White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Itís a shame that Matt Kemp is in the midst of a career resurgence. A bad Kemp would have been the perfect bad contract to take back to move Shields and Soria for something worthwhile.

Kemp for Shields and Soria basically would have been a wash salary-wise for 2018 (the Dodgers would have come out a little over $1 million ahead), but it would have represented nearly $19 million in payroll savings for 2019. I have to think that such a high amount of reclaimed cash would have been worth some decent prospect capital, even for a prospect-stingy team like the Dodgers.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I don't know if it's that unreasonable. He's right about needing to prove to free agents we're ready to compete. And both guys would be under team control for a bit.

I'm not sure 2/3 of Kopech, Eloy, or Robert is going to be the cost because that's way more than anyone else can pay really. One or more of our non-Eloy outfielders, a guy like Giolito, and a lower ceiling starter prospect would probably beat all other offers. I don't know if you've looked at our minor depth lately, but we've got like 7 really good outfielder prospects that are producing at a high level (plus one more we just drafted). This might be a good time to deal away a little depth for the right long term piece.
The idea would be a bit more reasonable to me if deGrom and Syndergaard were locked up longer. Syndergaard would make slightly more sense since he is under control for 3 more years but deGrom is a 2 year guy. The pieces the Sox would need to part with for a short term ace would be quite a bit. I imagine the Mets would be looking for a package similar to what the Sox got in return for Sale. Not sure it would be worth it considering the Sox are well on their way to 100 losses this year. I'd feel stronger about going after someone like Syndergaard if there were more signs that this year's squad was closer to contending. I realize that rebuilds can suddenly turn and the Sox could get really good, really fast but its a lot to gamble a theoretical package of two of our Top 100 guys and probably a couple of mid-tier guys too. I will admit, I like the idea of a rotation that is fronted by Syndergaard, Kopech, and Lopez though.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-03-2018, 06:39 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I imagine the Mets would be looking for a package similar to what the Sox got in return for Sale.

Maybe then the Sox should offer the mets what they got for sale.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Jon Morosi floats a ridiculous idea that the White Sox trade for DeGrom or Syndergaard https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-could-...?tid=282421090

No possible way. Their asking price would rightfully be at the Chris Sale level, which means say goodbye to 2/3 of Kopech, Eloy, or Robert. Or 1 of those players plus Dunning or Cease and then 2 more lower level decent prospects. This would undo a big part of the rebuild so I don't see how Morosi thinks this is even plausible.
It would completely undo a rebuild.
You know how you show free agents that you are ready to win? Win 80+ games with your young players.
A FA or 2 will not transform this 60 win team into a contender is laughable. And trading for short term players will not attract players to sign with the Sox.
Forget the contrivances...build a team for goodness sakes.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Their asking price would rightfully be at the Chris Sale level
Rightfully? Sale was, and is, a much better pitcher than either of the Mets pitchers. And signed to a much more valuable contract. The asking price should be on the order of half.

And, of course, the Sox should have absolutely no interest.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Iím trying to think of a way for the Sox to trade a low-level prospect for Shin Soo Choo (with the Rangers picking up some of his salary), and then flipping Choo (and additional cash) to the Angels for a higher-level prospect.

I doubt the Rangers want to help the Angels directly, but the Angels desperately need a RF, and the Rangers want to get Willie Calhoun into their major league lineup.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I’m trying to think of a way for the Sox to trade a low-level prospect for Shin Soo Choo (with the Rangers picking up some of his salary), and then flipping Choo (and additional cash) to the Angels for a higher-level prospect.

I doubt the Rangers want to help the Angels directly, but the Angels desperately need a RF, and the Rangers want to get Willie Calhoun into their major league lineup.
They certainly should. Somebody's got to win that division and it won't be the Rangers this year. Why not help your own team while also hurting your competition long term by trading a declining vet to them for a young player?
Too many teams have this backwards....division teams are really the best teams to trade with if you're dealing short-terms and decliners mid-season.
I'd be perfectly happy if the Sox traded Abreu to the Indians.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They certainly should. Somebody's got to win that division and it won't be the Rangers this year. Why not help your own team while also hurting your competition long term by trading a declining vet to them for a young player?
Too many teams have this backwards....division teams are really the best teams to trade with if you're dealing short-terms and decliners mid-season.
I'd be perfectly happy if the Sox traded Abreu to the Indians.

I think too much money remains - about $50 million - on Choo's contract for the Rangers to be willing to eat the whole thing.

Another wrinkle is that Choo has a limited no-trade clause. There is another way the Sox could approach this, though, if Choo is willing to come to the Sox:

If the Sox believe Garcia isn't part of the future, and another team might like to add his hot bat to fill a corner OF hole, the Sox could deal Garcia to that team. I imagine the Rangers would basically give us Choo, plus some money, just to take him off their hands. We could hold on to Choo for the rest of this year, and then deal him at the deadline next year, when he will only have 1.5 seasons (30 million) remaining on his contract. In the meantime, Choo would get on base plenty at the top of our order for our run producers to get RBI opportunities; maybe Choo leads off while Moncada hits second and Eloy (once he arrives) hits third. With Choo on base and Eloy behind him, Moncada would see a lot more pitches he can drive.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Rightfully? Sale was, and is, a much better pitcher than either of the Mets pitchers. And signed to a much more valuable contract. The asking price should be on the order of half.

And, of course, the Sox should have absolutely no interest.
The Sox got two BA Top 10 prospects (Kopech, Moncada), a mid level prospect (Basabe), and a lottery ticket (Diaz) for Sale who was elite. Quintana on a team friendly deal got two Top 100 prospects (Cease and Eloy) and two lottery tickets. Q wasn't elite but certainly a front rotation starter.

For 3 years of Syndergaard, I'd expect the Mets to ask for two BA Top 100 level prospects. I don't see them being motivated to move a guy like him unless they get that type of return. And yes, I view it as unlikely and probably unwise for the Sox to pursue him but if the Mets do move him or deGrom, I expect the prospect cost to be quite high.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:30 AM
WSI Personality

Machado believes he's a SS and is basically telling teams that's the position he'll be playing: https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1528405

If he sticks to that no matter what, I'll take a pass on him. He's not a good SS. He's a 3B, and he's going to cost himself a TON of money if he remains stubborn.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Machado believes he's a SS and is basically telling teams that's the position he'll be playing: https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1528405

If he sticks to that no matter what, I'll take a pass on him. He's not a good SS. He's a 3B, and he's going to cost himself a TON of money if he remains stubborn.

Not if he's thinking, "Increase your offer and I'll play 3rd base".
Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Astros just sent Giles to the minors. Not only has he been crappy, but he apparently cursed out Hinch after getting shelled and lifted from the game on Tuesday night. Houston would seem like a possible trade partner for Soria.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 07-16-2018, 11:35 PM
WSI High Priest

With no actual baseball to watch today, I started thinking about potential trades.

I think the Aís would be a good landing spot for James Shields. His ability to go deep into games every fifth day would help save their very good bullpen from burning out down the stretch. Their park would help mitigate his problems with the long ball. The prospect cost would be bare-minimum. The salary cost should be pretty low as well, with the White Sox covering about half of what the Padres arenít covering already.

I donít think the Aís can afford to spend the money it would take to add someone like Cole Hamels to the mix, and I donít think they will give up the amount of young talent it would take to acquire a high-demand rental like J.A. Happ, let alone a longer-term pitcher like Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard, or Chris Archer.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

So the move of Shields to the A's is to shed some salary obligation and opens a slot in the rotation?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
So the move of Shields to the A's is to shed some salary obligation and opens a slot in the rotation?
I figure they could get either one semi-interesting prospect or two lotto tickets out of the deal, plus the salary relief.
Closed Thread