White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-04-2019, 05:57 PM
JohnTucker0814 JohnTucker0814 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 4,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
How loud was it when Michael Barrett slugged AJ? I'd imagine the noise on the field was palpable given the addition of Cub fans as well.
I was at that game... it was loud but nothing close to being the loudest. It was more of laughing than cheering!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,896
Blog Entries: 52
Default

You guys are all wrong. The World Series was damp, cold and filled with a lot of corporate types and out of towners.

Biggest pop ever was the ALCS Game 2 Iguchi 3-run bomb off David Wells. Place was a madhouse and 99% Sox fans.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:39 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,896
Blog Entries: 52
Default

(Of course this entire thread is completely subjective and unverifiable)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:24 PM
I_Liked_Manuel I_Liked_Manuel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: downers ****ing grove
Posts: 1,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
The loudest Iíve heard it in person was Credeís extra inning home against Cleveland in September of Ď05. Not the biggest crowd ever, but the most frantically relieved outburst Iíve heard.
I'd agree with that, a lot of nervous relief released there. That division race was getting too close for comfort after what they'd done all season
__________________
Teacher Says, Every Time Brian Anderson Gets A Hit, An Angel Gets Its Wings.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:28 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
I'd agree with that, a lot of nervous relief released there. That division race was getting too close for comfort after what they'd done all season
If we lost that game, things could have changed drastically.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 PM
I_Liked_Manuel I_Liked_Manuel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: downers ****ing grove
Posts: 1,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If we lost that game, things could have changed drastically.
No doubt, Crede put a stamp on the 2005 AL Central with one tall shot to left that night
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 PM
KenBerryGrab KenBerryGrab is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, Wis.
Posts: 2,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Old Comiskey, July 31, 1977. 50,412 in attendance.
Southside Hitmen come from behind to win the first game of a Sunday Double Header against the Royals. Sox tied it up in the bottom of the ninth at 2-2. Royals pick up 2 in the top of the 10th to go ahead 4-2 but the Sox win it in the bottom of the ninth 5-4. Huge win at the time as IIRC the Sox went up 6.5 games on the Twins and 7 on the Royals. Old Comiskey went bonkers, the place was shaking like never before, it was actually louder than a Blackhawk game at Chicago Stadium. I know that the Konerko WS grand slam had to be amazing but the thing is that 1977 game had to be louder as Comiskey was almost completely enclosed as it was double decked all the way around except for the small bleacher in CF but the huge scoreboard also kept the noise inside the park, that plus there were 10,000 more fans in attendance than at the 2005 WS. The only downer was the Sox lost the nightcap and August and September came along and the magical season faded into a memory. I often wonder what would have happened if the Sox won the nightcap and swept the 4 game series, probably not much as the Sox lacked the pitching and defense to win the division. I remember well the 1959 team as they are still my favorite Sox team of all time but the overall fun, magic and atmosphere at Comiskey the first 4 months of 1977 was something to behold with among other things, Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye becoming our fight song.
I was there. It was awesome. And then Hal McRae waved bye-bye in the nightcap, and that wound up being that.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic10044_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:09 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You guys are all wrong. The World Series was damp, cold and filled with a lot of corporate types and out of towners.

Biggest pop ever was the ALCS Game 2 Iguchi 3-run bomb off David Wells. Place was a madhouse and 99% Sox fans.
The World Series probably had more corporate types in the good seats, but up in the right field upper deck I saw nothing but crazy Sox fans, and the miserable weather didn't dampen the spirits at all. I obviously wasn't at most of these events, but I WAS at WS Game 2 and both Paulie's Grand Slam and Pods Walk Off were unlike anything else I ever experienced at a sporting event...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 17,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I was at the Robin Ventura Game (7/31/91). When Robin hit the slam, it was LOUD! Good sized crowd, too.
That was going to be my post, too. I was also there. Loudest I ever experienced in person, and the cheering went on forever. Even as we were walking out.



__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:12 AM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 27,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
The World Series probably had more corporate types in the good seats, but up in the right field upper deck I saw nothing but crazy Sox fans, and the miserable weather didn't dampen the spirits at all. I obviously wasn't at most of these events, but I WAS at WS Game 2 and both Paulie's Grand Slam and Pods Walk Off were unlike anything else I ever experienced at a sporting event...
Reading this really makes me glad that they had a camera to capture the 500 level's reaction to Pods' walkoff and that they put it in the World Series film.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
That was going to be my post, too. I was also there. Loudest I ever experienced in person, and the cheering went on forever. Even as we were walking out.



Thanks for memories in the YouTube.

Of course, those of us who were at the game missed one big part of White Sox history. This was the game where Hawk called Frank Thomas "The Big Hurt" for the first time. A legend was born that day.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-06-2019, 01:48 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 17,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Of course, those of us who were at the game missed one big part of White Sox history. This was the game where Hawk called Frank Thomas "The Big Hurt" for the first time. A legend was born that day.
I did not know that.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,320
Default

This has been a great trip down memory lane- feeling lucky to have attended most of these (Game 2, 2005 ALDS, Game 2005 World Series (Pods' walk off- my vote for loudest), 2008 Black Out Game, 1991 Ventura walk off grand slam vs. Gossage)- the South Side Hitmen game vs. KC (good old Channel 44 for me).

I'll add in the "honorable mention" category- Ron Bloomberg's home run to tie the Red Sox in the bottom of the 9th on Opening Day 1978 in front of a sell out crowd at Old Comiskey Park- a little left over magic from 1977. (Nordhagen's bloop single would eventually score Lemon to win it)
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
"When youíre going good, youíre not that ****ing good,but when youíre going bad, youíre not that bad. Thatís ****ing Satchel Paige there and thatís wisdom.Ē - Don Cooper, April-2019
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
This has been a great trip down memory lane- feeling lucky to have attended most of these (Game 2, 2005 ALDS, Game 2005 World Series (Pods' walk off- my vote for loudest), 2008 Black Out Game, 1991 Ventura walk off grand slam vs. Gossage)- the South Side Hitmen game vs. KC (good old Channel 44 for me).

I'll add in the "honorable mention" category- Ron Bloomberg's home run to tie the Red Sox in the bottom of the 9th on Opening Day 1978 in front of a sell out crowd at Old Comiskey Park- a little left over magic from 1977. (Nordhagen's bloop single would eventually score Lemon to win it)
I have an Honorable mention, Sox home opener in 1981, first home game of JR's ownership and Carlton Fisk's home game in front of 51,000 (which I have always questioned). Fisk's Grand Slam leading to a Sox victory against the Brewers was the highlight and it got loud but not as loud as the 7.31.77 game.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-06-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-06-2019, 08:51 AM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 7,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I was at the Robin Ventura Game (7/31/91). When Robin hit the slam, it was LOUD! Good sized crowd, too.
I was there, too. That was the loudest Sox crowd I was ever at. From my vantage point (upper beck, down the left field line) the ball looked like it would be gapper at least, but it never dropped
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.