed arrivals of Hansen and Robert. They would have been the next pair to come along in 2019, after the 2018 pair of Eloy and Kopech.

The list of injuries and initial projected ETAs to the updated ones IMO:

Burdi - 2017 now 2019
Eloy - 2018 now 2018 still possible
Hansen - 2019 now 2020
Robert - 2019 now 2020
Burger - 2020 now 2021

This doesn't include Rodon who should have solidified being the anchor of the Big League staff by now.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
Bigger disappointment than the Big League club to me has been the injuries to the young players who were suppose to be knocking on the door soon.

I thought this team would make noise come 2019 but doesn't look that way now with the delayed arrivals of Hansen and Robert. They would have been the next pair to come along in 2019, after the 2018 pair of Eloy and Kopech.

Burdi - 2017 now 2019
Hansen - 2019 now 2020
Robert - 2019 now 2020
Burger - 2020 now 2021

This doesn't include Rodon who should have solidified being the anchor of the Big League staff by now.
Robert never was going to be promoted from Dominican Summer League all the way to the majors in one calendar year anyway. The time he has missed only matters if it contributes to a setback when he gets back on the field.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Robert never was going to be promoted from Dominican Summer League all the way to the majors in one calendar year anyway. The time he has missed only matters if it contributes to a setback when he gets back on the field.
Disagree. Some scouts had him on the fast track to the Bigs.

Anticipation was he'd blow up Advanced A and be in Birmingham at the end of the year. Then it would have been the Eloy approach after that.

So July 2019 would not have been a stretch.

Well, assuming a full year of minor league ball here in 2018.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Disagree. Some scouts had him on the fast track to the Bigs.

Anticipation was he'd blow up Advanced A and be in Birmingham at the end of the year. Then it would have been the Eloy approach after that.

So July 2019 would not have been a stretch.

Well, assuming a full year of minor league ball here in 2018.
Still not out of the question assuming he comes in and obliterates A+. Could spend a month there and get called up to AA only to see himself on the cusp at the end of the year. I always had him pegged as a September 2019 call up, and I don't see what's wrong with that.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple
I always had him pegged as a September 2019 call up, and I don't see what's wrong with that.
September, sure. Not an entire season in 2019, though. He should get at least 1,000 more plate appearances in the minors before he is promoted on a permanent basis. I would rather see him get more than that, if only to give him a chance to adjust to playing with more muscle on his frame. At that point, skipping the September callup and waiting until mid-April 2020 would buy the team a whole extra year of control; the team would be foolish to pass on that.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Burdi - 2017 now 2019
Hansen - 2019 now 2020
Robert - 2019 now 2020
Burger - 2020 now 2021

Looks to me like the 2020 plan is still doing just fine. Maybe Burger isn't ready by then, but we have Yolmer who is a ~3 WAR player at 3b so it's not that big a deal.

Also, Hansen could still find his way to the bigs next season barring any more setbacks.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:01 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Also, Hansen could still find his way to the bigs next season barring any more setbacks.
I agree. He gave up some runs and walks when he first got to AA but that's to be expected for almost any player right after they get promoted. There is a period of adjustment. But he was also still maintaining a very high K rate and continued to make hitters look foolish.

I'm willing to bet we see him on the team in the summer of 2019. I cannot wait- dude has some filthy stuff.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Burdi - 2017 now 2019
Hansen - 2019 now 2020
Robert - 2019 now 2020
Burger - 2020 now 2021

True that these injuries are a big disappointment. But, I'm hopeful that the worst these injuries will do is delay these players' ETA and will not affect their long-term success as MLB players.

Robert's and Jimenez's injuries should only be short-term (a couple of months) setbacks. Burdi missing a season and a half really sucks, but at least there's a pretty high recovery rate from TJS. It also sucks to have Burger go down with a season-ending injury in Februray, but even there i'm still hopeful that he'll have a full recovery from the ruptured Achilles tendon.

I'm still concerned about Hansen due to the vagueness of what we know about his forearm injury. It sounds like he's been cleared to resume throwing, so we'll see in a few weeks.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
True that these injuries are a big disappointment. But, I'm hopeful that the worst these injuries will do is delay these players' ETA and will not affect their long-term success as MLB players.

Robert's and Jimenez's injuries should only be short-term (a couple of months) setbacks. Burdi missing a season and a half really sucks, but at least there's a pretty high recovery rate from TJS. It also sucks to have Burger go down with a season-ending injury in Februray, but even there i'm still hopeful that he'll have a full recovery from the ruptured Achilles tendon.

I'm still concerned about Hansen due to the vagueness of what we know about his forearm injury. It sounds like he's been cleared to resume throwing, so we'll see in a few weeks.
100% Agree. Healthy recoveries is most important, regardless of time.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Any update on when Alec Hansen will be ready to pitch? Last I heard (a few weeks ago), he was building up arm strength in extended spring training. I believe extended spring training is coming to an end soon.