Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

The loudest I’ve heard it in person was Crede’s extra inning home against Cleveland in September of ‘05. Not the biggest crowd ever, but the most frantically relieved outburst I’ve heard.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:10 AM
WSI Personality

Game 1 vs Boston in 05 is the only playoff game I've been to. The White Sox hit 5 home runs in that one and put the game away early. I don't think any particular moment came close to setting a record for decibels, however.

I was also at the Sox-Cubs game on Friday June 28, 2002 when they came back from 8-0 down to beat the Cubs 13-9. Everyone seemed to know the comeback was on after Konerko hit a 2 run homer off Kerry Wood in the 5th to cut the lead to 8-4. They rallied for 6 more runs in the 6th to take a 10-8 lead, highlighted by another Konerko home run. That second homer was probably the loudest moment I've personally witnessed at new Comiskey.

Looking back on that boxscore 17 years later, it's almost incredible to fathom that all those names were on the same field at the same time:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00206280.shtml
Old 06-04-2019, 11:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
I can only go by the games I was at. But the dropped 3rd strike game where Crede hit the double to win it in the bottom of the 9th...

I didn't even realize they shot off fireworks, it was so loud in the stadium. I've never been to a game that was that loud.

I also went to WS game 1, it was loud, but nothing compared to when Crede hit that double of the LF wall!
I was at the game as well and hands down the loudest crowd I have ever heard. I remember hugging a group of 4 (65+yr olds) who were jumping up and down. I get chills thinking about how loud and amazing that game was.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Loudest I've ever heard in person was Crede's go-ahead grand slam at the 2008 home opener.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Old Comiskey, July 31, 1977. 50,412 in attendance.
Southside Hitmen come from behind to win the first game of a Sunday Double Header against the Royals. Sox tied it up in the bottom of the ninth at 2-2. Royals pick up 2 in the top of the 10th to go ahead 4-2 but the Sox win it in the bottom of the ninth 5-4. Huge win at the time as IIRC the Sox went up 6.5 games on the Twins and 7 on the Royals. Old Comiskey went bonkers, the place was shaking like never before, it was actually louder than a Blackhawk game at Chicago Stadium. I know that the Konerko WS grand slam had to be amazing but the thing is that 1977 game had to be louder as Comiskey was almost completely enclosed as it was double decked all the way around except for the small bleacher in CF but the huge scoreboard also kept the noise inside the park, that plus there were 10,000 more fans in attendance than at the 2005 WS. The only downer was the Sox lost the nightcap and August and September came along and the magical season faded into a memory. I often wonder what would have happened if the Sox won the nightcap and swept the 4 game series, probably not much as the Sox lacked the pitching and defense to win the division. I remember well the 1959 team as they are still my favorite Sox team of all time but the overall fun, magic and atmosphere at Comiskey the first 4 months of 1977 was something to behold with among other things, Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye becoming our fight song.
I saw that game on TV and could tell how loud it was. I worked then in an electronics shop that sold TVs, and we had the game on. Customers gathered around the shelf to watch. What I especially remember was how angry Doug Bird was after giving up the 10th-inning homer to Chet Lemon that tied it up. The scoreboard seemed to explode longer than usual, and Bird was shouting at his catcher as he angrily gestured toward the scoreboard.

The Royals were good, and they knew it. Being in second place behind the Sox really annoyed them, and it showed. Man, what a fun summer that was.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I'm thinking 1973 when Bill Sharp threw a strike to home plate from from the warning track, top of the 9th, to throw out the (A's??) runner and end the game a White Sox win. That was very dramatic.
I think you’re thinking of this 1972 game when Pat Kelly not known for his throwing arm nailed Bert Campaneris at the plate in the 8th inning to preserve Wilbur Wood’s shut out in a crucial game against the A’s at Old Comiskey Park. Ed Herrmann got his pants shredded on the play and the picture of that hung proudly at Old Comiskey behind home plate underneath the stands.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...070CHA1972.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F44DFECF-EF71-46EC-805C-F40AC85D2A76.jpeg (71.1 KB, 19 views)

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 06-04-2019, 12:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
This is a GREAT call. I was at the game in the grandstand down the left-field line. Veeck sold as many SRO tickets as people wanted to buy and fans were everywhere, including sitting on the stairs of the aisles. I recall the Kansas City left fielder made an error in one of the late rallies and the place thundered where you could feel the stands shaking. Yes, because of the park's acoustics and the size of the crowd this game may have actually been louder than Konerko's World Series slam. I was at the one, too. I might go with the '77 game being louder, but maybe the Konerko slam cheering was more intense per fan? I was at the Blackout Game as well and you could say that one had the most sustained loud cheering thoughout.
The KC outfielder who made the error was Joe Zdeb, a Maine South alum.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:41 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Yeah, we've been short on loud moments on the South Side in recent years, and we have no way of knowing how loud crowds were in 1906 and 1917. But with that said, what do you think has been the moment where a home Sox crowd was so vocal one couldn't hear themselves think?

For me, it's easily Paul Konerko's World Series grand slam. Everyone knew the magnitude of the moment, and the Sox had the right man up in that spot. It was clear everyone would go absolutely nuts if he came through, and he came through immediately with the best possible outcome. I definitely screamed loudly at home, and I would have given everything to be at the ballpark that night with my Sox brethren. What a moment that was.
I was there. Pods' home run was much louder. MUCH. Most of us still had a voice after Paulie's Slam. After Pods went Yard, I did not have a voice for two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
It was nearly a decade before I was born. My money would be on disco demolition night.
I was there. The loudest noise was Harry Caray on the PA begging the people to get off the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Old Comiskey, July 31, 1977. 50,412 in attendance.
Southside Hitmen come from behind to win the first game of a Sunday Double Header against the Royals. Sox tied it up in the bottom of the ninth at 2-2. Royals pick up 2 in the top of the 10th to go ahead 4-2 but the Sox win it in the bottom of the ninth 5-4. Huge win at the time as IIRC the Sox went up 6.5 games on the Twins and 7 on the Royals. Old Comiskey went bonkers, the place was shaking like never before, it was actually louder than a Blackhawk game at Chicago Stadium. I know that the Konerko WS grand slam had to be amazing but the thing is that 1977 game had to be louder as Comiskey was almost completely enclosed as it was double decked all the way around except for the small bleacher in CF but the huge scoreboard also kept the noise inside the park, that plus there were 10,000 more fans in attendance than at the 2005 WS. The only downer was the Sox lost the nightcap and August and September came along and the magical season faded into a memory. I often wonder what would have happened if the Sox won the nightcap and swept the 4 game series, probably not much as the Sox lacked the pitching and defense to win the division. I remember well the 1959 team as they are still my favorite Sox team of all time but the overall fun, magic and atmosphere at Comiskey the first 4 months of 1977 was something to behold with among other things, Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye becoming our fight song.
I wasn't there, but watched it on television and listed on the radio. That was one of the most exciting non-2005 weekends in White Sox history. The crowd was into it.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Others have mentioned Game 1 against Boston in 2005. I just remember when Matt Clement was pulled and the crowd started singing "Na, Na, Na..." it seemed joyously, wonderfully loud.

Maybe because I was scream-singing along with everyone else, but that was something amazing in which to participate.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
I was at the game as well and hands down the loudest crowd I have ever heard. I remember hugging a group of 4 (65+yr olds) who were jumping up and down. I get chills thinking about how loud and amazing that game was.
We were doing the same thing, outside of usually family things, this was easily one of the most positive memorable moments in my lifetime!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:24 PM
WSI Prelate

How loud was it when Michael Barrett slugged AJ? I'd imagine the noise on the field was palpable given the addition of Cub fans as well.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I was at the Robin Ventura Game (7/31/91). When Robin hit the slam, it was LOUD! Good sized crowd, too.

O/T: the loudest sporting event I went to was the Week Three game the 1985 Bears played at the Metrodome. In the First Half when Steve Fuller was playing like me (three times he had First and Goal and all three times resulted in Field Goals), the Viking fans were so loud, you could not hear your own voice (the Dome was a huge echo chamber). When McMahon came off the Bench in the Second Half with three quick TDs, it was so quiet in there, you could hear a frog fart on the other side of the stadium......
Old 06-04-2019, 03:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I was at the Robin Ventura Game (7/31/91). When Robin hit the slam, it was LOUD! Good sized crowd, too.

O/T: the loudest sporting event I went to was the Week Three game the 1985 Bears played at the Metrodome. In the First Half when Steve Fuller was playing like me (three times he had First and Goal and all three times resulted in Field Goals), the Viking fans were so loud, you could not hear your own voice (the Dome was a huge echo chamber). When McMahon came off the Bench in the Second Half with three quick TDs, it was so quiet in there, you could hear a frog fart on the other side of the stadium......
I was at that Bear game as well, oddest memory was seeing O.J. and Nicole stepping out of the elevator in our hotel.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Tie - the aforementioned AJ drop 3rd game and the blackout game. The blackout game was pure insanity
Old 06-04-2019, 04:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I didn't make it to the WS (my unused tickets to Game 6 are framed and hanging in my office). The loudest crowd at a game I attended is probably the Black Out Game in 2008 -- following Thome's homer or Anderson's game-ending catch.

The crowd also went nuts when Griffey threw out Cudduyer at the plate.

Other than the Blackout Game, the loudest I remember a crowd being was in 2005 when AJ hit the walk off against the Dodgers on Turn Back the Clock night.