Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2019, 09:41 PM
WSI Guru

Default *Official* 5/8/19 Sox Lose in the 9th Postgamer

Everyone afraid to start a postgamer after a loss now?

I didn't see a second of the game...had youth baseball tonight.

Looks like Herrera gave up a homer to Ramirez in the 9th. Crap happens. Get 'em tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Looks like Herrera gave up a homer to Ramirez in the 9th. Crap happens. Get 'em tomorrow.
An afternoon game.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Played for a tie in the 8th and got it. Bad baseball by today's standards or justified because Yolmer was the one called on to bunt 'em over? Don't ask me, I just post here.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Played for a tie in the 8th and got it. Bad baseball by today's standards or justified because Yolmer was the one called on to bunt 'em over? Don't ask me, I just post here.

I wouldn't have sacrificed down by two in the seventh, but it worked as well as could have been hoped, short of Sanchez himself reaching on a multi-base throwing error. The Sox not only put the tying runs in scoring position for the ninth-place hitter, they got the hit to drive them home with Cordell advancing to second, putting the go-ahead run in scoring position for the top of the order with one out. But as of this writing, the Sox haven't scored since.

Managers always go to the bunt more than fans would like. Even managers who say they hate bunting end up bunting. I don't always get the feeling from Renteria, but managers scrambling to do what they can to win, and when push comes to shove, they go to the bunt. And in weighing the Sox chances after the first two hitters reached in the seventh, I can see how it made some sense against the probability of Sanchez striking out or hitting into a double play. The Sox leaving Cordell at second, though, seemed to seal their fate.

I was actually confident coming into this game, not just because the Sox had played well this week in Cleveland, but because I am not impressed with the Indians. When it became a bullpen game, though, however winnable the evening seemed, the battle felt uphill.

The starting pitching wasn't quite good enough to squander what little opportunity the Sox had tonight.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Herrera kinda looked like his back was still bothering him.

Otherwise, this game had several positives from the other pitchers. Lopez was missing his spots by wide margins, yet he gutted it out and kept the team in the ballgame. This is the second time I have seen him do that this year; the first was against the Tigers on Easter Sunday. Anyone who still can give you a decent 6 innings despite not having adequate command is a keeper in my book. As for Bummer and Fry, hereís hoping that they each turn in a full seasonís worth of quality LH relief, because they certainly look good right now.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Iím not a fan of the bunt, but it was a good call with Yolmer in that situation. Itís 2 advances instead of 1, so while the overall number of expected runs goes from 1.437 down to 1.376, the probability of plating at least 1 run in the inning goes from .610 up to .676.

Youíre also calling for the bunt with a guy who is an above-average bunter (69.2% career success rate vs. a league average of 63.8%) and a below-average hitter (80 career OPS+, 78 career wRC+). He also has never looked worse at the plate than he looks this year. His ISO is 86 points lower than his career mark (.036 to .122), which means he poses virtually no threat to get the extra-base hit to drive those runners in by himself.

Securing those 2 advancements and setting things up for a guy who is a .025/.035/.200 upgrade is what a player in Yolmerís situation should be asked to do. It puts him, and Cordell behind him, in the best possible position to succeed.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Global percentages aren't really that relevant. The fact is, advancing runners from first and second on a sacrifice is a more difficult proposition for a hitter. The bunt has to be executed more precisely than bunting a single runner to second or third because there is a force at third as well as second. There is so much that can go wrong. It's not unusual to see missed bunts end up in runners being picked off, and Alexei Ramirez (who never bunted before coming to the White Sox but finished his career with 36 sacrifice bunts, 19 bunt singles, most of which were undoubtedly intended as sacrifices stacked up against 23 failed sacrifice attempts resulting in outs) one day in Cleveland popped up a bunt into a triple play -- there being no infield fly with bunts.

You just don't see two runners being bunted over successfully very often, especially by a road team down by two runs after the sixth inning. It was a very good bunt and ended up keeping the Sox in the game. Because it worked, it was a very good managerial call. You don't win ultimately by playing percentages, but by making things work even when the percentages are against you.

The percentages didn't work out in the end. The chances of Cordell scoring from second should have been better than the chances of Anderson scoring, although Cleveland bringing in Perez to neutralize Moncada was a factor. Obviously, tying the game in the seventh wasn't enough.

I was dining with my wife at In-N-Out when I saw the ninth inning Indian run show up on my phone. But the Double-Double was satisfying.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM
WSI High Priest

The two teams combined for 21 hits -- 19 of them singles. I'm prepared to take back all the bad things I've said about Aaron Bummer. Not quite sure how he gained 3-4 mph on his fastball this season, but he's pitched great so far.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The two teams combined for 21 hits -- 19 of them singles. I'm prepared to take back all the bad things I've said about Aaron Bummer. Not quite sure how he gained 3-4 mph on his fastball this season, but he's pitched great so far.
The wind was blowing in. A couple of balls hit on both sides would normally have been home runs.

It's hard to watch games like this and see "improvement" or "promising signs" versus just two bad teams playing. Even the players who have been historically good, or at least short-term good, seem to be scuffling right now. In some ways, this game seemed the converse of the previous game since Cleveland squandered opportunities to be up by more than 2 runs but still ended up winning the game. I guess that's why the MLB season is a marathon and you can't take too much in either direction from a single game.

Ultimately, maybe it was the wind that had the biggest impact on the game. Still, 1 of those 19 singles helped the Sox actually score runs which is more than can be said about the 42 combined strikeouts between Tampa and Arizona yesterday, albeit in 13 innings.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Moncada and Anderson both 1-for-4. Not outstanding but not awful. Things could certainly be worse for the rebuild.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-09-2019, 09:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I wouldn't have sacrificed down by two in the seventh, but it worked as well as could have been hoped, short of Sanchez himself reaching on a multi-base throwing error...
I was glad to see them play it that way. The sacrifice is easier to execute than a hit is, and Yolmer's .224 average didn't have me feeling like he was about to hit his first dinger of the year.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
I was glad to see them play it that way. The sacrifice is easier to execute than a hit is, and Yolmer's .224 average didn't have me feeling like he was about to hit his first dinger of the year.
I agree especially with Cordell and then the top of the order coming up and it did pay off.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The extra oomph on his fastball is pretty surprising. Not sure if he can maintain it for the entire season, but if he can he should stick on the roster.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-09-2019, 12:18 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Iím not a fan of the bunt, but it was a good call with Yolmer in that situation. Itís 2 advances instead of 1, so while the overall number of expected runs goes from 1.437 down to 1.376, the probability of plating at least 1 run in the inning goes from .610 up to .676.

Youíre also calling for the bunt with a guy who is an above-average bunter (69.2% career success rate vs. a league average of 63.8%) and a below-average hitter (80 career OPS+, 78 career wRC+). He also has never looked worse at the plate than he looks this year. His ISO is 86 points lower than his career mark (.036 to .122), which means he poses virtually no threat to get the extra-base hit to drive those runners in by himself.

Securing those 2 advancements and setting things up for a guy who is a .025/.035/.200 upgrade is what a player in Yolmerís situation should be asked to do. It puts him, and Cordell behind him, in the best possible position to succeed.
I got into a discussion about this on Twitter last night, I get the numbers when it comes to bunting, I really do, but I HATE the idea of "Well the numbers say you should never bunt," (which I know is not what you're advocating here).

I think it really all depends on match ups. If a manager has more confidence in the ability of his next two hitters to get a hit based on the matchups and you're confident in the ability of the hitter at the plate to get down a bunt, I think it makes sense to bunt.

I don't think that you should automatically bunt in those type of scenarios and I think there are some guys who clearly can't get a bunt down, so you shouldn't be asking them to do it.

I get that the game has changed, but I still think there's a role for bunting and other small ball things in today's game.

Go Sox!!!