Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2019, 05:32 PM
WSI Personality

Default *Official* 6/5/19 Nats Walkoff Postgamer

Why do pop ups keep dropping between our fielders? Seriously after opening weekend we heard that that was something to be learned from and that we wouldn't be seeing it again except we've seen it now on multiple occasions. Not a fan of this manager.

And I know that people scoff at this and I know that realistically the Sox may not be an above .500 team...however, it is a lot easier to go out and perform when there are zero expectations and you are already counted out. It's a mindset. So when EVERY time the Sox approach .500 they implode and get back down to 5 or 6 games under (which I know they haven't yet) it makes me question what kind of mindset Ricky's boys really have. Is the moment already too big for them? Is .500 some kind of pressure valve for this club? Even with just 1 starter they have had chances to get beyond with last night being a great example and it just alludes everytime.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Why do pop ups keep dropping between our fielders? Seriously after opening weekend we heard that that was something to be learned from and that we wouldn't be seeing it again except we've seen it now on multiple occasions. Not a fan of this manager.

And I know that people scoff at this and I know that realistically the Sox may not be an above .500 team...however, it is a lot easier to go out and perform when there are zero expectations and you are already counted out. It's a mindset. So when EVERY time the Sox approach .500 they implode and get back down to 5 or 6 games under (which I know they haven't yet) it makes me question what kind of mindset Ricky's boys really have. Is the moment already too big for them? Is .500 some kind of pressure valve for this club? Even with just 1 starter they have had chances to get beyond with last night being a great example and it just alludes everytime.
It's going to be hard to get to .500 or above because of the lack of starting pitching. The loss of Kopech and Rodon has made things really tough. Next year with everyone healthy and the addition of Cease and hoping that Lopez figures things out, I'm thinking that we will be a contender. Luis Robert and Zach Collins should make the club next year and maybe Nicky Madrigal too.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-05-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 PM
WSI Personality

For me, Lopez has been the biggest disappointment of 2019. I know that was yesterday, but he's been so bad ever since that start a few Sundays ago.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
For me, Lopez has been the biggest disappointment of 2019. I know that was yesterday, but he's been so bad ever since that start a few Sundays ago.
Honestly pretty much since the second game against KC.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
He well outperformed his peripherals last season, indicating a ton of luck. Still, this year has been even worse.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-05-2019, 08:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
It's going to be hard to get to .500 or above because of the lack of starting pitching. The loss of Kopech and Rodon has made things really tough. Next year with everyone healthy and the addition of Cease and hoping that Lopez figures things out, I'm thinking that we will be a contender. Luis Robert and Zach Collins should make the club next year and maybe Nicky Madrigal too.

I'm not sure Kopech and Rodon will be healthy. I'm not sure if Cease will, let alone Lopez will have it figured out the major league game. I have no confidence Hahn's ability to assemble a bullpen. I can't be confident in a team coming together with players who have never had such success at the major league level. The team might be more fun to watch with more hitting, but every bit as frustrating as the seasons leading up to 2017 without solid pitching. The Thomas-Ventura teams of the early 1990s ultimately didn't have enough pitching to win, and they had a core of McDowell, Fernandez and Alvarez.

If the prospects coming up were developing their ability to win with small-ball and defense, where they could go for wins on days when the hitting isn't there, I would feel better about the White Sox chances in the future. But without solid pitching, ignoring the need for solid defense (exclusive of Jimenez), I'm not so sure next year will be any different than this year, and I don't know when it will.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If the prospects coming up were developing their ability to win with small-ball and defense
Have you seen the run totals in baseball? This simply isn't a viable philosophy for the time being.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Have you seen the run totals in baseball? This simply isn't a viable philosophy for the time being.
Haven't you been reading this forum? Only people old enough to remember certain eras of baseball know the right way to play the game.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That is irrelevant, and the failure of people to understand this dumbfounds me. The only run totals that matter in baseball on any given day are the ones for your team and the team you're playing. If you lose by fewer runs than the number of runners you got to third with less than two outs and failed to score, your inability to play small ball more effectively cost you the game.

If a team scores nine runs against you in a Lopez start, that doesn't mean you're going to need to score 10 runs in a Giolito start. If you have a 5-3 lead in the fifth with runners and second and third and nobody out, you have a better chance of getting through the next half inning with a lead, a better shot at winning the damn game, if you score those runners.

It isn't a question of teams playing small ball in place of an offense that focuses on power. It's about taking advantage of every opportunity you have, about stepping up and driving in runs when you have the opportunity, not about bunting whenever you get a leadoff runner on first, but being able to bunt when you need to bunt, the ability to hit behind the runner when you need to, etcetera, to score more runs than you allow to win the game.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
That is irrelevant, and the failure of people to understand this dumbfounds me. The only run totals that matter in baseball on any given day are the ones for your team and the team you're playing. If you lose by fewer runs than the number of runners you got to third with less than two outs and failed to score, your inability to play small ball more effectively cost you the game.

If a team scores nine runs against you in a Lopez start, that doesn't mean you're going to need to score 10 runs in a Giolito start. If you have a 5-3 lead in the fifth with runners and second and third and nobody out, you have a better chance of getting through the next half inning with a lead, a better shot at winning the damn game, if you score those runners.

It isn't a question of teams playing small ball in place of an offense that focuses on power. It's about taking advantage of every opportunity you have, about stepping up and driving in runs when you have the opportunity, not about bunting whenever you get a leadoff runner on first, but being able to bunt when you need to bunt, the ability to hit behind the runner when you need to, etcetera, to score more runs than you allow to win the game.
Somewhere there is an NBA franchise screaming about the over-reliance on 3s and fast breaks and lamenting the loss of the mid-range jumper, all while adding another season to the list of consecutive seasons missing the playoffs, and wondering why the game isn’t played as it once was, because all that’s needed is holding your opponent to fewer points than you score.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Haven't you been reading this forum? Only people old enough to remember certain eras of baseball know the right way to play the game.
Yeah, as if the "analytics are everything" people are shy about telling us the right way to play the game.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-06-2019, 04:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
This has nothing to do with many of us who remember a time when fundamentals were stressed. Fundamentals always matter: in any profession.

In this time now the only thing that matters is a lot of runs, mostly through the home run and those home runs have to be majestic. It is tailor made for today's society: wider choices in entertainment, rejecting deep dives into subject matter, the use of media to accentuate audio and video to get that all important visceral reaction.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 AM
WSI High Priest

What a miserable 16 innings after we took the 5-0 lead in game 1 and looked to be on the threshold of .500. The thing that bothered me the most was the fall off on our defense and fundamentals- Anderson's dropped pop up, Bummer's error on an easy throw to 1st, Cordell bunting to 3rd base side .vs 1st base- all self inflicted wounds.

Nothing is more frustrating than a .500 team.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
What a miserable 16 innings after we took the 5-0 lead in game 1 and looked to be on the threshold of .500. The thing that bothered me the most was the fall off on our defense and fundamentals- Anderson's dropped pop up, Bummer's error on an easy throw to 1st, Cordell bunting to 3rd base side .vs 1st base- all self inflicted wounds.

Nothing is more frustrating than a .500 team.
Sure there is. A team that's always on the cusp of .500 but can never seem to get there.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM
WSI Prelate

If you want to play small ball, you better have the pitching. And that means top 2 or 3 in pitching. The Sox have bottom quartile pitching.
The lack of pitching is what's going to hold this back. Lopez isn't a calamity; as Kittle pointed out above, he was outperforming his peripherals when his ERA was good. He could still be a good reliever. The ratio has to be 2 prospects for 1 spot, and that's probably not even enough.
The Astros have had injuries galore; aside from 3 studs out of the lineup, their their prized pitching prospect Whitley is on the shelf. Look at the Yankees.