GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The Sox came back to win game 5 and there was still hope as the Series came back to Comiskey Park but Lopez blundered and started Wynn on 2 days rest and Early didn't have it as the Dodgers won the Series with a 9-3 victory. Wynn was also rocked around in game 4 and most experts thought that Billy Pierce should have started game 6 with Wynn ready for game 7.
My Father never forgave Al Lopez for not starting Billy Pierce in the World Series, especially skipping over him in Game 6. To prove his point, he told me when Pierce moved on to the Giants in 1962, he was faced with a similar situation starting Game 6 for SF with the Giants trailing the Yankees 3 games to 2 and Billy Pierce came through in the clutch beating the Yanks and forcing a 7th game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p.../1962_WS.shtml

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 09-22-2019, 08:49 PM
WSI Regular

Like most of my generation I was camped in front of the TV 60 years ago tonight to watch the telecast from Cleveland with Jack Brickhouse. Those players will always be my heroes. It was a different time with no free agency. You knew the core of your team was going to be there year after year so it was much easier to have heroes. I've got at least 5 books written about this team...the latest being "Comiskey Park's Last World Series" by Charles Billington. When I read about these players it's easy to feel like I'm 9 again as opposed to almost 70. It was a great time for a Sox fan to grow up.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Pretty sure most experts picked the Sox as favorites to win the 59 Series, in fact I was watching a show the night before the Series where they used the old 1950s computer Univac to pick the winner and the Sox came out on top. Everyone was hoping for a Sox-Braves series, they were the better team than the Dodgers coming off 2 WS appearances in 57 and 58 winning it all in 57 but anyone can win a short Series as the Dodgers proved by beating the Braves.
I was two years old at the time, so I don't remember. What I remember is the Jausses and Gleasons talking in the 1970s about how the Sox were going to be outmatched by whatever team won the NL playoff. Both the Dodgers and Braves had won the series earlier in the decade. Of course, Roseboro shut down the Sox running game, which should have been predictable. The Braves had Aaron and Mathews, in the lineup -- home run hitters who were .300 hitters as well. Mathews and Aaron finished 2-3 in the MVP vote. The NL teams didn't have their rotation set, but the Braves had Spahn and and Burdette in the rotation and the Dodgers had Drysdale and Podres, both of whom beat the Sox.

Maybe some favored the Sox, but I don't see how the Sox losing could have been considered an upset.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 PM
WSI High Priest

I was 15 yrs old living in Buffalo, NY, listening to the Cleveland broadcast on my radio. With that DP I walked out of my bedroom into the living room with my arms raised. My father said," You've gotta be ****tin me". He then went to the fridge took out a bottle of beer and handed it to me. My mother sat open mouth watching me swig down that bottle. The best beer I've ever tasted.
Glory days for a White Sox Teen living in Yankee country!
Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 PM
WSI Regular

Thanks for the memories, Little Nell. I, too, have the team photo of the 1959 Sox proudly displayed in the basement.
My father never forgave Lopez for passing over Pierce. Any idea why he didn't want to start Pierce, his lefty ace, in that Series?
Old 09-23-2019, 12:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungo bat View Post
Thanks for the memories, Little Nell. I, too, have the team photo of the 1959 Sox proudly displayed in the basement.
My father never forgave Lopez for passing over Pierce. Any idea why he didn't want to start Pierce, his lefty ace, in that Series?
Pierce was 14-15 on the year? When Senor Al got a bug for someone he acted irrationally? Glad to see there are folks older than me posting here. May we all be around to see a few more 1959's and 2005's.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Pierce was 14-15 on the year? When Senor Al got a bug for someone he acted irrationally? Glad to see there are folks older than me posting here. May we all be around to see a few more 1959's and 2005's.
Billy had a sore arm issue for awhile in 59 but still pitched one of the greatest games in Sox history. On August 6th in Baltimore he went 16 innings in a 1-1 tie that lasted 18 innings and was postponed due to curfew laws in Baltimore at the time. I listened to that game with the transistor radio under the pillow and it ended at just after 12 midnight Chicago time. The curfew in Baltimore was that no inning could start after 1AM. For some reason Billy wasn't one of Lopez's favorites, probably why he didn't get a start in the Series. Lopez wasn't a Nellie Fox fan either.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-23-2019 at 02:33 PM.