White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 11:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Good Article on Jared Mitchell

CSN CHICAGO
Old 02-27-2010, 11:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Mitchell really impressed me during the College World Series. I'm hoping he can improve enough to come up for good sometime next year.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 02-27-2010, 11:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Mitchell really impressed me during the College World Series. I'm hoping he can improve enough to come up for good sometime next year.
I'm going to guess 2012 at the earliest as he has many things he needs to refine. Base stealing, reducing the K-rate, and hitting lefties all need work.

It sure is fun to have a player with his upside though. Hopefully we draft more of them in the future.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 AM
WSI Regular

I was at game on Saturday and Monday and Mitchell was easily the most impressive white sox player over those 2 days, easily. The kid will be called up at the very least as a September call up this year. He is a good sized kid who can fly. He showed his speed on a triple that was to the left field gap. Pretty impressive to see someone leg out a triple to left field. I was surprised how big he is.

I also thought De Aza looked pretty good as a 4th/5th OF. Good skills to have on bench.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by broker3d View Post
I was at game on Saturday and Monday and Mitchell was easily the most impressive white sox player over those 2 days, easily. The kid will be called up at the very least as a September call up this year. He is a good sized kid who can fly. He showed his speed on a triple that was to the left field gap. Pretty impressive to see someone leg out a triple to left field. I was surprised how big he is.

I also thought De Aza looked pretty good as a 4th/5th OF. Good skills to have on bench.
Idk about this year. I've heard he still has a lot of work to do on his swing. Also, he won't be ready for at least a couple years. At least, that's what I've heard.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Banned

Haha. Mitchell will not be up this year. Good tools, but not many skills. Not yet at least. I'm a big fan though.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Idk about this year. I've heard he still has a lot of work to do on his swing. Also, he won't be ready for at least a couple years. At least, that's what I've heard.
You would be correct in that he has plenty to work on. Most importantly I want to see a big cut in the K-rate.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Haha. Mitchell will not be up this year. Good tools, but not many skills. Not yet at least. I'm a big fan though.

He will be a September call up.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you basing this on the two spring training games you saw or, you know, logic?

He could be a September call-up, maybe for the last week, to dangle a carrot, but by all indications he is extremely unlikely to see any meaningful time this season, and fairly unlikely to see garbage time.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Are you basing this on the two spring training games you saw or, you know, logic?

He could be a September call-up, maybe for the last week, to dangle a carrot, but by all indications he is extremely unlikely to see any meaningful time this season, and fairly unlikely to see garbage time.
Yep, based on a whole 2 spring training games. It's not like I had a sit down with Kenny.

IMO, he will get a Tyler Flowers Taste of the Bigs September callup.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep, based on a whole 2 spring training games. It's not like I had a sit down with Kenny.

IMO, he will get a Tyler Flowers Taste of the Bigs September callup.
The only reason I ask is this: there is a ton of evidence that points to Mitchell being a "take-it-slow" sort of guy. Your report does nothing to refute what everyone has said, and that's that Mitchell is raw as hell, talented as hell, but nowhere near ready. Flowers was polished. Mitchell is not.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
WSI High Priest

No way is he a call up this year. Heck, Jordan Danks may not taste much of the bigs this year. Mitchell is a project. IF WE RUSH HIM, WE WILL LOSE HIM. He is not a Gordon Beckham prospect, or even a Jordan Danks prospect, that has the defined skill to rise fast. He is a prospect who has 5 good tools and has to learn how to use them. In a way, the White Sox are working on breaking him down to build him back up. For his size, the kid had no idea how to square up a ball, hence the lack of power in College. However, he has the chance to hit 35-40 doubles AND 20-30 homers if he can hone in his power.

This kid has a chance to be really good. But he is still really raw. ZERO POINT in rushing him and hurting his development. All we need is him to come up still as a high strike out hitter, strike out the bulk of 15-20 at bats and mess with his confidence.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Mitchell will not be in the majors this year. No way. No chance.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
WSI Regular

Rushing the kid and giving him a taste of the bigs in September are two totally different things. The kid was extremely impressive (yes in only 2 games). I by no means think he is going to be a contributor to our season this year, simply a September call up. After what I saw this weekend, both physically and skills, that is not a stretch. It'll be 2011 or 2012 before he is a regular but I fully thinks he gets his September cuf of coffee in 2010.

I'm not trying to compare Jared to Tyler Flowers or anybody else. I bring up Flowers because I believe that is the type of trip to the big leagues I think he will get. It'll be a taste of the show and not big expectations to be on roster coming out of spring training in 2011. Just like Tyler Flowers. Mitchell has a body of a guy who I could see growing into a corner outfielder. Jordan Danks also looked more the size of a corner outfielder than a CF.

And let's be realistic, in seeing Jared Mitchell for only 2 games in early spring training there is no argument that I will be able to provide you to make you think he would get a September call up if you already think otherwise.

I love how Kenny went out and got Jared Mitchell on the high ceiling. I hope he continues to do that with many of his position draft choices.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:29 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
If that's the case we should be cruising to a nice 90+ loss season.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know