GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2019, 05:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Are we watching the same player? His bat will be fine once he gets comfortable.
Yes; we're watching the same player. He absolutely has no place in the field and he needs to get comfortable at bat. EJ has to stay healthy and the White Sox have to get him ABs. I am still optimistic about his offensive abilities. So by all means make him comfortable.

The question is whether he can become comfortable by being a full-time DH as opposed to participating in the offensive and defensive part of the game.

Again, the White Sox misjudged this particular situation.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Yes; we're watching the same player. He absolutely has no place in the field and he needs to get comfortable at bat. EJ has to stay healthy and the White Sox have to get him ABs. I am still optimistic about his offensive abilities. So by all means make him comfortable.

The question is whether he can become comfortable by being a full-time DH as opposed to participating in the offensive and defensive part of the game.

How so?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 04-28-2019, 10:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I don’t think they “misjudged” anything. I think they knew what the situation was and made a conscious decision to trivialize it in their own plans.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:51 AM
WSI Personality

His current position will be the IL for at least the next 8 days. 10 day stint retroactive to Friday.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeportcopper View Post
His current position will be the IL for at least the next 8 days. 10 day stint retroactive to Friday.
As expected and a good decision both for the ankle and his mental well being. I got the impression he was really emotional coming back from his bereavement leave. He even asked for the baseball after his first at bat led to a single. Let him heal and get his head right. He's still such a kid at 22.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-28-2019, 11:26 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

The more I think, I wish the Sox would tell him to play the "statue" in left.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
How so?
They said he was kept down to round out his game. The noise about service time appeared. The WS missed on Machado. Most fans went apoplectic.

The WS FO need to quiet animal spirits. They signed EJ to a surprise deal.

I believe they misread the need to sign EJ right away. They misread EJ's defensive abilities. Or, ignored them (see Mohoney above).
Old 04-29-2019, 05:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

The very first time that i saw him in the field, i thought that he just seemed terribly uncoordinated and didn't seem to have very good baseball smarts . i thought that it was perhaps just jitters, but it hasn't changed at all . i suppose that he must have absolutely incredible hand-eye coordination to have impressed so many people at the plate over the last few years . Jimenez needs a mentor . the White Sox were always signing these once great, now over the hill guys . if Jimenez is really going to be the great offensive player that everyone thinks he will be, then find someone older, who was all about defense in the outfield, and that he can learn from and hang with . he is so very young and emotional.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

You guys realize that young players can get better at things right? I feel we have this same argument again and again. Garland sucks, Moncada is a bust, Trade Crede he can't hit.

Jimenez is terrible in the of ...now. He may very well be destined for DH. But geez its not that hard to be serviceable in the outfield with some practice. Carlos Lee was horrible too when he first was put in the outfield. He worked hard and was at least an adequate outfielder for us. Players are not destined to be what we see in their rookie year.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by zisk77 View Post
you guys realize that young players can get better at things right? I feel we have this same argument again and again. Garland sucks, moncada is a bust, trade crede he can't hit.

Jimenez is terrible in the of ...now. He may very well be destined for dh. But geez its not that hard to be serviceable in the outfield with some practice. Carlos lee was horrible too when he first was put in the outfield. He worked hard and was at least an adequate outfielder for us. Players are not destined to be what we see in their rookie year.
+1

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
You guys realize that young players can get better at things right? I feel we have this same argument again and again. Garland sucks, Moncada is a bust, Trade Crede he can't hit.

Jimenez is terrible in the of ...now. He may very well be destined for DH. But geez its not that hard to be serviceable in the outfield with some practice. Carlos Lee was horrible too when he first was put in the outfield. He worked hard and was at least an adequate outfielder for us. Players are not destined to be what we see in their rookie year.
Exactly- his MLB career is currently measured in weeks- and based on the maturity of his hitting skills, I do not agree with that he should have stayed at AAA due to his defense.

I don't see 1st base as an option at all- especially considering he would be learning a new position at the major league level- I see him as a LF/DH for the first few years of his career, then moving to being almost exclusively a DH after that. Which is fine with me based on our volume of outfield prospects as well as the internal options that could emerge for 1st base (Collins, Burger, Sheets, re-signing Abreu)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Jimenez is terrible in the of ...now. He may very well be destined for DH. But geez its not that hard to be serviceable in the outfield with some practice.
First off no one said the kid is a bust.

The question is what he was doing down on the farm. Why was he not learning how to play the OF, to the best of his ability, down there?

To have him learn how to play OF at the major league level introduces all sorts of risks to the player and his teammates.

To believe learning how to play the OF is acceptable at the major league level is wrong.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 AM
WSI Prelate

I would not call Carlos Lee’s outfield play “adequate.” Even if Eloy improves to Carlos Lee’s level of outfield play, I still want him installed as the DH as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

For the future, we need Robert to make it (looking good so far) and two of Rutherford/Basabe/Adolfo/Gonzalez/Walker/“mystery candidate” to make it. None of the guys currently in the major league outfield are starting-caliber players, and I really hope the team doesn’t inexplicably fall in love with one or more of them, as they have done many times before.

Meanwhile, Hahn should be working the phones something fierce trying to trade Abreu, Alonso, or both at the deadline. If Eloy does have any difficulties transitioning to DH and not being able to play the field, it’s best to get those worked out as soon as possible.

The last thing we need is a repeat of the Magglio situation in 2004. Like many others in the thread have correctly pointed out, it’s not just about Eloy getting hurt; Moncada, Anderson, or whoever is in CF are also at risk.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
First off no one said the kid is a bust.

The question is what he was doing down on the farm. Why was he not learning how to play the OF, to the best of his ability, down there?

To have him learn how to play OF at the major league level introduces all sorts of risks to the player and his teammates.

To believe learning how to play the OF is acceptable at the major league level is wrong.
I think it's more likely that Jimenez is just a very mediocre defensive player vs. this being "negligence" on the part of the White Sox.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think it's more likely that Jimenez is just a very mediocre defensive player vs. this being "negligence" on the part of the White Sox.
Thank you.

When Eloy was acquired in 2017, people on this board were talking about his defense being subpar, possibly even unacceptable. Lots of people still seem shocked by how bad his defense is. Yes, the “hold him in AAA to work on his defense” was a service-time thing, but the only reason they could even say that with a straight face is that Eloy’s defense is horrid.