Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2019, 01:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Getting a ball (on the road)

I moved to the Washington DC area nearly a decade ago and I haven't seen the Sox play in person much since then. On June 4, the Sox will be playing the Nationals in DC and I plan to be there. The Nationals have been a huge disappointment this year and ticket prices to Nats Park are in free fall. I think I can get a seat right behind the Sox dugout, possibly just a few rows behind it.

I've never had an MLB player intentionally throw a ball at me. I've had two guys hit foul balls to my seat (I caught Jeff Kent's foul ball in Milwaukee in 2003, Ichiro Suzuki's foul ball bounced out of my hand in 2004) but nobody ever tossed me a ball. I see guys getting balls from players all the time though.

I assume wearing a Sox jersey and being close to the dugout will help. How big of a difference will having a glove make? I don't own a glove but could conceivably borrow one between now and then.

I've been going to ballgames a long time now and I've checked a lot of boxes. I've seen weird plays, attended the World Series and the All Star Game, even had Bob Howry sign an autograph for me once. But getting a ball from a player would be something new.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Best advice for getting a ball, t-shirt etc.? Bring a kid with you. Borrow one from a friend if necessary. When my kids were young, they were magnets for balls (from players and bat boys) and t-shirts (from the Pride Crew). I believe my daughter may be the all-time career leader for t-shirts thrown to her by the Pride Crew.

The new extended netting makes it much more difficult to get a ball from a player between innings.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 6-2
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

283-243
Old 05-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I moved to the Washington DC area nearly a decade ago and I haven't seen the Sox play in person much since then. On June 4, the Sox will be playing the Nationals in DC and I plan to be there. The Nationals have been a huge disappointment this year and ticket prices to Nats Park are in free fall. I think I can get a seat right behind the Sox dugout, possibly just a few rows behind it.

I've never had an MLB player intentionally throw a ball at me. I've had two guys hit foul balls to my seat (I caught Jeff Kent's foul ball in Milwaukee in 2003, Ichiro Suzuki's foul ball bounced out of my hand in 2004) but nobody ever tossed me a ball. I see guys getting balls from players all the time though.

I assume wearing a Sox jersey and being close to the dugout will help. How big of a difference will having a glove make? I don't own a glove but could conceivably borrow one between now and then.

I've been going to ballgames a long time now and I've checked a lot of boxes. I've seen weird plays, attended the World Series and the All Star Game, even had Bob Howry sign an autograph for me once. But getting a ball from a player would be something new.
I get seats like that regularly in Oakland. I've had one player acknowledge me and try to toss me the baseball, but the guy in the row in front of me a few seats down jumped in and snagged it.

And I've never gotten a baseball at a game ever. Came close a few times including once on my birthday at Sox park when the ball bounced off the wall of suites and was going to land in my hands until the tall guy two rows behind me tried to spear it one handed as it went past and flicked it over my head.

Frank's 400th landed 5 rows in front of me too...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-28-2019, 03:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Best advice for getting a ball, t-shirt etc.? Bring a kid with you. Borrow one from a friend if necessary. When my kids were young, they were magnets for from balls from (players and bat boys) and t-shirts (from the Pride Crew). I believe my daughter may be the all-time career leader for t-shirts thrown to her by the Pride Crew.

The new extended netting makes it much more difficult to get a ball from a player between innings.

I can vouch for the "bring a cute kid with you" idea . i used to bring my nephew to Sox games at the old Arlington Stadium, back when he was around 6 or 7 . he was a pretty adorable kid . one game he came home with 8 balls given to him by players.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post

I was at a game a month or so ago at Yankee stadium, and the LF tossed the ball in my direction. I had to jump a little to reach it, and in the end it bounced off my hand and someone a couple rows back caught it. If I was wearing a glove I would have caught it.

In 2011 at a Sox-Orioles game in Camden I caught a foul ball off the bat of Chris Davis. My wife was pregnant at the time and I gave the ball to my daughter when she was born. It's her good luck charm.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:21 PM
WSI Personality

If you don’t care if it’s an in-game ball, get there during batting practice. The nets are up and guys are coming and going. I’d echo the “bring a kid with you” sentiment. My scheme that works, though not as well as a kid but almost is to bring my attractive, Sox-gear-bedecked wife. I just sit back and help her identify who to holler at.

Last edited by XplodingScorbord; 05-28-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 05-28-2019, 03:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Thanks. My kid is a toddler, but in a few years I'll start that particular strategy.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Like XplodingScorbord said wear your Sox stuff and get to batting practice. You'll get one, if only for the reason that your son is a toddler and you want a big league ball for room decorations.

As for the glove, you'll only need one if you're warming up a pitcher.

Good luck!
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-28-2019, 05:25 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

You'll need a kid with you. MLB encourages the players to toss the balls to kids. This all started after the last strike and MLB was looking for ways to get the fans back. Before that, you did not see so many balls tossed in the stands (they cost money!).

Also, there is the netting to deal with...…...

Old 05-28-2019, 05:54 PM
WSI Guru

Saw a game at Fenway two summers ago when the Sox were playing the Carmines. Got there early and went down to the Sox dugout. Rick Hahn tossed a ball up to my son and we we later got his autograph and Rodon's. Does not hurt to wear Sox jerseys. I think they appreciate seeing Sox fans on the road.