GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2019, 05:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
How loud was it when Michael Barrett slugged AJ? I'd imagine the noise on the field was palpable given the addition of Cub fans as well.
I was at that game... it was loud but nothing close to being the loudest. It was more of laughing than cheering!
Old 06-04-2019, 06:37 PM
WSI Guru

You guys are all wrong. The World Series was damp, cold and filled with a lot of corporate types and out of towners.

Biggest pop ever was the ALCS Game 2 Iguchi 3-run bomb off David Wells. Place was a madhouse and 99% Sox fans.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:39 PM
WSI Guru

(Of course this entire thread is completely subjective and unverifiable)
Old 06-04-2019, 07:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
The loudest Iíve heard it in person was Credeís extra inning home against Cleveland in September of Ď05. Not the biggest crowd ever, but the most frantically relieved outburst Iíve heard.
I'd agree with that, a lot of nervous relief released there. That division race was getting too close for comfort after what they'd done all season
Old 06-04-2019, 07:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
I'd agree with that, a lot of nervous relief released there. That division race was getting too close for comfort after what they'd done all season
If we lost that game, things could have changed drastically.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If we lost that game, things could have changed drastically.
No doubt, Crede put a stamp on the 2005 AL Central with one tall shot to left that night
Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Old Comiskey, July 31, 1977. 50,412 in attendance.
Southside Hitmen come from behind to win the first game of a Sunday Double Header against the Royals. Sox tied it up in the bottom of the ninth at 2-2. Royals pick up 2 in the top of the 10th to go ahead 4-2 but the Sox win it in the bottom of the ninth 5-4. Huge win at the time as IIRC the Sox went up 6.5 games on the Twins and 7 on the Royals. Old Comiskey went bonkers, the place was shaking like never before, it was actually louder than a Blackhawk game at Chicago Stadium. I know that the Konerko WS grand slam had to be amazing but the thing is that 1977 game had to be louder as Comiskey was almost completely enclosed as it was double decked all the way around except for the small bleacher in CF but the huge scoreboard also kept the noise inside the park, that plus there were 10,000 more fans in attendance than at the 2005 WS. The only downer was the Sox lost the nightcap and August and September came along and the magical season faded into a memory. I often wonder what would have happened if the Sox won the nightcap and swept the 4 game series, probably not much as the Sox lacked the pitching and defense to win the division. I remember well the 1959 team as they are still my favorite Sox team of all time but the overall fun, magic and atmosphere at Comiskey the first 4 months of 1977 was something to behold with among other things, Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye becoming our fight song.
I was there. It was awesome. And then Hal McRae waved bye-bye in the nightcap, and that wound up being that.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You guys are all wrong. The World Series was damp, cold and filled with a lot of corporate types and out of towners.

Biggest pop ever was the ALCS Game 2 Iguchi 3-run bomb off David Wells. Place was a madhouse and 99% Sox fans.
The World Series probably had more corporate types in the good seats, but up in the right field upper deck I saw nothing but crazy Sox fans, and the miserable weather didn't dampen the spirits at all. I obviously wasn't at most of these events, but I WAS at WS Game 2 and both Paulie's Grand Slam and Pods Walk Off were unlike anything else I ever experienced at a sporting event...
Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I was at the Robin Ventura Game (7/31/91). When Robin hit the slam, it was LOUD! Good sized crowd, too.
That was going to be my post, too. I was also there. Loudest I ever experienced in person, and the cheering went on forever. Even as we were walking out.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-05-2019, 02:12 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
The World Series probably had more corporate types in the good seats, but up in the right field upper deck I saw nothing but crazy Sox fans, and the miserable weather didn't dampen the spirits at all. I obviously wasn't at most of these events, but I WAS at WS Game 2 and both Paulie's Grand Slam and Pods Walk Off were unlike anything else I ever experienced at a sporting event...
Reading this really makes me glad that they had a camera to capture the 500 level's reaction to Pods' walkoff and that they put it in the World Series film.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
That was going to be my post, too. I was also there. Loudest I ever experienced in person, and the cheering went on forever. Even as we were walking out.

Thanks for memories in the YouTube.

Of course, those of us who were at the game missed one big part of White Sox history. This was the game where Hawk called Frank Thomas "The Big Hurt" for the first time. A legend was born that day.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:48 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Of course, those of us who were at the game missed one big part of White Sox history. This was the game where Hawk called Frank Thomas "The Big Hurt" for the first time. A legend was born that day.
I did not know that.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 AM
WSI High Priest

This has been a great trip down memory lane- feeling lucky to have attended most of these (Game 2, 2005 ALDS, Game 2005 World Series (Pods' walk off- my vote for loudest), 2008 Black Out Game, 1991 Ventura walk off grand slam vs. Gossage)- the South Side Hitmen game vs. KC (good old Channel 44 for me).

I'll add in the "honorable mention" category- Ron Bloomberg's home run to tie the Red Sox in the bottom of the 9th on Opening Day 1978 in front of a sell out crowd at Old Comiskey Park- a little left over magic from 1977. (Nordhagen's bloop single would eventually score Lemon to win it)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
This has been a great trip down memory lane- feeling lucky to have attended most of these (Game 2, 2005 ALDS, Game 2005 World Series (Pods' walk off- my vote for loudest), 2008 Black Out Game, 1991 Ventura walk off grand slam vs. Gossage)- the South Side Hitmen game vs. KC (good old Channel 44 for me).

I'll add in the "honorable mention" category- Ron Bloomberg's home run to tie the Red Sox in the bottom of the 9th on Opening Day 1978 in front of a sell out crowd at Old Comiskey Park- a little left over magic from 1977. (Nordhagen's bloop single would eventually score Lemon to win it)
I have an Honorable mention, Sox home opener in 1981, first home game of JR's ownership and Carlton Fisk's home game in front of 51,000 (which I have always questioned). Fisk's Grand Slam leading to a Sox victory against the Brewers was the highlight and it got loud but not as loud as the 7.31.77 game.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-06-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I was at the Robin Ventura Game (7/31/91). When Robin hit the slam, it was LOUD! Good sized crowd, too.
I was there, too. That was the loudest Sox crowd I was ever at. From my vantage point (upper beck, down the left field line) the ball looked like it would be gapper at least, but it never dropped