White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
WSI Regular

Location: Springfield, Va (Northern Va - outside Washington, DC)
Exclamation Tyler Kuhn = our future Justin Pedroia

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=518906

I know it is only short season Rookie League, but that is why I said "future"...
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
WSI Personality

Somebody's got to say it, so it might as well be me... Dustin has a twin brother?!?

Seriously though, those are very encouraging numbers. Can't get too excited, though... let's not crown him the next Pedroia until he's at least hitting that way in Birmingham or Charlotte.

I'm a lifetime fan with no connection to Chicago -- living the dream through the TV screen.

All-time Attendance Record: 4-6
Old 09-05-2008, 12:54 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't know, I think Beckham is the real deal and will probably be moved to 2B with Alexei's arm being superior at short. I'm not sure where Kuhn would play unless he learns to play 3B, unless Kenny trades one of TCM or Beckham. Somehow I don't see that happening. This is of course assuming Beckham pans out and Alexei's season isn't a one and done year.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

He has gotten a lot of positive PR in Great Falls this summer. When they drafted him there were comments that his tools aren't fantastic but he's a real ballplayer. I seem to recall some comments about his arm not playing well for a long run at SS.

Like you said, it's only rookie ball so everything is taken with a huge grain of salt. They had some guys last year who hit really well in the Pioneer League, only to struggle in low A.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUSN View Post
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=518906

I know it is only short season Rookie League, but that is why I said "future"...
So I'm guessing he's a combination between Pedroia and Morneau?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turners56 View Post
A 5'5 dude with excellent gap power and a monstrous home run swing. I like it!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned

While its nice to have a guy hit .378 in Rookie ball, I don't think this Kuhn character is anything special, YET.

As another poster stated, If he can do it again next year at Birmingham or Charlotte, then MAYBE we can get amped up about him. After all, even the immortal Brian Anderson hit .388 at Great Falls, albeit in 13 games:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...derson-3.shtml
Old 09-06-2008, 12:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
While its nice to have a guy hit .378 in Rookie ball, I don't think this Kuhn character is anything special, YET.

As another poster stated, If he can do it again next year at Birmingham or Charlotte, then MAYBE we can get amped up about him. After all, even the immortal Brian Anderson hit .388 at Great Falls, albeit in 13 games:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...derson-3.shtml
Yes, because it's so common for a guy to jump from Rookie Ball to AA.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turners56 View Post
He does not showing anywhere near the power of either one of those guys right now. He has 3 HRs in 251 official ABs. He does have 23 doubles and 9 triples, but his forte is getting on at a high percentage.

(And he's 5'10" not 5'5".)
Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
He does not showing anywhere near the power of either one of those guys right now. He has 3 HRs in 251 official ABs. He does have 23 doubles and 9 triples, but his forte is getting on at a high percentage.

(And he's 5'10" not 5'5".)
I was kidding, OMG. Come on people. Think for yourselves! I thought it was funny that the TC said Dustin Pedroia was called Justin Pedroia.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Those are definitely some good stats, but I agree that I will temper my excitement until I see him have success in a higher league.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM
WSI Prelate

I love the enthusiasm on the farm with all the crap it takes - but I am willing to give all these kids a few years before really evaluating them.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
Yes, because it's so common for a guy to jump from Rookie Ball to AA.
Point taken, though I WAS referring to the other poster who suggested this.

But it is true that there are many more .378 Rookie Ball hitters that do nothing with their careers than there are former .378 Rookie Ball hitters that succeed at a higher level. I for one see nothing to get amped up about, until Kuhn can do it in AA and AAA.

For that matter, I'd like to have him hit in AA and AAA, AND learn how to catch the ball at the same time. Whether he does it next year, 2010, or 2011, I'd like to see him do it in AA and AAA.

If its not too much to ask, I'd like him to be able to learn how to throw, and run the bases, at a higher level than Rookie Ball, too.

Oh, and if I'm not being too demanding, I'd like Mr. Kuhn to be able to stay healthy throughout the process of learning how to hit, catch, throw, and run at a higher level than Rookie Ball.

In sum, I'll check in on young Mr. Kuhn in 2010 or 2011, by which time we should be able to see if he has any REAL potential to play in the Bigs.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
Point taken, though I WAS referring to the other poster who suggested this.

But it is true that there are many more .378 Rookie Ball hitters that do nothing with their careers than there are former .378 Rookie Ball hitters that succeed at a higher level. I for one see nothing to get amped up about, until Kuhn can do it in AA and AAA.

For that matter, I'd like to have him hit in AA and AAA, AND learn how to catch the ball at the same time.

If its not too much to ask, I'd like him to be able to learn how to throw, and run the bases, at a higher level than Rookie Ball, too.

Oh, and if I'm not being too demanding, I'd like Mr. Kuhn to be able to stay healthy throughout the process of learning how to hit, catch, throw, and run at a higher level than Rookie Ball.

In sum, I'll check in on young Mr. Kuhn in 2010 or 2011, by which time we should be able to see if he has any REAL potential to play in the Bigs.
Don't completely dismiss rookie ball statistics. They do matter in the grand scheme of things.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Don't completely dismiss rookie ball statistics. They do matter in the grand scheme of things.
Sure. Did Brian Anderson's .388 in Rookie Ball correlate to great things in his future?

All kidding aside, I don't put much value into stats at this level. There are simply too many suspects and too few real prospects at this level, IMO.

But I do agree that it is better for Kuhn to hit .378 than it is for him to hit .278 in Rookie Ball.