GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Default Rank your top 10 positive developments of 2019

Here's my list.

1) Moncada handles move to third like a champ, addresses holes in offensive game (strikeouts, batting from right side), has a better season than Machado

2) Giolito turns his career around, pitches like an ace for most of the season and becomes a leader of the pitching staff

3) Robert stays healthy, plays an excellent CF, is the most dangerous hitter (or close to it) in all of the minors and is ready for the show

4) Anderson masters hitting for contact, becomes emotional leader of team

5) McCann is one of the steals of the offseason, gives us the best catching season since AJ

6) Jimenez overcomes slow start, establishes himself as a future middle-of-the-order bat

7) Madrigal does the expected Madrigal things, reaches AAA, looks ready to be our starting 2B

8) Bummer matures into a high-leverage, multi-inning reliever

9) Cease reaches Chicago, flashes excellent stuff and an improving approach

10) Sox fill lower rungs of the organization with younger, more talented prospects than we've seen in a long time
Old 09-27-2019, 02:13 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Here's my list.

1) Moncada handles move to third like a champ, addresses holes in offensive game (strikeouts, batting from right side), has a better season than Machado

2) Giolito turns his career around, pitches like an ace for most of the season and becomes a leader of the pitching staff

3) Robert stays healthy, plays an excellent CF, is the most dangerous hitter (or close to it) in all of the minors and is ready for the show

5) McCann is one of the steals of the offseason, gives us the best catching season since AJ

6) Jimenez overcomes slow start, establishes himself as a future middle-of-the-order bat

7) Madrigal does the expected Madrigal things, reaches AAA, looks ready to be our starting 2B

10) Sox fill lower rungs of the organization with younger, more talented prospects than we've seen in a long time
Agree with numbers 1 through 8, disagree with numbers 9 & 10.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Here's my list.

Pretty much agree with your list- a few "honorable mentions"-

Zach Collins showing some real progress, hitting .188 in his last 30 games,improving to .235 in his last 15 and .333 in his last 7.

Gavin Sheets developing power and having a solid season at Birmingham.

The emergence of Stiever as a solid pitching prospect.

Some promising bullpen arms for 2020- Colome, Marshall, Cordero along with Bummer mentioned above.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Another important piece to the puzzle for next year is Kopech has progressed very well from his TJ surgery and will be 100% ready to go in spring training next year.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Yoan Moncada finally became the player we hoped he'd become, and nobody really cared or talked about it because they were too busy talking about the development of Tim Anderson, Lucas Giolito, and Luis Robert.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-27-2019, 04:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Another important piece to the puzzle for next year is Kopech has progressed very well from his TJ surgery and will be 100% ready to go in spring training next year.
Here's an article in The Athletic today about Kopech:
https://theathletic.com/1245605/2019...etter-pitcher/
Old 09-27-2019, 05:04 PM
WSI Prelate

1) Giolito shocking the world

2) McCann being an absolute steal

3) TA adding 100 points to his average without sacrificing any power

4) Moncada doing the same thing

5) Colomé doing a lot better than expected

6) Bummer establishing himself as a legit late-inning guy

7) Abreu showing no signs of age-related decline

8) Engel showing some kind of a pulse at the plate

9) Collins showing flashes of promise

10) Cease showing flashes of promise
Old 09-27-2019, 05:43 PM

I thought of most of these. Collins had a great year and no longer looks lost at the plate in Chicago, so maybe I should have slotted him in around #9. And I forgot about Cordero, but he certainly looks like a keeper. Could be #10.

Sheets? Yeah, good year, but he still has a long way to go. Being able to draft Vaughn was a bigger deal.

Stiever? Great year for him, but the flip side is it looks like the Sox will get very little out of the crop ahead of him -- Stephens, Guerrero, Adams, Fulmer, and who knows about Lambert & Flores. The odds are that some pitcher would have taken a step forward.

Marshall? Great feel-good story, but they didn't flip him and he isn't likely to have a long shelf life.

Colome? Sox sign veteran reliever at market value, he has a great first half, and they fail to flip him for a prospect? I don't see that as a success story. He won't be contributing much to the contending teams.

Abreu? Sure, it feels good to see him have a big year. But he has trouble catching up to a good fastball and I don't see him as contributing much to future contenders either.

Engel? He's definitely improved, but he's just a reserve to be used as sparingly as possible.

Mohoney: I'm surprised you have TA at #3, given that his improvement is only in batting average, and not in walk rate or power or defense.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Here's my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Pretty much agree with your list- a few "honorable mentions"-

Zach Collins showing some real progress, hitting .188 in his last 30 games,improving to .235 in his last 15 and .333 in his last 7.

Gavin Sheets developing power and having a solid season at Birmingham.

The emergence of Stiever as a solid pitching prospect.

Some promising bullpen arms for 2020- Colome, Marshall, Cordero along with Bummer mentioned above.
Good summaries. I generally agree with both posts here. Included in #10, I assume, is the addition of Andrew Vaughn to our organization as well as the promising HS talent that we drafted this year.

As far as Sheets goes, I'll be more excited about it if he can maintain that progress at AAA next year. If both he and Collins can develop into quality MLB LH power bats, that would be a big plus for this team going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
1) Giolito shocking the world

2) McCann being an absolute steal

3) TA adding 100 points to his average without sacrificing any power

4) Moncada doing the same thing

5) Colomé doing a lot better than expected

6) Bummer establishing himself as a legit late-inning guy

7) Abreu showing no signs of age-related decline

8) Engel showing some kind of a pulse at the plate

9) Collins showing flashes of promise

10) Cease showing flashes of promise
Good post. I'd probably swap out Engel for Jimenez's emergence as a lethal force in the middle of our lineup. Not that I disagree with liking Engel's progress. With his defensive ability, he could be a good backup OF going forward.

I don't know if this was your intention or not, but your list doesn't include progress by minor league players. Most specifically Luis Robert going from a disappointing, injury-filled 2018 to a total stud knocking on the door of the majors in 2019.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:48 PM
WSI Prelate

I was struggling to get to 10.

Besides, it’s not Colomé’s fault that the trade deadline was a complete failure. He was brought in as a flip candidate, and they totally botched the “flip” part of the equation.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Besides, it’s not Colomé’s fault that the trade deadline was a complete failure. He was brought in as a flip candidate, and they totally botched the “flip” part of the equation.
"Sox bring in a free agent who lives up to his contract"?
Old 09-27-2019, 06:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
"Sox bring in a free agent who lives up to his contract"?
Colome was not a free agent.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Do you think it’s possible that maybe, some how, some way, that other teams had access to the same underlying stats that pointed towards a second-half regression for Colome, and they weren’t offering much for him? I don’t know how you can conclude that the Sox “botched” the trade deadline unless you know exactly which offers Hahn turned down.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Here's my list.

The MLB guys get the nod ahead of those in the minors.

TA @ 3
McCann @ 4
Eloy @ 5
Robert @ 6
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

It was that difficult to find something positive about Jimenez and Robert this year?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2003