White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #331  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 AM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,755
Default

Have to pay attention to Kanny. Many players having solid years over there, and they are basically playing our 2017 draft class.
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
  #332  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:51 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Have to pay attention to Kanny. Many players having solid years over there, and they are basically playing our 2017 draft class.
I would temper my enthusiasm over that Kanny team. A lot of those guys should be in W/S, but are blocked by better prospects. The Kanny lineup is actually older than the W/S lineup.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
  #333  
Old 05-02-2018, 09:34 AM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I would temper my enthusiasm over that Kanny team. A lot of those guys should be in W/S, but are blocked by better prospects. The Kanny lineup is actually older than the W/S lineup.
Majority college types, right? Probably why they are doing so well.
  #334  
Old 05-02-2018, 09:36 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I would temper my enthusiasm over that Kanny team. A lot of those guys should be in W/S, but are blocked by better prospects. The Kanny lineup is actually older than the W/S lineup.
Yep- hopefully we can start moving some talent from WS to Birmingham and get these guys up to WS where we can really assess what we have (Gonzalez in the OF and McClure are interesting guys to keep an eye on).

Skoug seems to be living up to his plummet to the 7th round last year.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
Players that are an important part of the rebuild:
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
  #335  
Old 05-02-2018, 10:09 AM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I met him briefly when my kids got his autograph at Spring Training. He’s two years removed from graduating high school. You’re last sentence is dead-on; he’s still growing! We need to give it a rest with the “he doesn’t hit for power” complaint.
Plus, with guys like Sheets, Robert, Jimenez, Burger etc...you need contact guys that can go .300-.320 with 8-12 HR's. If he's a doubles machine in the bigs it will be perfect for this team IMO.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
  #336  
Old 05-02-2018, 10:26 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Majority college types, right? Probably why they are doing so well.
Almost all college types. Of the players drafted on that team by the White Sox, all of them were in 2016 or 2017. Mike Hickman is the youngest of that group as a JC draftee. No High School draftees on that team and only 2 International FA.
  #337  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:17 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,755
Default

Rutherford tells me to take my homeruns and stick them where the suns don't shine. Four rbi's today.
  #338  
Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,991
Default

Right Now, I put my OF debt like this:
1) Eloy
2) Adolfo (can't deny the power)
3) Robert (would be number 2 if not for the setback)
4) Basabe (very close to 5 tool material here)
5) Rutherford (climbing)
6) Gonzalez (We'd be going gaga about this guy if not for the current depth)
7) Booker (sleeper - late bloomer)


The Sox OF depth is insane (good bye Avi).


I would hit middle IF hard and often this draft.
  #339  
Old 05-02-2018, 04:10 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Right Now, I put my OF debt like this:
1) Eloy
2) Adolfo (can't deny the power)
3) Robert (would be number 2 if not for the setback)
4) Basabe (very close to 5 tool material here)
5) Rutherford (climbing)
6) Gonzalez (We'd be going gaga about this guy if not for the current depth)
7) Booker (sleeper - late bloomer)


The Sox OF depth is insane (good bye Avi).


I would hit middle IF hard and often this draft.
Such a good call on Gonzalez. Booker I will take the same route as the others take with Zavala. He is older and taking advantage of a younger league. We will see if he can sustain it as he moves up.

Only disagree on Adolfo here. I would put him fifth in this order. Still many reports saying that he has a very poor swing that will get figured out as he moves higher. Plus, Robert is an all- world talent and got reviews similar to Moncada (if not better) from scouts during spring training. Rating Adolfo higher than a five tool prospect who is ranked top 25 without playing a single minor league game is a bit risky at the moment.

I would also put Basabe and Rutherford ahead of him.

My order would go thusly: Eloy, Robert, Basabe, Rutherford, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Booker.

Good news here is we have so much talent to play with and trade for future pieces.
  #340  
Old 05-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Rutherford tells me to take my homeruns and stick them where the suns don't shine. Four rbi's today.
3 of them on a bases loaded triple.
  #341  
Old 05-02-2018, 06:41 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Right Now, I put my OF debt like this:
1) Eloy
2) Adolfo (can't deny the power)
3) Robert (would be number 2 if not for the setback)
4) Basabe (very close to 5 tool material here)
5) Rutherford (climbing)
6) Gonzalez (We'd be going gaga about this guy if not for the current depth)
7) Booker (sleeper - late bloomer)


The Sox OF depth is insane (good bye Avi).
I hope he heats up just a little bit, so we can get more than a bag of balls for him, but yeah -- Avi is fool's gold.

I don't quite agree with your ranking, but these 7 are looking really good. (Booker 3-5 today with 3 RBIs and 2 scored, now batting .355.) And the sick thing is this isn't the end of our outfield depth. There's Cordell. And we would have been excited about Polo, Call, Dedelow and Frost a couple of years ago -- they might not be starters but they could become reserves or trade bait. Heck, even Destino has that kind of upside.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 05-02-2018 at 06:48 PM.
  #342  
Old 05-02-2018, 07:47 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Such a good call on Gonzalez. Booker I will take the same route as the others take with Zavala. He is older and taking advantage of a younger league. We will see if he can sustain it as he moves up.

Only disagree on Adolfo here. I would put him fifth in this order. Still many reports saying that he has a very poor swing that will get figured out as he moves higher. Plus, Robert is an all- world talent and got reviews similar to Moncada (if not better) from scouts during spring training. Rating Adolfo higher than a five tool prospect who is ranked top 25 without playing a single minor league game is a bit risky at the moment.

I would also put Basabe and Rutherford ahead of him.

My order would go thusly: Eloy, Robert, Basabe, Rutherford, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Booker.

Good news here is we have so much talent to play with and trade for future pieces.
My ranking meant right now, this moment. I think Adolfo has jumped ahead of Robert for the moment, this off course having to do with Robert's absence.

Adolfo gets the next ticket to Birmingham as soon as Eloy moves on.

Now, by the end of the season I expect Robert to take the 2nd spot again. Rutherford's and Basabe's disastrous 2017 is the reason I don't see them jumping Robert. They had a lot of catching up.
  #343  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:18 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,172
Default

I don't know which of the five "major" pitching prospects (Kopech, Gio, Lopez, Hansen, Cease) Dunning will be better than, but I'm positive he'll be better than at least a couple of them. Good stuff + great command = ML success. Can't see this guy busting, even if he only ends up a 4.00 ERA innings eater.
  #344  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,509
Default

Tonight was Dunning's 2nd start for Birmingham:

6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K
  #345  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I don't know which of the five "major" pitching prospects (Kopech, Gio, Lopez, Hansen, Cease) Dunning will be better than, but I'm positive he'll be better than at least a couple of them. Good stuff + great command = ML success. Can't see this guy busting, even if he only ends up a 4.00 ERA innings eater.
He's a third starter in a really good rotation at best, and a fifth starter in a good rotation at worst. My suspicion is that this is our rotatioN:

1. Kopech
2. Cease
3. Hansem
4. Lopez/ Giolito (depends on development)
5. Dunning

Fulmer will be in the bullpen as an innings eater or a set up man.
Rodon/ Giolito or Lopez will be traded for hitting or bullpen.

I can see Giolito and Lopez both surviving assuming one of those guys don't pan out (chance that injuries or lack of development does that).

EDIT:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...390&position=C

Something is going on with Collins. He has basically stopped striking out and has decreased his K-rate from close to 50% to almost 27% after today. He might have figured it out.

Oh, and another home-run.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.