GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2019, 10:30 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that the Sox sign Cole. The Sox are known to not like long deals for pitchers and Cole is a Boras client on top of that. Further, Sox management must be salivating at the idea that in 2020 they could have a 5-man rotation made up entirely of cost controlled pieces (between Rodon, Gilito, Kopech, Lopez, Cease) and I think they'll roll the dice and stick with those guys, plus maybe a Nova-like FA signing or two off the trash heap.

The Sox need to sign a power-hitting 1B. I think the consensus is that this will be Jose Abreu.

The Sox need to sign a power-hitting outfielder. I like Yasiel Puig or Marcel Ozuna. Some people like this Castellanos fellow currently on the north side. I'll take any of them.
I agree Cole is unlikely, but the team has SO much money available and I think they will be willing to make a splash this offseason. I think the team knows that the odds of all 5 pitchers you mentioned succeeding is lower than the odds that 3-4 of them will succeed, especially with the injury concerns for Rodon (and Kopech to a lesser extent). I expect one big SP acquisition and one Nova-like addition (perhaps Nova himself).
Old 09-03-2019, 10:58 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
They pay him, he plays where they tell him to. If he doesn't like it he ought to play a better shortstop.

Edit: I always thought it was crazy that the Yankees kept Jeter at short after signing A-Rod. But Anderson is no Jeter.

Actually on this rag tag club, anderson is jeter.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I agree Cole is unlikely, but the team has SO much money available and I think they will be willing to make a splash this offseason. I think the team knows that the odds of all 5 pitchers you mentioned succeeding is lower than the odds that 3-4 of them will succeed, especially with the injury concerns for Rodon (and Kopech to a lesser extent). I expect one big SP acquisition and one Nova-like addition (perhaps Nova himself).
I definitely expect the team to sign a Nova-like pitcher, perhaps even two. I do not think it will be Nova himself, as I think he has priced himself out of the Sox range with his second half performance.

I do not think Cole or Baumgartner will happen and I would frankly be disappointed if the Sox spent big money on a SP below those two. If they do acquire a good SP for the front end of the rotation, it will be via trade IMO.

I agree that the odds of all 5 pitchers I mentioned succeeding are low, but my argument is that not they will succeed but rather that Sox management will choose to roll the dice on them all succeeding in lieu of attempting to acquire a top SP agent.

I do not think the FA class this year is all that good, so apart from filling the obvious holes at 1B/RF I would like the Sox to stay out of it and focus on next year. It would be a mistake to offer big money to the mediocre players hitting free agency this year. The 2022 and 2023 Sox will need to spend on FA acquisitions and we don't want to screw them.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-03-2019, 02:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I definitely expect the team to sign a Nova-like pitcher, perhaps even two. I do not think it will be Nova himself, as I think he has priced himself out of the Sox range with his second half performance.

I do not think Cole or Baumgartner will happen and I would frankly be disappointed if the Sox spent big money on a SP below those two. If they do acquire a good SP for the front end of the rotation, it will be via trade IMO.

I agree that the odds of all 5 pitchers I mentioned succeeding are low, but my argument is that not they will succeed but rather that Sox management will choose to roll the dice on them all succeeding in lieu of attempting to acquire a top SP agent.

I do not think the FA class this year is all that good, so apart from filling the obvious holes at 1B/RF I would like the Sox to stay out of it and focus on next year. It would be a mistake to offer big money to the mediocre players hitting free agency this year. The 2022 and 2023 Sox will need to spend on FA acquisitions and we don't want to screw them.
There is plenty of space in the payroll moving forward to make a splash for 2020 and still have money available for 2022-3. The Sox have less than $24M committed to next year's payroll right now. That figure will go up to maybe $40M after arbitration, but they could still add a $30M pitcher, Abreu for $17M, and a $20M right-fielder giving them a payroll of $110M which would be in the lower third of MLB.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/2020/

I'm not saying all of the above will happen, but I do think that the front office is going to be feeling some pressure to spend some money this offseason, so I would be pretty shocked if they didn't come away with at least one top-of-the-rotation SP. Last year with the Machado fiasco, there was a bit of a safety net in that everyone knew this team wasn't really ready to compete, so I could see how they were only willing to do a deal if it ended up being a bargain. But this year it's more clear what the holes are in the rebuild and where FA help is going to have to come from, and the payroll is almost completely cleared out. If the money isn't spent, fans are going to riot.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Hopefully, fans are savvy enough to know that the scenarios, from best to worst, are the following:

1. Sox sign Cole or Baumgardner
2. Sox do nothing
3. Sox sign a bunch of older, mediocre free agents

I don't think #1 is going to happen because of the way the team is run, I am hoping for #2, I fear #3. I hope that lessons have been learned from LaRoche, Dunn, Cabrera, etc.

Last edited by HomeFish; 09-03-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Hopefully, fans are savvy enough to know that the scenarios, from best to worst, are the following:

2. Sox do nothing

I don't think #1 is going to happen because of the way the team is run, I am hoping for #2, I fear #3.
Bumgarner won't go to an AL team, and Cole won't go to a team that won't grossly overpay him because the bidding is likely to get so ridiuclously high and the team that gets him could end up with a Barry Zito with a longer contract.

If the mediocre free agents are of the Jermaine Dye and A.J. Pierzynski variety, the third option wouldn't be so bad.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They should give him September at DH to see what they have. His trade value as is is extremely low: 27, rule 5. GMs don't trade for players like that....well, most GMs don't. Trading him is trading potential upside for very little value.

But a bad team could do that. And should do that. No way should they leave Rutherford unprotected.

And signing Nova would be so White Sox...an aging, declining marginal 5th starter and pay him 50% more than his market value.

Yep, I believe a few years ago the Padres picked up some guys in the Rule 5 draft who were perhaps in High A and were clearly not ready for the majors. But, they managed to stick them on their major league roster all season and kept them. No way should the Sox roll the dice on something like that happening to Rutherford.

Quote:
Agreed on Rutherford, if they leave him unprotected he'll get picked up, I don't think there's any chance the Sox let that happen. But could you really imagine a team trying to put Hansen on their MLB roster all season? He's a mess right now at AA, he has major control issues and basically taking a season off to serve up batting practice in blowouts is not going to help him iron those issues out.

If the Sox make one big SP acquisition (let's say Bumgarner), I could see them also re-signing Nova as depth to cover innings until Kopech/Rodon are ready.

Agreed on Hansen. He's never going to work out his control issues being buried on someone's MLB roster just to make their Rule 5 claim stick.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
On thing working in favor of a big ticket SP signing: the cost structure is currently fairly locked in/controlled for the next 4-7 years. I believe only Moncada and Giolito will hit FA before then (and I saw a report that the Sox may try to extend them this offseason). Therefore even if you're eating $$$ on the back end of a 6-year pitcher contract, it's not killing your ability to compete because you still have everyone else relatively cost controlled.

Doesn't mean they do it, but the risk is different than in many past years when the team was not generally so young/cost controlled.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Actually on this rag tag club, anderson is jeter.
I like it.

Quote:

2. Sox do nothing

I don't think #1 is going to happen because of the way the team is run, I am hoping for #2, I fear #3. I hope that lessons have been learned from LaRoche, Dunn, Cabrera, etc.
I give Cabrera a break. He did what was expected of him, more or less, unlike the others. Anyway, he still has a job, so he's not total poo.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
I
I give Cabrera a break. He did what was expected of him, more or less, unlike the others. Anyway, he still has a job, so he's not total poo.
Heís been total poo for a long time, including in our uniform. The idea that signing 2 $15 million AAV players is better than signing 1 $30 million player is how we got into this mess in the first place. If youíre not buying high-end talent, donít bother buying the mid-grade junk.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yep, I believe a few years ago the Padres picked up some guys in the Rule 5 draft who were perhaps in High A and were clearly not ready for the majors. But, they managed to stick them on their major league roster all season and kept them. No way should the Sox roll the dice on something like that happening to Rutherford.
Heck the Sox did it 5 or 6 years ago with a catcher; forget his name, but he got a few ABs and he was back in the minors after the year. He didn't work out.

There are so many proven terrible players on this 40 man...there should be no one of note at risk. But there will be.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Heck the Sox did it 5 or 6 years ago with a catcher; forget his name, but he got a few ABs and he was back in the minors after the year. He didn't work out.

There are so many proven terrible players on this 40 man...there should be no one of note at risk. But there will be.
I hate to display my lack of knowledge, but how did we get Narvaez via Rule 5 and not have to keep him on the big club?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
I hate to display my lack of knowledge, but how did we get Narvaez via Rule 5 and not have to keep him on the big club?
My memory may be faulty, but I think the player claimed through the Rule 5 draft only needs to be kept on the major league roster for the entirety of the next season. After the conclusion of that season, he can be optioned to the minors. I think thatís how the Sox handled Narvaez.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Omar Narvaez was not a major league Rule 5 pick. He was a AAA Rule 5 draft pick.

Adrian Nieto was a major league Rule 5 pick. That may be the catcher everyone is remembering.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

Adrian Nieto was a major league Rule 5 pick. That may be the catcher everyone is remembering.
Yes, he's who I meant. The sox kept him up for a full year, then he was back in the minors.