Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
He can't judge where a fly ball is going to land, that's about 90% of his problems
I knew his routes were bad but getting poor jumps and poor reads is asking for trouble.

Luckily Darryl Hamilton is here to help: https://www.mlb.com/video/how-to-jud...all/c-34604733
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Well if that's the case they will need to work with him maybe a month before ST unless somehow he discovers how to play the posistion the remaining 4 months of the season.
Stranger things have happened.
Yes, and include Charlie Tilson also. I'm not sure of the CBA or MLB rules but if possible, I would like these two guys to get some intense workout and instructions in fielding during the off season.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Dudes gonna have to make up a lot of runs to make up for his fielding. I'm not saying it's out of the question but if he can still produce those runs at DH and the sox can get a LF that is serviceable and not give up those runs, they're probably better off for it. I don't think there's any sugarcoating how bad he is out there
I canít understand why so many people find the idea of Eloy at DH so loathsome.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I canít understand why so many people find the idea of Eloy at DH so loathsome.
I don't have a problem with it but Cease has to be a #3 or that trade stinks to all hell imo
Old 06-03-2019, 10:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Dudes gonna have to make up a lot of runs to make up for his fielding. I'm not saying it's out of the question but if he can still produce those runs at DH and the sox can get a LF that is serviceable and not give up those runs, they're probably better off for it. I don't think there's any sugarcoating how bad he is out there
It would appear the White Sox don't want him to DH. I don't know if it's because there are people in the organization who believe, as I do, that he will never reach his offensive potential if he doesn't play a position or if there are others in the organization who believe, as I do, that bringing up a young player doesn't play a position despite being physically able would limit the team's potential for future offensive growth. It's quite possible that they wouldn't have signed him to a six-year deal if it meant he would be the DH for the next six years.

For now though, it's not me and people who agree with me keeping Eloy Jimenez from spending more time on the bench. And I can't imagine any other team would be running him out as their every-day DH.

Maybe he will evolve into a player who DHs at least as much as he plays the outfield, but he lacks the credentials to be someone the White Sox can simply stick at DH for six years, even if fans believe his offensive breakout is impending.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

You're talking about a lot of development both offensively and defensively at the MLB level. Typically the development at the mlb level is adjusting to pitching, learning how to play a position is asking a lot imo
Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't have a problem with it but Cease has to be a #3 or that trade stinks to all hell imo
In the time Quintana has been a Cub, he has accumulated 4.7 WAR. That WAR would have gone to waste with the White Sox. Letís say he gets another 5 or 6 WAR before his contract expires at the end of next season. I feel pretty confident in saying that Jimenez and Cease will get us a much better return than that 10 or 11 WAR, and at a time when we can actually put it to good use.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I quoted you because I agree with you. This team is just a lot better off with a better LF and Eloy at DH. It wonít happen right away, but I hope it happens within the next few years.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
In the time Quintana has been a Cub, he has accumulated 4.7 WAR. That WAR would have gone to waste with the White Sox. Letís say he gets another 5 or 6 WAR before his contract expires at the end of next season. I feel pretty confident in saying that Jimenez and Cease will get us a much better return than that 10 or 11 WAR, and at a time when we can actually put it to good use.
Yep and 5 years from now hopefully Cease and Eloy are very good players in their mid 20s for the Sox while a 35 year old Quintana could very well be on the last legs of his career.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
I quoted you because I agree with you. This team is just a lot better off with a better LF and Eloy at DH. It wonít happen right away, but I hope it happens within the next few years.
Not me. I hope Eloy becomes a little bit better in LF with practice and repetition and lives up to his full offensive potential and they find someone else who can DH and can't play any position but 1B to fill that niche.

Eloy clearly has the athleticism and hand/eye coordination to play LF. I want to see if he can do it. I'm already seeing something that is far different, but I watch all the games on TV. He has improved his decision making and he's covering a lot more ground with more assurance. I definitely think we need to give him more time than a month before we can say for sure what his best position will be 2 years from now.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-04-2019, 01:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not me. I hope Eloy becomes a little bit better in LF with practice and repetition and lives up to his full offensive potential and they find someone else who can DH and can't play any position but 1B to fill that niche.

Eloy clearly has the athleticism and hand/eye coordination to play LF. I want to see if he can do it. I'm already seeing something that is far different, but I watch all the games on TV. He has improved his decision making and he's covering a lot more ground with more assurance. I definitely think we need to give him more time than a month before we can say for sure what his best position will be 2 years from now.
I don't agree that he does, I think he's clunky and slow, and even if he can magically get through the instinct issues he has he'll never be close to average in left. I don't want him to necessarily DH, but if he can't learn a different position like 1B, then we're still going to be immensely better with him filling the DH role and spotting OF/1B while another far superior defender from our system mans the role. We're strongest in OF prospects and most of them are good defenders. It just doesn't seem smart for the long term plan to cement someone like Eloy in that spot. Even if he can be average, which I suspect won't happen...but even if he can, we're a worse team than if we allow pretty much any other OF in our system play left and moving his bat to where it will hurt us less.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Why does the DH need to be a backup 1B instead of a backup LF? If anything, this would ensure that an injury or an ejection to either the starting 1B, or the backup 1B when the primary 1B is the DH, doesn’t require pitchers to bat. If the primary LF gets hurt or tossed, someone else on the bench can fill that role.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Why does the DH need to be a backup 1B instead of a backup LF? If anything, this would ensure that an injury or an ejection to either the starting 1B, or the backup 1B when the primary 1B is the DH, doesnít require pitchers to bat. If the primary LF gets hurt or tossed, someone else on the bench can fill that role.
It's what the Sox are currently doing, so that doesn't seem a huge concern.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It's what the Sox are currently doing, so that doesn't seem a huge concern.
They are doing it currently because the pain of salt-and-peppering the ~$6 million that Alonso is owed is simply more than they can bear, team success be damned. It's the same reason we will be getting a heaping helping of Jon Jay in the near future.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Eloy on pace to hi 40+ HR over a full season and his OPS is up to .785. BA is a bit low and he's not walking as much as I'd like, but given how young and new he is I'm very happy. He continues to make all the basic plays in LF and seems to have strong glove skills. His arm is obviously weak and he's still working on where to throw the ball, but given how bad he looked in LF when he first came up I'm very happy with his defensive efforts in LF.
Closed Thread