White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 01:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Crazy but I check the MiLB box scores before I even sit down to watch the Sox game I'd recorded. Wish I could watch the games on TV - especially W-S and Kannapolis.
Get the milb TV package. Best investment you can make. It's like $35 for the season.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
9 caught stealing out of 29 tries comes out to roughly 31% caught stealing. I'd be curious to see how that compares to other prospects that are comparable in their development to Collins and what the league average is. Some of this might not be Collin's fault as there are other factors that go into cutting down the run game. Off the top of my head, how quick is the pitcher with his delivery to the plate, what is being done to hold the runner on, etc. I would also like to see if certain pitchers are being victimized more often than others when it comes to being run on.

Through 5/10, Zavala is at 1/3 of base runners caught stealing 6/18. So the two are roughly throwing out runners at nearly the same rate.
Oh yeah, I really am not sure how that compares and, like you said, other factors come in to play.

I just know that many have questioned his catching ability he was drafted. It's good to see him perhaps turn the corner offensively, but that's only half the battle if we hope for him to be our catcher of the future.

If I'm not mistaken, I think there have been questions about Zavala's catching abilities, too.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:43 PM
WSI Prelate

There goes Cease's ERA. Yikes.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
And Kopech’s. The duo has combined to allow 16 runs tonight.

On a positive, Collins hit another homer in his first AB.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Kopech hasn't look that great for a little bit. I know he is toying around with the change, but that is something to keep an eye on.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Kopech hasn't look that great for a little bit. I know he is toying around with the change, but that is something to keep an eye on.
Master what you have and experiment in spring training.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
And Kopech’s. The duo has combined to allow 16 runs tonight.

On a positive, Collins hit another homer in his first AB.
Yeah, crappy day in general down on the farm. Usually when the Sox play embarrassing baseball this season, I've at least been able to take solace in the outstanding results in the minors. At least Collins was 2 for 4 with a HR and a walk.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Minor league teams were back in business today, fortunately.

Charlotte got shelled again (behind Tomshaw, nobody to be concerned about) but Casey Gillaspie had a double and two singles, and Thyago Vieira posted a 2 0 0 0 0 4 line.

Birmingham is up 3-1 after five, behind Dunning. Matt Rose 2-2 so far with a homer, a double, and a walk.

Winston-Salem fell behind 5-0, then fought back to get the winning run to the plate in the ninth, losing 7-5. Matt Foster's relief line was 3 2 0 0 0 7. Alex Call had a double and 2 singles.

Kannapolis won behind 18 hits. Craig Dedelow 4-5 with 2 doubles, Laz Rivera 2-5 with a double and a homer, Luis Gonzalez 2-6 with a double and a homer, Johan Cruz with 2 doubles and a single, Justin Yurchak with 3 singles. Tyler Frost threw out runners at third and home.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:23 PM
WSI Prelate

The most interesting prospects to me in A ball are Gonzalez, Rivera, and Dedelow.

Also glad Stephen's got the call up. I expect him and Kopech to be in the majors this year taking over Gonzales and Shields spot and or Fulmer if he continues to under perform.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
The most interesting prospects to me in A ball are Gonzalez, Rivera, and Dedelow.

Also glad Stephen's got the call up. I expect him and Kopech to be in the majors this year taking over Gonzales and Shields spot and or Fulmer if he continues to under perform.
I hope Guerrero gets a few more quality starts and is next moving up to Charlotte- fingers crossed we'll need his slot for Hansen some time soon.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 05-14-2018, 11:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Stephens jumped ahead of Hansen and the struggling Spencer Adams.

I really thought Hansen was going to continue full steam and be flirting with a September call up this season. That's how good he has been.

Stephens could be a lotto ticket here. I think 25 now but it appears he's found it now after a few injuries.

I still see the 2020/2021 rotation playing out:

Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Lopez
Cease

Which by no coincidence are the best arms and stuff we have.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Stephens jumped ahead of Hansen and the struggling Spencer Adams.

I really thought Hansen was going to continue full steam and be flirting with a September call up this season. That's how good he has been.

Stephens could be a lotto ticket here. I think 25 now but it appears he's found it now after a few injuries.

I still see the 2020/2021 rotation playing out:

Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Lopez
Cease

Which by no coincidence are the best arms and stuff we have.
Here's an interesting look at Stephens's recent success. (I don't have access to the original Athletic article that is linked in this article). Yes, he's 25 and will turn 26 in September. He was the 5th round pick in 2015.
http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...tes-57-to-513/

I'm eager to see how Hansen does once he's done with extended spring training and begins his season. Is he expected to report to Birmingham?
Old 05-14-2018, 01:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Here's an interesting look at Stephens's recent success. (I don't have access to the original Athletic article that is linked in this article). Yes, he's 25 and will turn 26 in September. He was the 5th round pick in 2015.
http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...tes-57-to-513/

I'm eager to see how Hansen does once he's done with extended spring training and begins his season. Is he expected to report to Birmingham?
Indeed. Hahn confirmed this.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:54 PM
WSI High Priest

There were scouting reports that said Stephens was on track to be a first rounder before TJ surgery happened. If he is kind of small, but can gun for a spot in the middle or end of the year.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Kanny down 1-0 with 2 outs in the top of the ninth. Gonzalez forces an error and ties it up. Laz Rivera then singles to put them up 2-1.

Going to the bottom of the inning. Tyler Johnson with the save opportunity.
Closed Thread