White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #286  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:42 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I think Quintana brings back just as much value in a midseason trade as he does in a preseason trade. I think the Cubs start the season with him.
We should stay far far away from Quintana. For whatever reason he just doesn't have what it takes to get over that hump and become a truly dominant starter.
__________________
TWTW
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 PM
longtimefan longtimefan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
We should stay far far away from Quintana. For whatever reason he just doesn't have what it takes to get over that hump and become a truly dominant starter.
I can't argue with this but I really like Q as a person. He just did his job without drama. However, if you recall Q was having issues in the early part of the '17 season. I was worried we wouldn't be able to get value for him. Then along came the Cubs and the rest is history.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 10-19-2019, 09:35 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,281
Default

Jose Quintana is one of my favorite White Sox players of all time. Jose washed out of two different organizations as a minor leaguer and through hard work, gumption, and craftiness built himself up into a solid #2 pitcher. There have been better players in White Sox history but it's really hard to not like Jose Quintana. Contrast him with Chris Sale, who had all the talent in the world but...

That said, he's in the tail end of his career. He'd be fine as a backstop, I guess, but he won't address the issues at the top of the rotation.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 10-20-2019, 12:22 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
That said, he's in the tail end of his career. He'd be fine as a backstop, I guess, but he won't address the issues at the top of the rotation.
Why would you think he's at the end of his career? He's 30, just put up 3.5 fWAR last season and his FIP was 3.80. His ERA was exaggerated by a higher BABIP against him. He's probably not the all star player he was before but I'd take him over Bumgarner in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,305
Default

There’s no reason for the Cubs to not pick up Q’s option for a measly $10M.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 10-20-2019, 12:42 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
There’s no reason for the Cubs to not pick up Q’s option for a measly $10M.
And they really need the pitching.
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 10-20-2019, 12:51 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,643
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
There’s no reason for the Cubs to not pick up Q’s option for a measly $10M.
Yeah, I don't think there's any chance they don't keep him for that price. Heck if they aren't in the hunt they can trade him mid-season and get back at least something and probably a decent haul if he's having a solid year.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 10-21-2019, 07:58 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,790
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
We should stay far far away from Quintana. For whatever reason he just doesn't have what it takes to get over that hump and become a truly dominant starter.
Thing is, the Sox could use a couple of effective starters as well, even if not dominant. Numerous organizational minor leaguers started games for the Sox last year; that's inexcusable going forward.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 10-22-2019, 02:15 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,305
Default

I still can’t give up on Rodon and hope this surgery is finally what makes him a healthy pitcher going forward, as it has for quite a few. He was looking nasty just before this injury and had some good, but unsteady, levels of success with some great games sprinkled in. His health was the only thing holding him back, that’s simple fact, and hopefully this “fixes” him.

Regardless, we still have to prepare to move forward without him and hope he comes back, succeeds and likes our atmosphere enough to take a mutually beneficial deal going forward.

Speaking of contracts, it’s time for the rebuild to grow legs. Spending money shouldn’t be an issue with baseball teams anymore, especially after revenue sharing on seasons with record amounts of teams in deep, cheap rebuild. We are a major market and hopefully we act like it when we go after our targets. Sell them on the future and reward them with big upfront cash to help kickstart it. I just hope we aren’t shy pursuing the arms we need. Go after the best with real intentions of being the most attractive offer right away and have a good backup plan.
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 10-22-2019, 03:46 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 11,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I still can’t give up on Rodon and hope this surgery is finally what makes him a healthy pitcher going forward, as it has for quite a few. He was looking nasty just before this injury and had some good, but unsteady, levels of success with some great games sprinkled in. His health was the only thing holding him back, that’s simple fact, and hopefully this “fixes” him.

Id go one step further. Rodon is the only pitcher in the organization that has shown he is a top of the rotation pitcher. I would buy low on him now, give him a 3 year deal with a club option, boreass may actually jump at it considering his tendency for injury. If it doesnt work out, the money wont hurt the club at all, if it works out he could be the front line pitcher needed.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:04 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 7,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Id go one step further. Rodon is the only pitcher in the organization that has shown he is a top of the rotation pitcher. I would buy low on him now, give him a 3 year deal with a club option, boreass may actually jump at it considering his tendency for injury. If it doesnt work out, the money wont hurt the club at all, if it works out he could be the front line pitcher needed.
Hmmm. I like Rodon a lot too, but he's never come close to having a season like the one Giolito just had.
__________________

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:13 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Hmmm. I like Rodon a lot too, but he's never come close to having a season like the one Giolito just had.
Going purely on healthy stuff, he’s electric. He has ace stuff, for certain.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 10-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Camilo, carry-on Camilo, carry-on is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 93
Default

I appear to be alone, or at least in the minority regarding Rodon. In 90 ML starts Rodon has a 4.08 ERA. To me that's probably a number three on a .500 club and a number four on a pennant contending club.

Also, his cumulative WHIP is 1.38, that's actually pretty bad.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 PM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 9,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Going purely on healthy stuff, he’s electric. He has ace stuff, for certain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I appear to be alone, or at least in the minority regarding Rodon. In 90 ML starts Rodon has a 4.08 ERA. To me that's probably a number three on a .500 club and a number four on a pennant contending club.

Also, his cumulative WHIP is 1.38, that's actually pretty bad.
The statements above are not mutually exclusive.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Huisj Huisj is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 3,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I appear to be alone, or at least in the minority regarding Rodon. In 90 ML starts Rodon has a 4.08 ERA. To me that's probably a number three on a .500 club and a number four on a pennant contending club.

Also, his cumulative WHIP is 1.38, that's actually pretty bad.
You’re not alone. Even in the brief stretches where he’s very good, he’s always looked to me like he was a few bad pitches away from losing his release point and losing all of his command. He always has seemed stiff and rarely looks free and easy. Even when he’s on, it looks like he’s laboring.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.