GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2018, 06:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Would you be saying this if Moncada was hitting .300 right now?

He's not hitting .300.

Not.

Even.

Close.

Can we at least agree that he has no business batting lead off?

Send him down to Charlotte, Birmingham, wherever, but for **** sake, get him out of the lead off spot.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Covey breezed through the Yankees' line-up the first time through -- nine up, nine down. That's happened regularly this season for Dylan -- mows them down the first time through. I'm beginning to think his future might be pitching out of the bullpen.

Engel made a terrific catch in the 4th. Maybe the best of the season.

277-241.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanatlanta View Post

He's not hitting .300.

Not.

Even.

Close.

Can we at least agree that he has no business batting lead off?

Send him down to Charlotte, Birmingham, wherever, but for **** sake, get him out of the lead off spot.
All good points, but none of it has anything to do with Sale cutting up uniforms.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 AM
WSI Regular

Moncada looked lost and overmatched last night and it's not even like he faced a top-tier pitcher with nasty stuff. He'll probably always be a strikeout machine but the dude needs some serious work at the plate.

Was he just not ready to be called up or what?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:50 AM
WSI High Priest

The thing I find most vexing about Moncada is that unlike many other young players who have struggled when they first come up (e.g. Sosa, Baez), he's not flailing away at pitches which bounce in or are way outside the zone. He seems to strike out looking a disproportionate percentage of time. Many of these called third strikes seem to be on pitches that pitch trax indicates are outside the zone. For a young hitter, Yoan has excellent plate discipline. Maybe he needs to be more aggressive on borderline pitches?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The thing I find most vexing about Moncada is that unlike many other young players who have struggled when they first come up (e.g. Sosa, Baez), he's not flailing away at pitches which bounce in or are way outside the zone. He seems to strike out looking a disproportionate percentage of time. Many of these called third strikes seem to be on pitches that pitch trax indicates are outside the zone. For a young hitter, Yoan has excellent plate discipline. Maybe he needs to be more aggressive on borderline pitches?
I don't remember where it was exactly, but I seem to remember seeing something a few weeks ago about Moncada leading the league by a significant margin in balls called for strikes, or something along those lines.

Yeah, no pulling punches, Moncada's been a mess, and I'm one of his biggest supporters. I don't imagine sending him down would do all that much at this point, he needs to get better at seeing Major League caliber pitching. Just gotta hope he can right the ship a bit before the end of the year and make strides in the offseason. Everyone knew there was a decent chance he would struggle like this at least initially, just gotta hope that he can make the necessary adjustments in due time.

It sucks to watch, but I think we just need to bite our tongue and give him that time until he's really bringing down a competitive team. Baez might not be a bad comparison--up until this season, he had hit 10% below league average for his career. I just hope the rest of the team will be strong enough in a couple years that they can still win in spite of it if Moncada takes that long to figure it out completely.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 AM
WSI High Priest

And in the “broken record” category, it really sucks that Adam Engel can’t hit.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I don't remember where it was exactly, but I seem to remember seeing something a few weeks ago about Moncada leading the league by a significant margin in balls called for strikes, or something along those lines.

Yeah, no pulling punches, Moncada's been a mess, and I'm one of his biggest supporters. I don't imagine sending him down would do all that much at this point, he needs to get better at seeing Major League caliber pitching. Just gotta hope he can right the ship a bit before the end of the year and make strides in the offseason. Everyone knew there was a decent chance he would struggle like this at least initially, just gotta hope that he can make the necessary adjustments in due time.

It sucks to watch, but I think we just need to bite our tongue and give him that time until he's really bringing down a competitive team. Baez might not be a bad comparison--up until this season, he had hit 10% below league average for his career. I just hope the rest of the team will be strong enough in a couple years that they can still win in spite of it if Moncada takes that long to figure it out completely.
I pretty much agree with this- the one adjustment I would make would be to drop him down in the order- maybe put Avi behind him to get a little protection- there is nothing about his current game that puts him as a lead off hitter.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 08-07-2018, 10:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post

I'd agree on this if all had to do with getting bad calls from umpires. But take away say 30 of those borderline Ks, the guy would still be on Pace for 200+.

There's just something wrong with how he is currently wired. We'd have to have faith in Sox coaching to figure this out.

If the Sox plan not to promote Eloy here in 2018 then give Moncada a chance to hit in front of him in Charlotte. Maybe something rubs of there with youth and aggressiveness.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Moncada looked lost and overmatched last night and it's not even like he faced a top-tier pitcher with nasty stuff. He'll probably always be a strikeout machine but the dude needs some serious work at the plate.

Was he just not ready to be called up or what?
Most of here know that the guy is K machine but why on earth hasn't the Front Office figured it out and get him the hell out of the leadoff spot.
Was he brought up too early last year, maybe.

I'll admit its way too early in his career to be a lost cause but what I can't figure out why just about all of the baseball experts thought that this guy was the greatest thing since sliced bread, there wasn't anything in his minor league career that said that he was on his way to becoming a superstar, would the Red Sox have let him go if he was going to be that great? Now Eloy Jimenez is another story, I see nothing but superstar in him and will be shocked if he does not become an all-star caliber player.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:49 PM
WSI Guru

Never underestimate the ramifications from the fans / media if Moncada was to be sent down at this point.

It shouldn't matter granted...but it does have an impact especially on a front office that many fans have serious doubts about in the first place.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 08-07-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Never underestimate the ramifications from the fans / media if Moncada was to be sent down at this point.

It shouldn't matter granted...but it does have an impact especially on a front office that man fans have serious doubts about in the first place.
With only a few weeks left of the AAA season- I don't see any point in sending him down.

Not sure if they called him up too soon- he looked ready (albeit raw) August/September of 2017 and early this season-
Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Most of here know that the guy is K machine but why on earth hasn't the Front Office figured it out and get him the hell out of the leadoff spot.
Was he brought up too early last year, maybe.

I'll admit its way too early in his career a lost cause but what I can't figure out why just about all of the baseball experts thought that this guy was the greatest thing since sliced bread, there wasn't anything in his minor league career that said that he was on his way to being a superstar, would the Red Sox have let him go if he was going to be that great? Now Eloy Jimenez is another story, I see nothing but superstar in him and will be shocked if he does not become an all-star caliber player.
I agree. Eighteen months ago, Moncada was the consensus number one prospect in baseball. How could so many "experts" be so wrong?

Besides hitting only .220 and on a pace to set the MLB record for strikeouts in a season, Moncada leads all 2nd basemen in MLB in errors.

Let's remember when Moncada was promoted to the White Sox last year, he was hitting .282 at Charlotte. That's not bad, but it's not exceptional. Did the White Sox brass think that Moncada's average would improve in the majors? The old rule of thumb was that a hitter would likely lose 30 points or so in his batting average going from AAA to the majors. If so, that would make Moncada about a .250 hitter.

I did some rough computation that barring injury or benching, Moncada would have to hit around .310 the rest of the season to bring his BA up to .250 at season's end.

Also, I'm not a fan of Anderson either. I don't think Anderson/Moncada is a winning Keystone combo for a team vying for a wild card spot or division championship in a couple of years.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
You cannot keep looking back on this deal.
Correct, we still have good prospects in Kopech and Basabe and it's still way to early on Moncada.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

Moncada only leads off against RHP. He bats 5th or 6th against LHP. But I think the short answer is that the Sox currently have no logical better option than Moncada as their lead off man against RHP -- which is sad.