Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2019, 12:01 AM
WSI Personality

Default *Official* 5/1/19 DH Split and series win Postgamer

Sox drop the first game 5-4 and take the nightcap 7-6.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:05 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Should have won the first one and lost the second one, baseball is a funny game. I'll take the series win after an UGLY day of baseball...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-02-2019, 12:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Moncada and Tim cooling off quite a bit, though Tim had two hits in the second game.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-02-2019, 12:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Kluber's injury is a game changer here for the AL Central.

If the Sox even want to pretend to give this a run, can't continue to **** around with Batting Tee Nova out there

Cut your loses now, I don't care. Next man up.

Same goes for Delmonico and Sanchez, keep turning this roster over.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:16 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

If the Sox even want to pretend to give this a run, can't continue to **** around with Batting Tee Nova out there

Get your logical thinking out of this thread.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

The only SP at Charlotte with an ERA under 8 is Cease. Even if you're okay with rushing your top prospect (who has never pitched more than 124 innings in a season before) to the majors, that still leaves absolutely no depth in the event of an injury. I guess there's Covey, but he's not stretched out.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
The only SP at Charlotte with an ERA under 8 is Cease. Even if you're okay with rushing your top prospect (who has never pitched more than 124 innings in a season before) to the majors, that still leaves absolutely no depth in the event of an injury. I guess there's Covey, but he's not stretched out.
As many experts have pointed out, there is no point in your best pitching prospects to be wasting bullets in the minors vs the majors.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I do not see any legitimate run materializing when this team does not have a single starting pitcher who can be relied upon to deliver consistent excellence.

Look no further than todayís early game. Carlos Rodon and Carson Fulmer were supposed to be dependable rotation stalwarts by now. Instead, Rodon has failed to go 6 innings in 4 of his 7 starts (and failed to go 5 innings in 3 of them), and Fulmerís career is on life support as a reliever with a WHIP hovering around 2.000 on the season.

Iím just glad that Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada look like the dynamic baseball players we hoped they would become. A full season of high-quality play from those guys would mean more than anything else that could happen this season, with an Eloy breakout hopefully being added to that mix sometime soon.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:53 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Which speaks LOADS about the overall pitching talent in the organization doesn't it? I can understand why some folks are clamoring for the Sox to take as many pitchers as possible this June (since they won't be spending the big money needed to pick up one of the few good free agent pitchers next off-season...)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I do not see any legitimate run materializing when this team does not have a single starting pitcher who can be relied upon to deliver consistent excellence.

Look no further than todayís early game. Carlos Rodon and Carson Fulmer were supposed to be dependable rotation stalwarts by now. Instead, Rodon has failed to go 6 innings in 4 of his 7 starts (and failed to go 5 innings in 3 of them), and Fulmerís career is on life support as a reliever with a WHIP hovering around 2.000 on the season.

Iím just glad that Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada look like the dynamic baseball players we hoped they would become. A full season of high-quality play from those guys would mean more than anything else that could happen this season, with an Eloy breakout hopefully being added to that mix sometime soon.
I don't disagree, but fact is even with all those deficiencies they are 2 games under and a Division which can probably be taken with 85-86 wins.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
As many experts have pointed out, there is no point in your best pitching prospects to be wasting bullets in the minors vs the majors.
Thatís fine in theory, but Iím sure there is an innings limit in place for Cease this season. In the highly unlikely event of a playoff push, wouldnít it be a kick in the grapes to see Cease shut down during the middle of it after he reaches his innings limit? Remember when that happened with Stephen Strasburg a few years ago?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:57 AM
WSI Guru

Just some random thoughts on the DH:

* The first game was the third game this year the Sox had a lead in the 7th inning or later and lost.

* The second game was the fourth game this year the Sox trailed in the 7th inning or later and won.

* Ivan Nova is finished, another notch in the "Rick Hahn Haters" belt.

* Tim Anderson now with eight errors in the first 28 games.

* Sox made four more errors in the DH and screwed up a safety squeeze situation. Fundamentals folks...it's not that hard.

Considering everything, it was nice to get a split.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:00 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Ya think Rick can trade them Nova!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Delmonico and even Eaton, actually made some important contributions in Game 2. Scoring from first on a two-out single isn't something many teams would have allowed, but Delmonico beat the defense with some pressure and came up defensively with a throw when the Orioles were pressuring the Sox defense. And Eaton played a big role in three rallies (if you can call the peculiar run in the second a rally). As it turned out, Engel scored the winning run.

Even Alonso, who nobody here seems to like, came up with the two-out hit that won the damn game.

I wasn't as disappointed in Nova as I was with Rodon in the first game. It's a little sobering that as well as Rodon has pitched at times this year, he left today with an ERA over 5. Still, I'm not sure how the Sox lost the first game.

Ugly baseball, for sure, featuring two bad teams. Nine errors on the day. Almost half the outs the Sox made today came on strikeouts, but one two-out strikeout set up a big early run. Was Abreu caught attempting to steal home in a one-run loss? I missed that and only see it noted in the game reports. Maybe Anderson is out of the little funk he has been in since Friday's big home run, but his two errors in Game 2 gifted the Orioles with what nearly stood as the game's deciding run.

There are a lot of things I hate about this team, and I don't see enough consistently good baseball to be optimistic about the next few seasons. But maybe things will look better when the Sox hit a soft stretch in their schedule.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Yonder lies the castle... At the very least he got Tim off the hook for some horrible fielding technique in game 2. Tim did get a couple hits. That and the win will let me get some sleep tonight. On that topic, Tim did give back two runs with an error later in a game where he flipped his bat and no one mentioned it on this board. He just dropped the bat and ran to first on his last HR. Save those flips for when it counts, kid. His fielding keeps getting better, why not, he's an athlete learning the SS position. He'll get there.

Dreaming aside, lets enjoy the season without expecting too much. It's not a revelation to say the pitching is dangerous at best and terrible at worst.

Last edited by slavko; 05-02-2019 at 04:08 AM.