White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 AM
WSI Regular

Both MLB Trade Rumors and Fangraphs nailed the Bruce years and signing. Good job by both.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Manny Machado and O's agree to 1-yr, $16M contract in his final year before free agency:
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...id-arbitration
Old 01-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Cole to the Astros is official per Rosenthal.

Pirates get back Colin Moran and Joe Musgrove. Moran is the #5 prospect in the Astros system, a corner infielder, and a former top 10 pick, but he’s 25 years old.

This seems like a steal for the Astros.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-land...es/c-264677578

Nice deal for the Astros.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I have to agree. They got Cole without giving up any of their top prospects. The two pitchers could make the deal for Pittsburgh but they are no guarantees. Musgrove probably has a future but has merely been ok so far. Feliz is a strikeout machine (172 in 121IP) but apparently is very hitable as well. Moran and Martin are not particularly exciting.

Classic the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:42 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Classic the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
MLB is turning into the NBA. Four "super-teams", three "very good" teams and the rest are all either **** or rebuilding.

Not a great future is it?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

MLB has tried to create competitive balance. It has succeeded to some degree with almost all teams "in contention" for a wild card birth in the second half the last few years. But it has not succeeded in reining in the "super teams."

The only reason the Yankees and Dodgers are working so hard to get under the salary cap this year is so that they can exceed it again next year with a lesser penalty. It is not stopping them from spending beyond what other teams can. The limits on international signings a couple years ago only urged them on to exceed it... which the Yankees did by signing what seemed like half the top of the class that year. Other teams followed suit to a smaller degree.

And now teams are learning that in order to compete their best path may well be the total tear down and rebuild... which again, only allows the rich teams to get richer by picking over the remains.

MLB's efforts allowed perennial bottom feeders like the Royals and Pirates to resurrect themselves but not for long even with success like the Royals had. Tampa Bay a few years ago looked like they would finally become competitive but they weren't quite able to pull it off.

It will be interesting to see if the Tigers can rebuild themselves successfully under their new owner. Their old owner made them competitive by spending without limit.

Similarly, it will be interesting to see if the Sox can be successful over a long haul after this tear down. They certainly will be for a few years but will they be able to sustain it and join the big boys club?
Old 01-14-2018, 03:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
They certainly will be for a few years but will they be able to sustain it and join the big boys club?
Only if they are willing to spend a LOT of money, more than likely under new ownership.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:22 PM
WSI High Priest

The outcomes of baseball games are too random for super-teams to consistently dominate the game the way they do in the NBA.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-14-2018, 08:32 PM
WSI High Priest

With the failure rate of $20+ million AAV free agents being so high, and the failure rate of $10-$15 million AAV free agents being even higher, teams that have designs of joining the “big boys’ club” eventually will be forced to “throw good money after bad.” This includes relegating underperforming players to lesser roles or, in some cases, casting them aside entirely. Any team that is not willing to spend all the way up to the luxury tax limit, or to occasionally admit defeat on highly-paid underperformers, is better off choosing the small-market route and emphasizing the farm system.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

With all this talk recently of who is in on Darvish, I started to think that maybe the White Sox should be taking a long look at this guy. The free agent class of starting pitchers is not very good over the next 2 seasons and we aren't getting Kershaw. We will NOT win a world series with the group of young pitchers we have in the minors. As much as I love them and I think they are going to be great, you still need that veteran to lead your staff. Darvish may be that guy. I know I'm not real interested in having to give up a haul of prospects to get a Sale kind of pitcher when we are ready to win. Also, it is a little curious but Sale does become a free agent in 2020, I believe. Maybe that's our big signing??

What do you all think? I know it won't happen, but with the contracts that are out there this off season, we could potentially get Darvish on a 4 year contract and that wouldn't hurt the Sox at all.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:40 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Also, it is a little curious but Sale does become a free agent in 2020, I believe. Maybe that's our big signing??
I seriously don't see Sale wanting to come back to the Sox.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
The outcomes of baseball games are too random for super-teams to consistently dominate the game the way they do in the NBA.
Bingo. In the NFL, one game=ten MLB games. A six game winning streak in the NFL is like a MLB team winning 60 in a row (impossible feat). In the NBA, with only five players on the floor at any given moment, it only takes two super studs and really good stud to dominate the game. In Basketball, you don't have the ability to do the equivalent of pitching around a hot hitter or wearing down a Clayton Kershaw to get the to Bullpen in the 7th or 8th to score your runs.

MLB has more superteams on paper than it does on the field.

Quote:
I know I'm not real interested in having to give up a haul of prospects to get a Sale kind of pitcher when we are ready to win. Also, it is a little curious but Sale does become a free agent in 2020, I believe. Maybe that's our big signing??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I seriously don't see Sale wanting to come back to the Sox.
I'm with Nellie on this one. I'm not sure I would want him back then. He will be 31 years old in 2020 and, if he is still a stud the Red Sox will have already given him an extension. I am also concerned that while he is in his 20's, he seems to run out of gas in mid August each season.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
With all this talk recently of who is in on Darvish, I started to think that maybe the White Sox should be taking a long look at this guy. The free agent class of starting pitchers is not very good over the next 2 seasons and we aren't getting Kershaw. We will NOT win a world series with the group of young pitchers we have in the minors. As much as I love them and I think they are going to be great, you still need that veteran to lead your staff. Darvish may be that guy. I know I'm not real interested in having to give up a haul of prospects to get a Sale kind of pitcher when we are ready to win. Also, it is a little curious but Sale does become a free agent in 2020, I believe. Maybe that's our big signing??

What do you all think? I know it won't happen, but with the contracts that are out there this off season, we could potentially get Darvish on a 4 year contract and that wouldn't hurt the Sox at all.
I don't agree with you on trying to acquire Darvish but your heart is in the right place. The team needs veteran pitchers. Still. I don't see JR spending any money on this team. The 2018 payroll will be lower than the 2017 payroll. And the 2019 payroll will be even lower than the 2018 payroll. Just remember, low payrolls equal more profits for JR and his investors. That's how I see this. I wish I felt differently but I don't.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

As others have said, I don't see Sale coming back... ever. Great pitcher but immature. And, he runs out of gas late and forgets to pitch rather than throw when he gets angry.

I disagree about the need for a veteran starter at this point. You never know about injuries so one may be needed later but at the moment you have Kopech and Hansen looking like #1 type pitchers. Giolito easily slotting in at #3 and some mix of Cease (who I am warming up to), Lopez, Dunning, or Rodon (another top of the rotation type if he stays healthy) before you even get into the more run of the mill back of the rotation guys we have in the minors. They could be outstanding AND over loaded by 2020.

Typically I would agree with having a veteran to front all of that young talent but not in this case. I don't want anything slowing down or blocking any of those guys from getting their chance.

The bullpen on the other hand should have some veteran arms added in the next couple years.

Last edited by Andrew C White; 01-15-2018 at 10:29 AM.