White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 AM
WSI Personality

Default SI Article on Twins Starting Pitching

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/05/13/mi...ll-predictions

Interesting read in how a change in coaching staff plus increased emphasis on analytics have helped the Twins get off to their hot start.

“It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd
Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/05/13/mi...ll-predictions

Interesting read in how a change in coaching staff plus increased emphasis on analytics have helped the Twins get off to their hot start.

Yeah, amazing what pitching coaches can do. To think, a team staff with below the MLB average in velocity.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-14-2019, 01:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Yeah, amazing what pitching coaches can do. To think, a team staff with below the MLB average in velocity.
The pitching coaches are getting too much credit. Basically, Twins starters are throwing more strikes and aren't pitching from behind in the count as often. The pitching coaches haven't changed the way they pitch or increased their velocity.

Twins starting pitchers are pitching more confidently. I don't know if they will continue to pitch with confidence when hitters start attacking them earlier in the count instead of trying to work them for walks.

We're only in the middle of May. For fun, dig into the archives of the Chicago Tribune and read read what was being written about the White Sox pitching staff under the new Paul Richards regime about 30-35 games into the 1976 season, and keep in mind how that season's pitching worked out. That staff didn't even have the Sports Illustrated curse working against them.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Remember April 2017, when Derek Holland, Miguel Gonzalez, and James Shields all were in the top 10 in the AL in ERA?

Let’s see how Martin Perez and Jake Odorizzi are doing two months from now.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The pitching coaches are getting too much credit. Basically, Twins starters are throwing more strikes and aren't pitching from behind in the count as often. The pitching coaches haven't changed the way they pitch or increased their velocity.
Velocity doesn't matter if you do not have control.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Velocity doesn't matter if you do not have control.

That has nothing to do with what I wrote.