White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:08 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is offline
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,960
Default White Sox To Extend Netting To Foul Poles

First team in MLB to go all the way to the poles

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...source=twitter
  #2  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:20 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
First team in MLB to go all the way to the poles

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...source=twitter
Really? I thought a few other teams had extended it all the way. I think it's actually a good move. The netting doesn't obstruct your view much at all and I think eliminating the chance of any screaming line drive coming your way is a good trade.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
  #3  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:43 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,256
Default

I donít want to be accused of victim blaming, because Iím not that guy. However, I am positive a lot of these injuries have to do with people not watching the actual game going on right in front of them. Itís a terrible trend I see everywhere in life, right now, where people are constantly diverting their eyes from dangerous situations. Yes, Iím talking about smart phones and how make most everything less safe and serious consideration needs to be given to banning them in the lower concourse during gameplay.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
  #4  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Yes, I’m talking about smart phones and how make most everything less safe and serious consideration needs to be given to banning them in the lower concourse during gameplay.
Oh my. Want to decrease attendance even further?

Sorry to be glib. It's just not realistic.

If a person wants to come to a ballgame, which should not inherently be a dangerous event (though it does come with an appropriate assumption of risk), and pay no attention to the game, they should be allowed to, and generally free and safe to do so.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #5  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Oh my. Want to decrease attendance even further?

Sorry to be glib. It's just not realistic.

If a person wants to come to a ballgame, which should not inherently be a dangerous event (though it does come with an appropriate assumption of risk), and pay no attention to the game, they should be allowed to, and generally free and safe to do so.
I know it’s not a popular sentiment. I get the argument that everyone should be made to feel safe from danger at an event that is supposed to be family fun. I get the idea behind limiting risks and liability. I even get the need to accommodate the reality of modern existence. However, I’ve always held the belief that taking away personal accountability by bubble wrapping everything and everyone is not a real solution for limiting danger in any setting.
  #6  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:55 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I know itís not a popular sentiment. I get the argument that everyone should be made to feel safe from danger at an event that is supposed to be family fun. I get the idea behind limiting risks and liability. I even get the need to accommodate the reality of modern existence. However, Iíve always held the belief that taking away personal accountability by bubble wrapping everything and everyone is not a real solution for limiting danger in any setting.
I appreciate the explanation. But really, unless we are encasing the audience or the playing field in shatter-proof glass, you're taking it a step too far. The change here is a pretty simple one, overall. Players are stronger. Balls are more tightly wound. Pitchers all throw 95+ now. The game has changed and the dangers have changed, so it makes sense for the security measures to also change.
  #7  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:57 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I donít want to be accused of victim blaming, because Iím not that guy. However, I am positive a lot of these injuries have to do with people not watching the actual game going on right in front of them. Itís a terrible trend I see everywhere in life, right now, where people are constantly diverting their eyes from dangerous situations. Yes, Iím talking about smart phones and how make most everything less safe and serious consideration needs to be given to banning them in the lower concourse during gameplay.
I think it was Brandon McCarthy who pointed out on Twitter that one of the appealing parts of going to game in person is you can see things on the field that you couldn't see on TV. So maybe someone in the stands is thinking "I want to see how Mike Trout gets such a good jump on the ball, so I'm just going to watch what he does in this at bat," and while watching him you miss the ball coming at you at 110 mph.

I think the problem is that the game moves so much faster now, for a variety of reasons, even if you ARE paying attention to the game, you might not have time to react to that screaming line drive.
  #8  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:05 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think it was Brandon McCarthy who pointed out on Twitter that one of the appealing parts of going to game in person is you can see things on the field that you couldn't see on TV. So maybe someone in the stands is thinking "I want to see how Mike Trout gets such a good jump on the ball, so I'm just going to watch what he does in this at bat," and while watching him you miss the ball coming at you at 110 mph.

I think the problem is that the game moves so much faster now, for a variety of reasons, even if you ARE paying attention to the game, you might not have time to react to that screaming line drive.
I’m also not saying I don’t like the nets or get the need for them. I’m just bringing up another serious point of safety at the ballpark. It’s happening all too often at games where I hear the PA announcer remind everyone to be aware that the ball being thrown 95 and hit 110 should be watched at all times after someone in the stands gets drilled while looking down at their phone. I can’t count the times I’ve witnessed it first hand just rows from my regular seats at Chase field.
  #9  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:14 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Iím also not saying I donít like the nets or get the need for them. Iím just bringing up another serious point of safety at the ballpark. Itís happening all too often at games where I hear the PA announcer remind everyone to be aware that the ball being thrown 95 and hit 110 should be watched at all times after someone in the stands gets drilled while looking down at their phone. I canít count the times Iíve witnessed it first hand just rows from my regular seats at Chase field.
My point though was you can be watching the game and still wind up getting drilled. Honestly, if you reach down to get your drink and your eyes are off the game for a second, you could miss something. It's not JUST because of phones.
  #10  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Kilroy Kilroy is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Really? I thought a few other teams had extended it all the way. I think it's actually a good move. The netting doesn't obstruct your view much at all and I think eliminating the chance of any screaming line drive coming your way is a good trade.
I disagree with this completely. I have sat in seats behind the net and didn't like the view one bit. I have refused those tickets since that because I didn't want to watch thru the net. So now, about 75% of lower bowl seats will be what I'd call obstructed view.

This has been coming since they extended the nets to the ends of the dugouts. I don't like it, but majority rules.

Hello Goose Island.
  #11  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:17 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lake in the Hills
Posts: 5,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I donít want to be accused of victim blaming, because Iím not that guy. However, I am positive a lot of these injuries have to do with people not watching the actual game going on right in front of them. Itís a terrible trend I see everywhere in life, right now, where people are constantly diverting their eyes from dangerous situations. Yes, Iím talking about smart phones and how make most everything less safe and serious consideration needs to be given to banning them in the lower concourse during gameplay.
I agree that smart phones can cause people to be distracted, but frankly anything can cause someone to be distracted for a split second that could lead to getting hit in the face with a ball. A beer vendor, a kid asking a question, dropping something on the ground, whatever. It's not just smart phones that cause people to be distracted and it would be ridiculous to ban those devices in the lower concourse when netting can be extended to provide additional safety.

I was at the Monday Nats game last week and about 3-4 sections over from where the person was hit by the ball. Guy in front of me wondered why the netting wasn't extended to the foul pole already.
  #12  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:28 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I agree that smart phones can cause people to be distracted, but frankly anything can cause someone to be distracted for a split second that could lead to getting hit in the face with a ball. A beer vendor, a kid asking a question, dropping something on the ground, whatever. It's not just smart phones that cause people to be distracted and it would be ridiculous to ban those devices in the lower concourse when netting can be extended to provide additional safety.

I was at the Monday Nats game last week and about 3-4 sections over from where the person was hit by the ball. Guy in front of me wondered why the netting wasn't extended to the foul pole already.

^This.

Anyone who has ever brought a child to a game knows it's impossible to keep your eyes glued to the field every single moment of a 3+ hour game. Wasn't that kid who got hit by Almora's foul in Houston 4 years old? Are we to blame that incident on people these days and their damn smart phones?

Also, there are just so many other distractions at ballparks these days. The scoreboard is loaded with stats. Is it so terrible to be able to glance at that info without fear of getting my skull cracked by a foul ball?
  #13  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,897
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I donít want to be accused of victim blaming, because Iím not that guy. However, I am positive a lot of these injuries have to do with people not watching the actual game going on right in front of them. Itís a terrible trend I see everywhere in life, right now, where people are constantly diverting their eyes from dangerous situations. Yes, Iím talking about smart phones and how make most everything less safe and serious consideration needs to be given to banning them in the lower concourse during gameplay.
Most people are defenseless against a ball hit at 100mph at them. Even if they know itís coming. Even if they could defend themselves, it is also not fair to assume people are going to be able to watch every swing over the course of three hours.

I agree smart phone addiction exists, but thatís not the issue here.
  #14  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:44 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
^This.

Anyone who has ever brought a child to a game knows it's impossible to keep your eyes glued to the field every single moment of a 3+ hour game. Wasn't that kid who got hit by Almora's foul in Houston 4 years old? Are we to blame that incident on people these days and their damn smart phones?

Also, there are just so many other distractions at ballparks these days. The scoreboard is loaded with stats. Is it so terrible to be able to glance at that info without fear of getting my skull cracked by a foul ball?
Sorry to pile on, but agreed. I took my 4 year-old daughter to the game a couple weeks ago. I had to spend a lot of time paying attention to her, getting adjusted in the seats, reaching for things, etc. that took my attention away from the game and toward other things. None of these involved my smartphone.

Not everyone is at the game to pay attention to every pitch. In fact, for us hardcore fans, it is a surprisingly low number of people who *are* there to pay attention to every pitch. Nor should anyone be expected to.

Sorry, KRS1, I see where you are coming from here and appreciate again the rationale you presented, but I think you've got this one wrong.
  #15  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:53 PM
lpneck lpneck is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 240
Default

I have been opposed to extended netting in the past- as recently as a few years ago when they extended them to the far end of the dugouts.

I don't like watching the game through the netting. I felt like I understood the risks of the danger of a screaming foul ball and was OK with the minimal risk to me.

After the Almora foul ball in Houston and his reaction, I realized I was wrong and was selfish, and have changed my mind.

This is also about protecting the PLAYERS.

Manny Mota has had to live his ENTIRE LIFE knowing that he hit a foul ball that killed a 14 year old boy.

Espen Knutsen with the Columbus Blue Jackets whose slapshot killed a 14 year old girl.

Todd Frazier was so, so lucky with the foul ball he hit that hit a 2 year old in the face.

There was a minor league game in Indianapolis this month where a child was hit in the face.

There's others. I understand that accidents happen and there is risk involved in everything. But if you can reduce the risk that I might accidentally kill someone at my job by something as simple as adding some nets, then it needs to be done.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.