Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2019, 06:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *Official* 5/11/19 Champagne Super Nova in the SkyDome Postgamer

Nova gave 6+ solid innings, James McCann continues to play at an All Star level, Yolmer looks like he may be coming around, good defense, good relief, whatís not to like?
Old 05-11-2019, 06:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Nova? Didn't the Sox take the advice of arm-chair GMs on WSI and DFA him after his May 1 start? He's obviously finished....no point in running him out there every 5th day.

Needless to say, if he can turn out to be a serviceable starter for us, that'll be much-needed with Rodon likely being out for the season.

Nice effort from the bullpen today for the final 3 innings of the game.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:23 PM
WSI Guru

James McCann was the story today. Just catching up on this game after getting in this afternoon. Unreal game, especially the hustle/heads up defense.

Charlie Tilson is a nice surprise also.

Keep it going.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
James McCann was the story today. Just catching up on this game after getting in this afternoon. Unreal game, especially the hustle/heads up defense.

Charlie Tilson is a nice surprise also.

Keep it going.
That's impossible. Hahn only makes terrible moves. In fact, he's the only GM in baseball who does. I refuse to believe any of this.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
That's impossible. Hahn only makes terrible moves. In fact, he's the only GM in baseball who does. I refuse to believe any of this.
Right? This McCann pickup is an absolute steal so far. Detroit gave him away.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Right? This McCann pickup is an absolute steal so far. Detroit gave him away.
Itís tough to say whether or not McCann would have succeeded like this if Detroit kept him. They were not going to give McCann a fair shot to supplant Grayson Greiner.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:34 PM
WSI Regular

I keep reading that Tilsonís style is outdated in todayís MLB but he produces runs by getting on base and moving throughout the bases. I find him very fun to watch.

One of the best moments was seeing McCann all over covering third base for the run down. He has been a fresh breath of good baseball air with a lot of ugly fielding and baserunning moments this year.

Letís go get this series!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 PM
WSI Prelate

This start was pretty much like Nova's last start except that the White Sox today wasted more opportunities than in his start against the Indians. In eight starts, he's had four where has given up an average of almost seven run a game and four where he's given up just one, including his last two starts. The split between good and bad doesn't seem to correlate with the quality of the opposition or home vs. road, although has had two poor starts at home for an ERA in the teens. It will take a few starts to determine if he has found it or if he is consistently inconsistent.

Today Nova was impressive. Sanchez homered to start the scoring and later drove in a run on a squeeze bunt, a parlay you don't often see in a single game. There were wasted opportunities, places where the Sox should have scored more. Fortunately today the pitching/defense foundation was solid enough that the unscored runs weren't needed.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
This start was pretty much like Nova's last start except that the White Sox today wasted more opportunities than in his start against the Indians. In eight starts, he's had four where has given up an average of almost seven run a game and four where he's given up just one, including his last two starts. The split between good and bad doesn't seem to correlate with the quality of the opposition or home vs. road, although has had two poor starts at home for an ERA in the teens. It will take a few starts to determine if he has found it or if he is consistently inconsistent.

Today Nova was impressive. Sanchez homered to start the scoring and later drove in a run on a squeeze bunt, a parlay you don't often see in a single game. There were wasted opportunities, places where the Sox should have scored more. Fortunately today the pitching/defense foundation was solid enough that the unscored runs weren't needed.
The Sox scored 7 runs on 11 hits and 5 walks. This criticism is ridiculously misguided.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Osich, Marshall and [especially] Bummer have all done a nice job stabilizing the front end of the bullpen. I'm not sure how long this will last, but kudos to them. And what can you say about James "Don't call me Brian" McCann? I'm not sure I've ever seen a Sox catcher play a more impactful game taking both offense and defense into account.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 05-11-2019, 11:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox win, eh.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

The sight of McCann running Vlad back to second from third is one for the highlight reels. In the on-field post he said that he was still out of breath a half inning later as he has never run that far in full gear.. Four for five and great defense, he's really fun to watch. Great game. Stroman having a hissy fit when he was taken out of the game was the icing on the cake. Can't stand that guy.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The Sox scored 7 runs on 11 hits and 5 walks. This criticism is ridiculously misguided.
The game was close until the seventh. The Jays also made three errors, two of which put runners on base. Sox left 10 on and hit into a double play in the last eight innings. They didn't score out of bases-loaded one out situation. Today they didn't need the runs because it was the Jays in Toronto this Saturday and not the Red Sox in Chicago last Saturday (or even Nova pitching against the Orioles). The Jays gave the Sox plenty of opportunities after Sanchez homered and the Sox shut the Jays down with only Grichuk (the outfielder the Angels picked in the 2009 draft before they selected Mike Trout) coming up with anything resembling a big hit.

If you look at baseball as one would look at a roulette wheel or perhaps a blackjack hand, my noting there were wasted opportunities could be considered misguided. If you care about playing the game correctly, not scoring out of a bases-loaded one-out situation is not something that should go unnoticed.

Is it about winning or is it about developing a team that plays the game right? I tend to think it should be about both. I'm happy that they won, certainly. I'm happy that Delmonico picked up Anderson in the seventh, the key play in the two-run seventh that put some distance between the Sox and the Jays. I'm not happy that one of the four runners Anderson left in scoring position was on third with one out and was left there going into the bottom of the ninth.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The game was close until the seventh. The Jays also made three errors, two of which put runners on base. Sox left 10 on and hit into a double play in the last eight innings. They didn't score out of bases-loaded one out situation. Today they didn't need the runs because it was the Jays in Toronto this Saturday and not the Red Sox in Chicago last Saturday (or even Nova pitching against the Orioles). The Jays gave the Sox plenty of opportunities after Sanchez homered and the Sox shut the Jays down with only Grichuk (the outfielder the Angels picked in the 2009 draft before they selected Mike Trout) coming up with anything resembling a big hit.

If you look at baseball as one would look at a roulette wheel or perhaps a blackjack hand, my noting there were wasted opportunities could be considered misguided. If you care about playing the game correctly, not scoring out of a bases-loaded one-out situation is not something that should go unnoticed.

Is it about winning or is it about developing a team that plays the game right? I tend to think it should be about both. I'm happy that they won, certainly. I'm happy that Delmonico picked up Anderson in the seventh, the key play in the two-run seventh that put some distance between the Sox and the Jays. I'm not happy that one of the four runners Anderson left in scoring position was on third with one out and was left there going into the bottom of the ninth.
The problem with this is that it assumes a 4/13 day at the plate with RISP is somehow inadequate, when it is anything but. Hitting 53 points better than the league average with RISP (.308 for the Sox today vs. a .255 league average) is a good day at the plate, not a bad one.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The problem with this is that it assumes a 4/13 day at the plate with RISP is somehow inadequate, when it is anything but. Hitting 53 points better than the league average with RISP (.308 for the Sox today vs. a .255 league average) is a good day at the plate, not a bad one.
It's not about percentages, certainly not the global percentages. I don't believe Delmonico, who picked up Anderson to begin to extend a seventh-inning two-run lead, is the future of this team, and I don't believe hitless Anderson leaving seven runners on base and hitless Abreu leaving five runners on base should fail to disappoint because the team overall had a higher batting average with runners in scoring position that major league baseball overall has had this season.

The team result was certainly more than adequate. The Sox probably would have won if they hadn't scored after the seventh. Fortunately, we'll never know. Sanchez drove in as many runs through seven as the Jays scored all day. The Jays meanwhile gave the White Sox an abundance of opportunity in the last three innings, and the five runs in the last three innings proved the difference in the game.

My initial statement wasn't even a criticism, really. It was an observation that the Sox wasted scoring opportunities. I think you not caring about wasting scoring opportunities is ridiculously misguided, but I really only mention that in response of your defense of wasting scoring opportunities.