White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Dayan Dyin' in Double A?

I haven't got the chance to see much Birmingham coverage this year, but looking at his stats, has he looked as bad as hes produced? 219 average 27 Ks to 2 Walks, a 228 OBP, an OPS that would make Podsednik look Ruthian. Any info on whats going on with him?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Very young kid seeing American pitching for the first time? Give him some time. Of course he was over hyped here, he never had a chance to play in Chicago right away. At least a year of seasoning in the minors is necessary for most kids his age.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

He just turned 20, is adjusting to a new lifestyle and culture, and has a ways to go. Thinking he could step right in like Ramirez did last year was not realistic. This kid is 6 or 7 years younger than him. You just have to hope he doesn't need 3 years of minor leagues because then the Sox would be paying $10 million for one year of being a rookie.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I haven't got the chance to see much Birmingham coverage this year, but looking at his stats, has he looked as bad as hes produced? 219 average 27 Ks to 2 Walks, a 228 OBP, an OPS that would make Podsednik look Ruthian. Any info on whats going on with him?
I haven't seen him play, but others here will say it's merely becoming acclimated to life in America, our style of play, and we should give him a break. I agree with this to a point, but there is a time when we should be somewhat alarmed. What is really disappointing is that absurdly low walk total for a guy who is supposed to be extremely powerful. Pitchers do not seem to be afraid of him, so until he heats up and starts punishing pitches, the pitchers should continue to throw the ball right around the strike zone and let him swing and miss. I understand that Latin players traditionally do not walk very often, but he needs to pick it up relatively soon.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
WSI High Priest

I will echo alot of what has been said. Give him time as he is still acclimating not only to this country, but this country's nuances of the game. Unfortunately he can't take too much time, as his clock is ticking in regards to his contract.

From what I've read he is having loads of trouble hitting breaking pitches, particularly the slider. It eats him up. I'm hoping that once he gets a handle on the slider his plate discipline will improve, though I have a feeling he will remain a free swinger. Also the power potential is there, but it hasn't translated to game situations yet.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
WSI High Priest

He had an 0-19 in there. He's actually doing better in the last 10 days, including a 3 run homer yesterday. By the end of the season, I think the numbers will be there.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
I will echo alot of what has been said. Give him time as he is still acclimating not only to this country, but this country's nuances of the game. Unfortunately he can't take too much time, as his clock is ticking in regards to his contract.

From what I've read he is having loads of trouble hitting breaking pitches, particularly the slider. It eats him up. I'm hoping that once he gets a handle on the slider his plate discipline will improve, though I have a feeling he will remain a free swinger. Also the power potential is there, but it hasn't translated to game situations yet.
Ohhhhhh, so he has The Joe Borchard Syndrome?!?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
He had an 0-19 in there. He's actually doing better in the last 10 days, including a 3 run homer yesterday. By the end of the season, I think the numbers will be there.

The sad thing is, that lineup is stacked. I know he has to adjust, but when you have a lineup like that a slump should be .240 avg, IMO.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMan View Post
Ohhhhhh, so he has The Joe Borchard Syndrome?!?
You could drive a truck through Borchard's swing. I hope that is not what is going on.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
WSI Personality

The dude is one of the youngest-if not the youngest-player in the league, he has been in the country a few months, and as noted he had a tough 0-19 stretch that he has already broken out of. While his stats aren't great he is holding his own, and is in fact leading a stacked B-ham team in RBIs. He probably won't ever be a walk machine but everything else points to him being a very good hitter.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Burns View Post
The dude is one of the youngest-if not the youngest-player in the league, he has been in the country a few months, and as noted he had a tough 0-19 stretch that he has already broken out of. While his stats aren't great he is holding his own, and is in fact leading a stacked B-ham team in RBIs. He probably won't ever be a walk machine but everything else points to him being a very good hitter.

I am kinda worried about him being an Adam Dunn type hitter, .230 avg 250k's but with like only 50 BB's. Then again he is 20, and hopefully he can be taught to take walks.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
WSI High Priest

I didn't mean this to be a Bash Dayan thread. I am incredibly alarmed by his low OPS and horrible K:BB ratios and I know he is young, and he is getting adjusted. I know he can improve. I was more looking from those who have seen him to see if anyone knew what was going on. Is it breaking pitches, is he pressing, is it everything, just some bad luck etc.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Banned

I could of swore, that I read when he was 1st optioned to the minors he was going to AAA, then all of a sudden, someone posted a AA roster and he was on it.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM
WSI Prelate

20 years old.

Look at Justin Upton, and tell me about a guy who is still acclimating to the league.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:51 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMan View Post
I am kinda worried about him being an Adam Dunn type hitter, .230 avg 250k's but with like only 50 BB's. Then again he is 20, and hopefully he can be taught to take walks.
Isn't Adam Dunn famous for his BB's? He had like 120 last year. Still strikes out a ton though.