GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2019, 07:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The funny thing is, Jimenez didn't even look ready tin spring training, which is odd because there are plenty of hitters who need 200 plate appearances to figure things out who have great springs. There are also players who don't, i.e. Yordan Alvarez or Fernando Tatis Jr. The rookie shortstop the Cubs were forced to bring up in September has looked pretty good out of the gate of his career, but I don't know if he will ever look as good again.

The fact is, Jimenez will have to prove that he is as good next year as he has been late this year. I'm certainly not going to criticize the team for holding him back last year, especially with the way he looked in spring training. He might even have benefited from some more time in AAA, but his contract extension took that possibility off the table.

There was nothing more for him in AAA. There wasn't anything actually in AAA, or AA upon promotion, that made him adjust his thinking or approach. I don't blame them for making him go through the motions, but he's been ready to learn at this level for a lot longer than he's been here.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
There was nothing more for him in AAA. There wasn't anything actually in AAA, or AA upon promotion, that made him adjust his thinking or approach. I don't blame them for making him go through the motions, but he's been ready to learn at this level for a lot longer than he's been here.

Spending more time defensively in minor league outfields wouldn't have hurt him. In Glendale, he looked like someone who could have learned more with more time in AAA.

Frank Thomas, of course, came up directly from AA, but he actually hit like a major leaguer when he got to the majors. That was a long time ago, but this year Yordan Alvarez started hitting when he got to the major. And I don't even know if Jimenez (same will Alvarez) will be hitting next April in May as he is hitting now. The idea that Jimenez was held back by not being brought up last September is no more compelling than the argument that the White Sox rushed him to get him to sign his extension.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Spending more time defensively in minor league outfields wouldn't have hurt him. In Glendale, he looked like someone who could have learned more with more time in AAA.

Frank Thomas, of course, came up directly from AA, but he actually hit like a major leaguer when he got to the majors. That was a long time ago, but this year Yordan Alvarez started hitting when he got to the major. And I don't even know if Jimenez (same will Alvarez) will be hitting next April in May as he is hitting now. The idea that Jimenez was held back by not being brought up last September is no more compelling than the argument that the White Sox rushed him to get him to sign his extension.

Alvarez is a different situation entirely, because he is a guy that was ready last year and blocked because the major league product was so good in Houston. He really only came up due to injury and earned his spot. He has had nothing to prove in AAA as long as Eloy has had. His swing and approach in AAA didn't need much to translate to the bigs...but that's generally rare and not something easy to predict. Most rookies struggle at first.

Ultimately, in the long run I don't think Alvarez will be as good as Eloy anyway. But if Alvarez continues to put up the ridiculous .182 OPS+ he has in his first 300 at bats, I'll eat that crow. Because I seriously doubt that's going to happen.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
This mirrors the point Jeff Passan continues to make about us and why he thinks we'll be in the 60-70 win territory next year too. We don't prepare our minor leaguers like other teams because we are overly concerned with arbitration. Look at the player Eloy is now. There is no doubt that if he was afforded the opportunity to cut his teeth in August/September last year that he'd be in the MVP conversation right now (instead of not even in the ROY conversation). It's the little things like that that have a huge impact on our season. Expect the same next year with Luis and Nick.
Development is not linear as it relates to prospects....

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 09-23-2019, 10:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Alvarez is a different situation entirely, because he is a guy that was ready last year and blocked because the major league product was so good in Houston. He really only came up due to injury and earned his spot. He has had nothing to prove in AAA as long as Eloy has had. His swing and approach in AAA didn't need much to translate to the bigs...but that's generally rare and not something easy to predict. Most rookies struggle at first.

Ultimately, in the long run I don't think Alvarez will be as good as Eloy anyway. But if Alvarez continues to put up the ridiculous .182 OPS+ he has in his first 300 at bats, I'll eat that crow. Because I seriously doubt that's going to happen.
Ultimately, I don't think there is any compelling evidence that Jimenez would be better this year if he had come up last year. Your belief that that the White Sox are poorly managing their prospects for financial advantage seems more about reverse engineering your analysis based upon your prejudices toward the organization.

It is certainly true that if this were 1970 when there was still a reserve clause, Jimenez would have been called up last September. But decisions influenced by service time are not necessarily rooted in attempting to cheat a player out of service time and often take player development into consideration. I can't dismiss the position that there are developmental reasons not to bring Robert up to the 2019 White Sox.

It's easy to criticize management decisions. I do it myself. And if we controlled a parallel universe, we could show that we were right or be proven wrong.