White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2019, 09:13 AM
WSI Personality

Default Scherzer 2500 K

https://cuts.diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2...0_59_4000K.mp4

3rd fastest to get to 2500 k's. Only Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez did it in fewer innings pitched and he did it quicker than Nolan Ryan.

Crazy to think how Scherzer didn't even pass 200 IP for a season until his late 20's and since then he's been arguably the best pitcher in baseball.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Living in DC, it's almost absurd how routine this kind of stuff has become for Max Scherzer. He just struts out there every 5 days, throws some pitches, walks around the mound, and and half the time accomplishes something noteworthy or historical. Nationals fans are mostly angry and disappointed right now because their team has never gotten out of the first round of the playoffs and everyone's favorite player just left for the hated Phillies, but in retrospect their grandkids are going to be asking them what seeing Max Scherzer pitch in person was like.

My favorite Scherzer story is one game I went to with my wife, who is a nurse. He took a comebacker off the leg, tried to do his strut around the mound afterwards, and after a step or two just collapsed into a heap. My wife was sure his leg was broken. The trainer came out, but Max Scherzer just got up and started pitching again. He won the start. That same game, he threw an immaculate inning but I missed it because I was on the concourse getting nachos.

The normal laws do not apply to this man.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-27-2019, 12:22 PM
WSI Personality

As someone who loves baseball in general he's definitely fun to watch. I don't see any signs of him slowing down and unless he gets injured really badly, the guy is a future hall of famer and will go down as one of the best of the generation.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:25 AM
WSI Prelate

To think the Tigers had him and Verlander in their rotation at one time.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
To think the Tigers had him and Verlander in their rotation at one time.
Yeah, I was glad to see him leave the division. Great trade by the Tigers to get him, I believe it was a 3-way trade where they gave up Granderson and Edwin Jackson. Also, great free agent signing by the Nats.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yeah, I was glad to see him leave the division. Great trade by the Tigers to get him, I believe it was a 3-way trade where they gave up Granderson and Edwin Jackson. Also, great free agent signing by the Nats.

Scherzer reminds me of Bob Gibson. A post from another site shows the similarities in intensity, the late bloom and both have stolen bases. Scherzer is from St. Louis so maybe the that was his model, and likely his father's when growing up.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Congrats to Max, he’s easily my favorite Pitcher in the Big Leagues today. Author of a couple no hitters and a 20 strikeout game. I think he’s a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame.

PS: I’m still pissed at José Tabata for this bush league move that denied Max a Perfect Game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rhe7yJEaNoc

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"