GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2019, 03:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Interest in the Sox is Rising

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...sports-chicago

TV ratings up, live streaming of games is up and White Sox Talk podcast is seeing increases. As they all should be. Team is not ready to contend, but they are a lot more watchable and they have players casual fans are interested in.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

It's because of the 40th anniversary of Disco Demolition.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
It's because of the 40th anniversary of Disco Demolition.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

That tv rights bubble is going to have to pop at some point if the sox are drawing in less than 40,000 viewers per game
Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 PM
WSI Regular

If the White Sox can sweep the Yankees, then this team's profile in Chicago is going to just explode.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM
WSI Guru

Also in today's Sun-Times, they mentioned how NBC Sports Chicago is going to change to a degree once the Cubs jump ship. Can't wait to see what happens with that.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 PM
WSI High Priest

As I said a week or so ago: White Sox stuff is popping up. T-shirts, hats, hoodies, etc...
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-15-2019, 12:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Not possible. I was told that the rebuild was on the road to total failure and it was only a matter of time until they packed up and moved to Montreal.

All kidding aside, tonight was the biggest non-Crosstown Classic crowd I've seen in years. Even if you want to attribute that to it being the Yankees on a Friday night, I've been to nine or ten so far this year and there has been a noticeable increase in crowd density lately compared to the last few years. It's almost as if their presence on the South Side isn't a desperate lost cause, and people actually show up when they put an interesting and competitive team on the field.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Saw a White Sox hat out here in Colorado Springs.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Not possible. I was told that the rebuild was on the road to total failure and it was only a matter of time until they packed up and moved to Montreal.

All kidding aside, tonight was the biggest non-Crosstown Classic crowd I've seen in years. Even if you want to attribute that to it being the Yankees on a Friday night, I've been to nine or ten so far this year and there has been a noticeable increase in crowd density lately compared to the last few years. It's almost as if their presence on the South Side isn't a desperate lost cause, and people actually show up when they put an interesting and competitive team on the field.

Attendance will improve with better performance. As for the Crosstown Classic I'd expect the attendance to be exceptional. I'd also expect the series to chippy between the two teams.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
As I said a week or so ago: White Sox stuff is popping up. T-shirts, hats, hoodies, etc...
One of the little things in life I am grateful for is that in my neighborhood the Sox stuff never goes away. But even so, I can notice an increase.

Whoever at the Sox chose that hoodie giveaway back in April deserves a bonus. It'a good quality, good looking, and I've seen a lot of them around town in this cool spring we've had.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Saw a White Sox hat out here in Colorado Springs.
I see them fairly regularly in the Bay Area. If I have time and it's not an intrusion I ask the person if they like the Sox or if it's a fashion statement. Last two people went like this.

First one was a younger woman - late teens or early 20's working the cashier stand at a restaurant. It was a fashion statement, so I told her to remember the name Frank Thomas AKA "The Big Hurt" She misheard me as "The Big Heart" so I made sure she had it right and told her it was because he hit baseballs so hard they used to scream in pain. Now if someone else asks her she has at least one fact to throw out there.

Second one was a guy in his late 20's early 30's. He was with friends in line at a local ramen shop in a food court in a local Japanese supermarket (best ramen EVER and it took 60+ minutes between line and waiting for the order to get our food that day - but that's another story). He immediately replied he was a Sox fan who had moved here recently from another state. He was really quite knowledgeable and knew a lot of details both about the big club and the kids in the minors. Line was moving so slowly we got to talk for a few minutes and when we came around the next snake loop resumed our conversation.

Great ice breaker.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I see them fairly regularly in the Bay Area. If I have time and it's not an intrusion I ask the person if they like the Sox or if it's a fashion statement. Last two people went like this.

First one was a younger woman - late teens or early 20's working the cashier stand at a restaurant. It was a fashion statement, so I told her to remember the name Frank Thomas AKA "The Big Hurt" She misheard me as "The Big Heart" so I made sure she had it right and told her it was because he hit baseballs so hard they used to scream in pain. Now if someone else asks her she has at least one fact to throw out there.

Second one was a guy in his late 20's early 30's. He was with friends in line at a local ramen shop in a food court in a local Japanese supermarket (best ramen EVER and it took 60+ minutes between line and waiting for the order to get our food that day - but that's another story). He immediately replied he was a Sox fan who had moved here recently from another state. He was really quite knowledgeable and knew a lot of details both about the big club and the kids in the minors. Line was moving so slowly we got to talk for a few minutes and when we came around the next snake loop resumed our conversation.

Great ice breaker.
I saw another dad at my sonís camp orientation in Michigan rocking a Sox vintage hat. I asked him if he was a fan or just liked the hat. He looked at me like I was a total idiot. He said he was a big fan. I then attempted to engage him about Madrigalís hot start in Birmingham and he had no clue who I was talking about.

I sometimes make the mistake of assuming every fan is like those of us here.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I saw another dad at my sonís camp orientation in Michigan rocking a Sox vintage hat. I asked him if he was a fan or just liked the hat. He looked at me like I was a total idiot. He said he was a big fan. I then attempted to engage him about Madrigalís hot start in Birmingham and he had no clue who I was talking about.

I sometimes make the mistake of assuming every fan is like those of us here.
Hey, I am a big fan who only followed the minors... um... minorly... until the last few seasons and this year in particular.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

I believe there was a survey in England about 10 years ago where British people who had never heard of MLB teams ranked the MLB hats and the Sox hat rated very highly if not #1. It's a sweet hat so lots of people are going to wear it.

I had an amusing incident a few years ago. I was out with a Cubs fan friend and the Cubs had beaten the heck out of the Phillies that day. We came across a man wearing a Phillies hat (on the south side of Chicago) and my friend talked **** to him. The man had no idea what was going on and was incredibly confused by this, but the rest of his outfit was red and it was clear he just picked that hat out for the colors.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides