White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Strained a muscle probably.
Sounds like it's a stomach bug.

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/06/0...s-june-6-2019/
Old 06-07-2019, 11:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Kopech and Cease are right behind Robert at #19 and #21. Madrigal (#43) is the only other guy in the top 100. Vaughn should join them after he signs.

While only having 5 of the top 100 is less than we've been accustomed to the past couple years, it's still better than "average", and you can't forget about all the young talent on the major league team as well. I wonder where the Sox would rank on a list of the "top talent age 26 and under" or something like that, I imagine it would be right near the top.
Yes, we have fewer players in the top 100 now, but we've also had players like Moncada, Eloy, and Giolito "graduate" from prospect status to the majors.

I believe Dunning was a Top 100 prospect last year, but of course his status took a hit when he got sidelined with Tommy John surgery.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=cws

Collins is all the way down at #11, behind all the Birmingham outfielders. I imagine this is due to the uncertainty about his future position and defensive ability.
This is also a prove it season for Collins. He has been so completely disappointing since we drafted him, to a lot of the evaluators, they are going to need to see a full year of this and show it isn't just one of his hot streaks where he then goes on a 2 month .600 OPS run.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=cws

Collins is all the way down at #11, behind all the Birmingham outfielders. I imagine this is due to the uncertainty about his future position and defensive ability.
MLB Pipeline updates their overall Top 100 list, and individual team Top 30 lists, after the draftees are incorporated, typically during the minor league all star breaks. So it will be a few more weeks.

So Iíd expect Collins to leapfrog some of those AA OFs.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Birmingham and W-S rained out tonight.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Another thought on MLB Pipelineís Top 100...

In their Top 200 draft list, Vaughn is #3, with a 60 hit tool, a 60 power tool, and a 60 overall score. This should put him atop the list of Top 10 1B (since Ryan Mountcastle is graded at 55 overall). This should also put Vaughn somewhere in or near the Top 20 prospects, since:

There are currently 20 prospects with 60 or greater overall scores;

Only four draftees had overall scores of 60 or greater (Rutschman, Witt, Vaughn, and Abrams).

There are likely to be a few more graduations from the Top 20 over the next few weeks.

In other words, unless other prospects not currently in the Top 20, get their overall scores upgraded to 60 or higher, we should expect the Sox to continue to be well represented in/near the Top 20, with Robert, Kopech, Cease, and Vaughn.

Also, donít be surprised if Dunning falls out of the Top 100. Thereís often a lot of movement in that part of the rankings and itís easy for breakout performers to bypass those who are injured.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Another thought on MLB Pipeline’s Top 100...

In their Top 200 draft list, Vaughn is #3, with a 60 hit tool, a 60 power tool, and a 60 overall score. This should put him atop the list of Top 10 1B (since Ryan Mountcastle is graded at 55 overall). This should also put Vaughn somewhere in or near the Top 20 prospects, since:

There are currently 20 prospects with 60 or greater overall scores;

Only four draftees had overall scores of 60 or greater (Rutschman, Witt, Vaughn, and Abrams).

There are likely to be a few more graduations from the Top 20 over the next few weeks.

In other words, unless other prospects not currently in the Top 20, get their overall scores upgraded to 60 or higher, we should expect the Sox to continue to be well represented in/near the Top 20, with Robert, Kopech, Cease, and Vaughn.

Also, don’t be surprised if Dunning falls out of the Top 100. There’s often a lot of movement in that part of the rankings and it’s easy for breakout performers to bypass those who are injured.
...and of course, players that drop out of the Top 100 could still go on to be successful MLB players. I'm still cautiously optimistic that one-time Top 100 prospect Rutherford will start displaying power and become part of our starting OF someday. Dunning could still go on to be a solid back of the rotation starter for us in a couple of years. Burger? Who knows with that guy. We'll see after he returns...which is hopefully any day now. These guys are less of a sure thing than the Kopechs and Eloys on our list, but it's not crazy to think they might succeed either.

At any rate, I'm still psyched at having a core of Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, Madrigal, Vaughn, and Robert as potentially 6 of the starters in our lineup in the near future. Those are all potential high-impact guys right there. That's before you even get to the Rutherfords and Collins and Basabes of the system.

I'm also psyched to have Giolito, Kopech, and Cease as our top 3 starters by next season even while I realize that lots of question marks pop up after those guys.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 06-08-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
...and of course, players that drop out of the Top 100 could still go on to be successful MLB players. I'm still cautiously optimistic that one-time Top 100 prospect Rutherford will start displaying power and become part of our starting OF someday. Dunning could still go on to be a solid back of the rotation starter for us in a couple of years. Burger? Who knows with that guy. We'll see after he returns...which is hopefully any day now. These guys are less of a sure thing than the Kopechs and Eloys on our list, but it's not crazy to think they might success either.

At any rate, I'm still psyched at having a core of Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, Madrigal, Vaughn, and Robert as potentially 6 of the starters in our lineup in the near future. Those are all potential high-impact guys right there. That's before you even get to the Rutherfords and Collins and Basabes of the system.

I'm also psyched to have Giolito, Kopech, and Cease as our top 3 starters by next season even while I realize that lots of question marks pop up after those guys.
All great points, and I agree with everything.

Iím not even concerned if Rutherford (and the other OFs) shows no HR power in Birmingham. On the other hand, lack of HRs in Charlotte would be concerning.

But overall, yes, I think thereís a very good chance that a very good 1-9, and four or five starting pitchers, could eventually be fielded with what we have between Birmingham, Charlotte, and the big league club.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:15 PM
WSI Prelate

More rain outs for the farm system today. W-S postponed again and Kannapolis suspended play in the 2nd inning. It sure seems like they've gotten a ton of rain outs this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
All great points, and I agree with everything.

Iím not even concerned if Rutherford (and the other OFs) shows no HR power in Birmingham. On the other hand, lack of HRs in Charlotte would be concerning.

But overall, yes, I think thereís a very good chance that a very good 1-9, and four or five starting pitchers, could eventually be fielded with what we have between Birmingham, Charlotte, and the big league club.
They might have to go out and get a catcher. I'm not sold on whether Collins will succeed as a MLB catcher. That's not saying he can't succeed. LH power bat with great eye at the plate - he does have some promising qualities.

If the Sox can fill out most of their lineup internally and then say go out and get a quality corner OF and mid-rotation starter via FA, that would be great. If they can't or won't pony up the money needed for a couple of FAs like that (we're not talking about a Machado or a Scherzer-type astronomical payout), then we're all probably just wasting our time anyway.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
More rain outs for the farm system today. W-S postponed again and Kannapolis suspended play in the 2nd inning. It sure seems like they've gotten a ton of rain outs this year.
Birmingham is currently delayed for the start of their makeup DH also.

Edit and now postponed entirely.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 06-08-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Birmingham is currently delayed for the start of their makeup DH also.

Edit and now postponed entirely.

No, I'm not calling you a dark cloud. I'm saying this must be what the ballparks have looked like for our farm teams this year.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:56 AM

And WS has already cancelled the DH today.

Birmingham is going to give it a go later and Charlotte will attempt to finish yesterday's suspended game and play the regularly scheduled one.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:11 PM
WSI Personality

After Madrigal going 3-4 in his Barons debut, seeing PPD when I check the box scores is a bummer.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
After Madrigal going 3-4 in his Barons debut, seeing PPD when I check the box scores is a bummer.
Honestly if the Birmingham pitching comes through that's going to be a great team the rest of the way, especially if Sheets and Gonzalez start consistently hitting which Sheets appears to be already starting to do.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:00 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Honestly if the Birmingham pitching comes through that's going to be a great team the rest of the way, especially if Sheets and Gonzalez start consistently hitting which Sheets appears to be already starting to do.
Are the hitters finally making the adjustment, or is it regression to the mean?

In Game 1 today, Rutherford went 3-3 to get his average up to .228. He was stuck around .170 for a long long time, but he's been having multi-hit games lately.

Gonzalez got over .200 weeks ago but has stalled at .227.

Rivera is quietly up to .242.

Forbes is at .250 after going 2-2 with a walk today.

Sheets is at .251 and is finally hitting some homers.

Madrigal had 3 more hits in his second (?) game at AA. OPS is 1.625.
Closed Thread