White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

It's time to bench Palka.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Sox still tied with the Marlins for the 3rd pick. Padres won yesterday, Marlins and Tigers lost.

6. Tigers: 64-94
5. Padres 64-95
3T. Marlins: 62-96
3T. Sox 62-96

Remaining games: Padres - 3 vs. Arizona, Marlins - 3 at Mets, Tigers - 1 at Twins and 3 at Brewers.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:45 PM
WSI Prelate

With 2 days left:

6. Padres 65-95
5. Tigers: 64-96
4. Marlins: 63-96
3. Sox 62-98
Old 09-30-2018, 03:04 PM
WSI Prelate

We have clinched third. Who is available at three or is it way too early to know?

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
We have clinched third. Who is available at three or is it way too early to know?
Too early to know.

Hopefully Rutschman, though.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 09-30-2018, 04:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Too early to know.

Definitely. If his 2019 approximates his 2018, he wonít just be the best catcher available, but likely the best position player available.

If so, letís hope BALT and KC draft pitchers.

On the other hand, if Rutschman goes 1 or 2, then maybe weíll find that another stud pitcher has fallen into our laps.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Too early to know.

Really, we won't have an idea until April or May who might be the best picks at 3.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ck-draft-2018/

Take a look at the Baseball America mock draft, none of their top 6 even went in the top 15, some of those guys fell out of round 1. Just really early.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ck-draft-2018/

Take a look at the Baseball America mock draft, none of their top 6 even went in the top 15, some of those guys fell out of round 1. Just really early.

Indeed. Some high school junior might vault up the charts.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-01-2018, 10:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Indeed. Some high school junior might vault up the charts.
I think it is why I love the baseball draft so much. The NFL you kind of know earlier, and then the combine shakes stuff up. The NBA you almost surely know, But with Baseball, you literally have no idea. In 6 months, a kid can get shoulder inflamation, find or lose 5 mph on his fastball, lose the zone, grow 2 inches and find some power, lose his swing, gain bat speed. It is such a collection of so many little tools.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:09 PM
WSI Prelate

What are the bonus pool implications of getting the 3rd pick?

Did this have any impact on who the Sox were able to draft/sign this past June (for example, drafting and signing Bryce Bush)?
Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
What are the bonus pool implications of getting the 3rd pick?

Did this have any impact on who the Sox were able to draft/sign this past June (for example, drafting and signing Bryce Bush)?

Having the third pick means their bonus pool will be larger than it would be if they had the fourth pick.

The FutureSox draft tracker really tells the story.

• Total bonus pool alloted: $10,589,900
  • Sum of amounts that hit pool (Rounds 1-10, plus any amount over 125k for 11-40): $10,959,400
    • White Sox went over pool by $369,500, on which they will pay an extra 75% penalty ($277,125)
  • Total amount spent on bonuses for all rounds: $12,284,400
  • Total amount spent including penalties: $12,561,525

They signed their first 34 picks, and didn't sign picks 35-40. That, plus their willingness to go over their total bonus pool amount (and thus pay the penalty), allowed them to pay overslot for Walker and still sign Bush. All in all, they seemed to handle their bonus pool allocation expertly.

EDIT: I realize I probably didn't answer your question. In my opinion, given how well they handled their bonus pool in 2018, I suspect with their first pick they will take the player ranked highest on their draft board - probably again a college player - and then still have plenty of money to draft whoever they want in subsequent rounds.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think it is why I love the baseball draft so much. The NFL you kind of know earlier, and then the combine shakes stuff up. The NBA you almost surely know, But with Baseball, you literally have no idea. In 6 months, a kid can get shoulder inflamation, find or lose 5 mph on his fastball, lose the zone, grow 2 inches and find some power, lose his swing, gain bat speed. It is such a collection of so many little tools.
When I was in high school, there were two really good high school Basketball player in the Chicago area who were the same age/year: Mark Aguirre a Isiah Thomas. When they were high school juniors, everyone said they would go first and second in the NBA draft.

They did, several years later.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
When I was in high school, there were two really good high school Basketball player in the Chicago area who were the same age/year: Mark Aguirre a Isiah Thomas. When they were high school juniors, everyone said they would go first and second in the NBA draft.

They did, several years later.
Yup, the NBA you generally know early on who the top 2-3 picks are, NFL is a little more variance but similar.

I mean think about this, The generational player of this age group is easily Mike Trout. But he was never supposed to be Mike Trout. Jason Heyward was SUPPOSED to be Mike Trout, but fell short. He is still an all-star, but viewed by most to be a disappointing player.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:24 PM
WSI Regular

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...on-salem-dash/

Season in Review: 2018 Winston-Salem Dash

Some good stuff in there about Luis Gonzalez.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Iím looking forward to see who we can bolster the system with. Chances are, this selection will not make an impact for some time. Thus, I want to see the progress our prospects make between now and the start of next season.